IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

I really appreciate the sweat, effort and money put on this findings to later be shared to us all.

I have been using AL/NUC7PJYH as Roon endpoint and MacMini as Roon server thanks to @rickca  @lmitche @romaz and@austinpop 

Although i'm a nob in these hardware/software territories, i have learned a little more, and for me this Euphony OS arrives with great expectations (thanks @bobfa)

And because the people from Euphony consider that "one machine to rule them all" with their OS, I'm considering building a fanless server/endpoint like the one Rajiv and Romaz have suggested (Intel 8700, Asrock H370) where i have the flexibility of adding a i2s PCIE card (my DAC is supposed to have the best sound via i2s, although i don't know how BIG the improvement would be having the i2s card instead of feeding my DAC via USB and the adding cost of that card alone is about $400), OR just a simple NUC7DNHE using a Paul Hynes SR4 to power it.

In either case if future findings show that two machines are better, i will still have the AL/NUC7PJYH to use as an endpoint.

Any suggestions to which path would be the smartest to choose ?

Regards

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

On 4/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, bobfa said:

I would start out as simple as possible.  I think it really looks like the power supply is of greater import than ever!  Do not let this crazy experiment lead you down a path that is not comfortable.  

This is actually some of the testing I want to do when the Roon related software issues I have found are fixed.  (Any Day now).  Both AudioLinux and Euphony make it pretty simple to swap things around.    I am a Roon user so i am sure I have some bias there!  I do not have the power supplies I need to do all the testing.  My 7i7 NUC endpoint is running at 12V on a JS-2 rail.  It will run Roon server and Stylus just fine.  Running with a single device i can bring my HDPLEX 200 in at 19v on the NUC if needed. I have to get the time to do all this work.  I may also bring my Xeon server in to test on the main system.  I did some quick tests and it did not seem to do as well as split boxes.    

Thanks !

Does the USB stick need to be in a specific "Format" in order to launch the TRIAL ?

I ma having trouble booting 

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

11 minutes ago, Poldi said:

I also am unable to boot my NUC. In my case the flash drive is now recognized in BIOS in contrast to before when UEFI boot was not supported.

But now I only get as far as the Euphony boot menu. When it then tries to start "Euphony-Linux" automatically the following error message flashes up:

"Invalid boot signature 0x0, bailing out
Booting kernel failed: bad file number"

Then it tries to start the system automatically again, countdown from 3 seconds, same error message and so on. a loop.

I disabled secure boot so normally an error regarding invalid boot signature shouldn't even happen, right? Or is it the second part of the error message which is relevant?

Anyway I am at a loss what to do and Euphony support couldn't help either

On my new laptop which uses UEFI boot I'm getting the same error message.

BTW the checksum of my downloaded image is ok and the partitions on my flash drive are also ok according to Euphony support.

This is what ram getting too:

This is what shows below when keeping pressing the “Enter”:

“Invalid boot signature 0X310a bailing out booting Kernel failed bad file number

Loading ../umlinuz-linux-rt-bfq failed: bad file number”

I already wrote this to Željko, but i guess they are sleeping now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, davide256 said:

RAM root  loads the needed OS  and (when enabled) configuration files to RAM so that no disk access is required  for Euphony program to run.  For whatever reason

Euphony states you can't access the My Music directory in RAM root mode.

If you enable the buffer option it will move your track completely to RAM before playback; drive activity during playback degrades good audio.

Enabling also the cache option ( located on boot drive) is useful  if you have a very fast boot drive (Optane like solution) or  slow external media.

Data will be buffered faster.

Think media disk access= electrical noise pollution of the NUC.

I  recommend using an external media drive and USB boot to RAM root with buffer enabled. That should allow cleanest NUC  environment. I have

an Optane SSD as boot drive  but  found  it and the cache option  "nice to haves" vs the "must have" options of RAM root and buffer.

The better your power supply, the better your end result.

Note that music db synch can be a little funky with Euphony; as in tell it your drives, then go have a cup of coffee... should have all your media found

if you allow several minutes.

Hello David,

I have RamRoot enabled but can't understand what do you mean buy "activate "Buffer & Cache", i only can find activate RamRoot...what am i missing here ?

Thanks !!

• 3 months later...

Has anyone has an issue with Euphony lately.... ?

Mine stopped playing while playing via Roon (StylusEp), i rebooted and found that is asking for "Euphony Login" & "Password" but i have neither, it was automatically every time

IMG-4451.thumb.jpg.cf17ca431595f49c7760d4cdc15db121.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Dev said:

1586720323_ScreenShot2020-01-15at12_52_28PM.thumb.png.ad78865a50f1bd33d4fb517fdde6da44.png

This is interesting. As the Summus is basically a NUC8, I wonder what those special features are ?

Perhaps with a marketing intention...

• 1 month later...

If anybody on this forum is running Roon + Stylus Ep ?

Can you please share where you have found your best CPU isolation set up and Min/Max Frequency ?

Thanks !

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had trouble connecting to Euphony from your servers ?

