IGNORED

Article: AURALiC VEGA G1 Full Review

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Hi Chris,

I have the Auralic Mini, in fact I have 3 of them, all with 500G SSD drives installed. I get immense pleasure using the lightning DS software (after a shaky start) and would jump at the G1, if I could install an SSD Drive. Reason being you can't always have an internet connection and its good fun to browse your favourites in hi res.

It would be silly to ask your thoughts on the sonic improvement of the G1 over the Mini as the price divergence is about 8 times. I am very happy with the convenience and sound quality of my minis, as I have local files on the SSD, plus Tidal and Spotify Connect, and I enjoy controlling them from my phone and iPad.

I am tempted to upgrade to the G1 for my main system but have two reservations, the lack of SSD and lack of galvanic isolation. In my research CA contributors such as Barrows stress the importance of having the streamer and DAC in separate boxes.

The alternative to me is a separate streamer and a second hand Benchmark DAC 2 or equivalent.

Anyone care to comment - am I on the wrong track?

Hi Ajax - You're in a good situation, even though there are questions and concerns about improving performance. The Mini is a wonderful product. I've even heard that Auralic made a mistake by releasing that product because it was so inexpensive (no money could be made on it) and it performed so well for the money. Anyway, the Mini is wonderful, but not the "height of living" as they say. 

For a main system in your environment I would look at the Vega G1 and Aries G1. It accomplishes everything you need and keeps you in the familiar Lightning DS ecosystem. I know it's substantially more money, but going from a Toyota to a Porsche is also quite a bit more money. Toyotas are wonderful cars by anyone's definition, but they are no Porsche. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, guerph said:

To be clear, the Aries G1 doesn’t not allow for SSD installation, you have to move up to the Aries G2 for that. 

Correct. To use an SSD with Aries G1, just attach an SSD USB drive. 

3 minutes ago, guerph said:

I think the reviewer side skirts the Lightning DS functionality on the Vega G1 which I find a bit convenient if not disingenuous having tried to use it on both the Aries G1 and Vega G2. It only really works on the Aries. No such luck on the Vega G2. This needs to be made clear as it’s what most folks who’ve used Lightning DS in the past are likely interested in knowing they can continue using as a cheaper alternative to Roon. 

Thanks for the feedback. This is the first Auralic product, I've reviewed four or five over the years, where I didn't use Lightning DS. I figured it was time to try it in a different configuration. Lightning DS is excellent as I've said in all my other reviews and in the accompanying video to this review. 

What do you mean Lightning DS only really works on the Aries? I've used it with every Auralic product I've ever had in my system with the exception of the Vega G1.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png