IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Ok so, Euphony is built on Archlinux, Audiolinux is built on Archlinux.

The same RoonServer and Roon Bridge code runs on Archlinux, both the Euphony and Audiolinux variants.

So most of the time the same Roon and Archlinux code is running. So what is different?

We don't know the difference because we can't look into Euphony as there is no root access.

With Audiolinux we have root and can experiment with tunable parameters and new software components all day long.

Euphony is expensive. Archlinux is not.

Why would one use Euphony to run Roon?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

10 hours ago, bobfa said:

Because it sounds better!  On my system, to my ear a lot better.  Also to three others who know my system and have listened to both. 

I really want others to try!  

So you are comparing the Audiolinux out of the box experience with the Euphony out of the box experience?

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Lots of permutations

That's my point. Audiolinux is highly tunabable with dozens of knobs and switches yielding many combinations and permutations with awful to gorgeous SQ.

As the code base is the same, Euphony is tuned to one instance of those combinations and permutations. This out of the box configuration is one that you and your friends enjoy. That's cool.

Nevertheless, I would argue that there exists a configuration of Audiolinux that is equal to or exceeds the SQ of Euphony. It is just that you haven't found that configuration yet. :)

1 hour ago, mriguy said:

Hi Everyone! 

Rats!  It appears that I could use your help getting my Euphony installation up and running. Here's the story.

The NUC is a NUC6i3syh.  It has no drives, other than the Euphony USB boot stick.  I freshly formatted the USB boot stick and used the Euphony Trial download utility to populate the USB boot drive.  On the NUC, I pressed F2 to  select a legacy BIOS boot and selected USB as the highest priority boot device. 

When the NUC boots I can get to the Euphony configuration screen, on another computer's browser. It all looks and acts fine there. I told Euphony to set itself up as a Roon Endpoint.  It says it is Active. When I press Start (at the top) it tells me that Euphony should now be visible to Roon as a viable endpoint....  but it isn't.

I notice that when the NUC boots, it has one Red [FAILED] line at the top of the boot list.  The error says: "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules."  I'm guessing that's not right and that it could be the cause of my problems.   All of the other lines in the boot text have a pretty green [OK]. 

Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Euphony_Error.jpg

Ignore this problem. It's happening in AL as well. Must be a bug distributed with the latest Archlinux updates. It seems to have no consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

Here roonserver to roonbridge plays dxd files perfectly over wifi. I've never tried roonserver to squeezelite let alone dop, but its hard to believe wifi is to blame.

If you install the iw package and run $iw dev [wifi device name] station dump you can see the signal strength and speed of the wifi link.

23 minutes ago, Dev said:

My issue seems to be related to network performance. Changed to wired Ethernet and everything is working as expected. I use Airport extender which showed signal strength as excellent (w/ speed 300mbps) since it's located within a feet from the NUC. What I do know is 192k/DoP files played without issues when running AL on both the NUCs and both were connected over wifi. With Euphony running on the server I had to use wired Ethernet since they don't support wifi, while the endpoint NUC is still on wifi running AL, I noticed this shutter/stutter issue when playing Dop or 192k files. So it could be the problem with the extender when bridging between the Ethernet to wifi.

I wonder if the extender is routing traffic back to your router and forward again. 

• 2 months later...