Rate this topic

Are the advantages of fiber over copper not realized unless the entire data path, NAS to DAC are not fiber?  Said another way, are there some advantages of having only part of the data path fiber?

isolation of any point where a current can flow (& transmit 'noise') will be a benefit, tho it may not be a hearable increment in SQ

you are right that near the DAC is likely most important

I have no reason to believe that fiberoptic anywhere except to the DAC or network audio adapter (Ethernet in - USB our), would have any effect in SQ assuming reasonable equipment.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

I have no reason to believe that fiberoptic anywhere except to the DAC or network audio adapter (Ethernet in - USB our), would have any effect in SQ assuming reasonable equipment.

Just so I understand, you are staying that the only real critical section for fiber would be from my fiber optic switch to my ultraRendu?  The path from the music server to the switch should is not critical?

2 hours ago, dminches said:

Just so I understand, you are staying that the only real critical section for fiber would be from my fiber optic switch to my ultraRendu?  The path from the music server to the switch should is not critical?

the idea is that by having the player isolated via the optical cable any noise upstream would be eliminated before it hits the player.

4 hours ago, dminches said:

As I understand the ultraRendu has a copper Ethernet connection so you can’t achieve a pure fiber input, instead you would use the opticalRendu. The critical connection, in this case would be the fiber from the SFP based switch (or FMC) to the opticalRendu.

I have an optical network that runs at 10Gbe throughout the house, alongside a 1Gbe copper network as well as 802.11ax wireless. In my basement I’m installing 100Gbe cards into my server and NAS — which will do 4x10Gbe through a QSFP28->SFP cable, but I have all this for video editing/streaming etc — so I’ve got all sorts of equipment and I’ll stand by my statement that for audio SQ, it’s the final connection from the switch to the network access device (eg opticalRendo) that is the important one. First do that, then perhaps single mode fiber, then use a 10Gbe capable switch, upsample to DSD512 or PCM768 and after all that comes everything else ... distantly

I am still going to say that it is possible to have effects behind the DAC due to the possibility of parasitic leakage thru the transformers.

but yes, not critical

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I am still going to say that it is possible to have effects behind the DAC due to the possibility of parasitic leakage thru the transformers.

but yes, not critical

You can have parasitic leakage from your fridge — that’s why I isolate the power to my audio system behind a heavy transformer. No leakage currents through the optical segment regardless of how messy the rest of the Ethernet system is.

A 10Gbe switch will give you less jitter (it’s required in the 10GBase-X spec) but that’s for copper and fiber. It’s required to hit that data rate reliably.

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

As I understand the ultraRendu has a copper Ethernet connection so you can’t achieve a pure fiber input, instead you would use the opticalRendu. The critical connection, in this case would be the fiber from the SFP based switch (or FMC) to the opticalRendu.

We are developing a fiber media converter or FMC to convert the fiber optic signal to Ethernet for use with a microRendu or ultraRendu. This will not make a microRendu or ultraRendu into an opticalRendu because it's design is quite different, but at least the FMC will be of our own design:)