IGNORED

Article: AURALiC VEGA G1 Full Review

Good review. This sounds like a great centerpiece of an audiophile/network system for someone that wants simplicity and very good performance, without getting into the stratosphere price league of diminishing returns on the dollar.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Hi Chris,

I have the Auralic Mini, in fact I have 3 of them, all with 500G SSD drives installed. I get immense pleasure using the lightning DS software (after a shaky start) and would jump at the G1, if I could install an SSD Drive. Reason being you can't always have an internet connection and its good fun to browse your favourites in hi res.

It would be silly to ask your thoughts on the sonic improvement of the G1 over the Mini as the price divergence is about 8 times. I am very happy with the convenience and sound quality of my minis, as I have local files on the SSD, plus Tidal and Spotify Connect, and I enjoy controlling them from my phone and iPad.

I am tempted to upgrade to the G1 for my main system but have two reservations, the lack of SSD and lack of galvanic isolation. In my research CA contributors such as Barrows stress the importance of having the streamer and DAC in separate boxes.

The alternative to me is a separate streamer and a second hand Benchmark DAC 2 or equivalent.

Anyone care to comment - am I on the wrong track?

In your case I'd see if there's a dealer who will loan me one or a seller who will give me a trial period. Then you will know if it is worth the big bucks to you. Maybe even compare with an external streamer. 

And nothing against Barrows, but he doesn't have your system or ears. There are few or no absolute rules about what works best - so what may be 100% true with someone else's system may not be with yours.

Something like the G1 may be a cost effective upgrade. Doesn't mean it is "the best" solution available - but what if it is "the best" combination of DAC/Streamer for the price? And if you like Lightning DS, then that means a lot: staying in a UI that you feel comfortable with can be just as important as getting that last little smidgen of SQ from your system that you might get with a different set of paired streamer/DAC separates. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)