I finished building an NEW server with Intel CPU & Asus MoBo and when launching Euphony it seems it is not getting NETWORK. Im using a MacMini with wifi as an Euphony remote where i use ROON + Stylus Ep, i also have tried disconnecting the ER Switch and go directly from router as Zeljko suggests in " Euphony is not accessible over network " and nothing

Does anyone has found a way to avoid this situation ?

Thanks in advance for your help !!

image.thumb.png.ab991c201faaefb3d623214541be9e4e.png

1 hour ago, di-fi said:

Are you transfering an existing Euphony licence to an other network card? Contact Euphony for transfer to new machine.

I do not 100% understand your setup (where is Roon installed?) but if your new machine is running Euphony and connected directly to a DAC you should run Euphony Stylus and not Euphony ep.

Hope this helps.

PS The screen shot seems perfectly normal

I was having trouble getting network with my actual ASUS Rog Strix Z490-E + i7-10700K, the ethernet input seems to not be given the task, so when i plug a Ethernet PCIE card things got resolved, but still remains why the ethernet port on the MoBo is not working...

Thank you

1 hour ago, Topk said:

Is it intel 2.5g Ethernet? The reason I ask is that this specific Ethernet is not supported by Euphony in the current version, will be supported in the new major update later this year. I have the same issue. 

Ohhhh Exactly, that is why then...

Thanks for that 👌

• 4 weeks later...

I can't make my MoBo ethernet ports work with Euphony, i was thinking that with the new upgrade that issue was solved, is anyone having issues with this ?

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, edwardsean said:

I've been using the network disconnect "Play & Relax" feature. I find that as my system improves and gets more refined, I am noticing a bigger difference when I disconnect from the network. 

The issue is that I'm having trouble "relaxing" when I use this feature. It's always a guessing game of whether it come back online. Sometimes it's a matter of when, sometimes Euphony seems to have forgotten all about me. One time I put it on repeat and it just endlessly played my queue–I recognize that was my fault. Each time, I just have to manually shut down my server and restart it. 

Is anyone else having this issue? Are there any tricks you've found to make sure it comes back when the album/queue is complete? 

Me, yesterday, but the funny thing is that I didn't know about this feature, i was playing music and suddenly a Blue window appeared showing "Play & Relax" and my Rush albums never sounded this good, but then a orange window appears and tells you have no net connection, thing is I never did anything for this to show and I don't have a clue where to find it, the sound was so good that it came to my mind initially that was because of an internet error or disconnection and that my music remained in Ram buffered, so when I disconnected my ER all went down and didn't know what to do except reconnect everything again.

Where do i find this Play & Relax feature?

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

When formatting a USB stick from a MacMini on a different format prior to flash the Euphony V4 image matters ?:

MS-DOS FAT(32)

EX-FAT

extFS-2

extFS-3

extFS-4

1 minute ago, BCRich said:

@mikicasellas I had issues using my Mac Pro with Balena Etcher. My Samsung USB Thumb drive came pre formatted with the EX-FAT File System.

Zeljko suggested I use Rufus; the only thing is Rufus is Windows only. I used my Windows Laptop and all good. Zeljko indicated most of the Image issues were stemming from using Balena Etcher. I don’t think changing the format would matter; maybe do a more thorough initialization of the drive.

Good Luck!

Mike

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I jumped to V.4, the SQ is great, even without made any changes, just as I opened it sounds amazing in my rig, and this is the 603, now my issue when I tried to update is that i needed to make a Complete Installation and after I did it the server won't restart, it show issue , by the way I had to go into a Windows machine in order to flash the image with RUFUS, im guessing i will have to come back with my windows pal

image.thumb.jpeg.9d87ad6246d15e55b3bc6ab87eab4b8b.jpeg

1 hour ago, flkin said:

Installing v4 from a usb drive only affects the attached USB drive and not the installed drive so its safe and you can try again by reflashing the usb. 

I’ve only ever used BalenaEtcher under Mac for flashing and it rechecks the flash after each usb has been made so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. However I’ve found that the condition of the usb drive used matters. My experience is that an old school security format (clear all bits) helps to speed things up and make it more stable during use. Try that perhaps?

Ill give it a try

After trying to "Complete Installation" on the same USB Sandisk stick which blowed in my face in order to update 603 version, i have successfully flashed the SANDISK again with Rufus, now Im thinking on getting a second M.2 so i can leave my Audiolinux/HQPlayer untouched on my existing Optane M.2 64GB and Complete installation on the new one with Euphony V.4:

Thing is, Im not sure what is in par or perhaps better then the Optane M.2 M10 32/64GB that seems to be on its way out of market, I could also use a SanDisk USB 3.0 -  microSD reader which already have and use a industrial microSD wide temperature based on SLC memory type ? A good fellow member of the forum suggested this path a year ago more or less.

BTW, I'm really not able to spend in crazy dollar like the Optane 900P

Any suggestions ?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tatang said:

Same as mine, I opened a ticket already but still no answer from Robert...U have an answer??

My opened ticket has more than a week, it’s worst now