Sign in to follow this  
MichaelP

Upgrade to basic Allo Katana setup

I'm successfully running the Allo Katana V1.2 Player with "Sound Quality Output Stage" option:

• mounted on RPIB+;
  • a stock 5.1V DC 2.5A USB Micro-B) supply to the RPI;
  • an "audio" 5V 3A USB-C supply to the Katana MC.

Compared to the Allo Boss, which I enjoyed very much, I hear much more detail.

I'd like to make an upgrade to this setup, and it seems I have at least a couple of choices:

1. install Allo's I2S Isolator; or
  2. improve one of the existing power supplies I'm using; or
  3. add a 3rd high-quality audio supply.

Which of these options (or another, if I haven't considered it here), would yield the most benefit? If it's a new power supply, I would be grateful to be provided with links to an existing product.

Thanks!

Michael

I would say if you heard difference between Boss and Katana it might be worth spending some money.

I took my isolator off as I wanted DOP. Once my Katana wears in i will try my isolator again.

I bought an LPS from china, enjoying the sound. Had the iPower before to power MC/ DAC was an improvement.

The LPS sounds way better. 

Thanks, @bokko. Did you use the LPS just to power the MC and continue to use a stock power supply for the RPIB?

I'll be glad for any pointers to a reasonably priced LPS suitable for this purpose.

Search forum for Katana. 

I have posted about it recently.

Name of store is there. To bother to power DAC separately I would say you would want to have a pretty decent system. Otherwise get a single LPS and just power MC.

Sign in to follow this