IGNORED

Looking for USB-B mini and Firewire cables

I'm trying to find a good set of 1M USB and Firewire cables. I need the USB-B mini? cable for my Zodiac+.

I have a Weiss AF1 but a Firwewire card with both 6 & 9-pin.

Looking for suggestions, or hoping to find someone who wants to trade some for vacuum tubes, or other gear I have sitting idle.

thanks!

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

As far as the USB to mini watch the banner ads that run below for Wireworld Starlight USB cables. It is available in a mini version and I think it is an exceptional cable. Nordost has just introduced a line of Blue Heavan USB cables so you might check them out and Kimber also has options for USB to mini.

http://www.wireworldcable.com/categories/usb_cables.html

http://www.kimber.com/products/interconnects/digital/usb/minibus/cu/

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Thanks! I think I'm going to bide my time for Lee at Cryoparts to make me a firewire cable, and I'm looking at a Virtue Audio Usb.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

"Lee at Cryoparts to make me a firewire cable"

Precious few (here at CA) have reported hearing any improvements from Firewire cables above something like the GOld-X ($15).

Even Kent Poon couldn't find differences between Firewire cables (despite an exhaustive survey), and settled on an Oyaide neo+ 1394 cable - becuase it looked the part, if I remember correctly - that cost all of $75.

The Firewire manufacturers also say that (so long as the cable is solidly engineered, i.e. properly shielded) there's no need for 'audiophile' Firewire cables as it will not improve the sound.

One thing to note - the sound does (usually) improve by disabling the power pin/leg.

As far as I know, only one person has posted hearing an improvement from Lee's $999 Firewire cable, and this is a reviewer who basically only compared it to a single generic cable (and perhaps assumed it should sound better based on conventional 'audiophile' cable wisdom). IMO, a shoddy reviewing approach, bordering on irresponsible.

In my opinion, only an [fill-in-the-blank] would recommend/pay $1000 for a Firewire cable, or anything approaching that price . It hasn't been shown to improve sonics.

caveat emptor,

clay

I must have confused Cryoparts with another, I thought that had pricing akin to Virtue Audio.

I was looking at the Oyaide initially. Thanks for the heads up Clay.

Simply make sure your fw cable is short (2M or less), without a power leg (or get a 4 pin on one end, then use a 4 pin to "x" adapter) and get a GoldX if it's available. I found, after several demos, that this 4pin Goldx, with 4-to-6-pin adapter (no power that way), produces glorious music.

http://www.firewiredirect.com/product/86/

Lee at Cryoparts sent me a mini adapter for my USB when I demo'd the Zodiac Plus. I used it on a Wireworld ultraviolet and it was very good. I assume a cable without the adapter would be a more purist approach.

"I must have confused"

thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why you were looking at the Virtue for USB and the $999 Firewire cable.

I use the Wireworld that Gordon included with my Proton, also have a Kimber Silver(?) (not sure if the latter comes in mini USB).

clay

The GoldX looks good to me. I'm still looking for an 4>6or9pin adapter.

thanks guys

I ordered a 1.5M Virtue mini-B cable for 55 shipped.

TED, did you try any of the Audioquest firewire cables?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Stores/Audioquest-IEEE-1394-Firewire-or-i-Link-Cables

GoldX construction diagram:

http://www.computercablestore.com/PDF/gx1394AA.pdf

Tripp-Lite triple shielded 4>9:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_Lite_Gold_FireWire_800_Cable,_6/F019-006/ps/1496275

"I must have confused Cryoparts with another"

Yes, I have two companies, CryoParts and Locus Design. I am only planning on releasing FW cables through Locus.

FWIW--I have sold quite a few FW cables, and the feedback has been universally positive. So, take that for what it's worth, ie., subjective opinions from audio lovers who listen and trust their hearing.

As far as The PFO reviewer under question, he merely reported what HE heard, in HIS system, at the time of the review. His conclusion was/is his opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I find him to be a skilled listener, with a very good system, and reports what he hears in an honest fashion. No review is gospel, folks, and please don't take them as such.

I have no time, inclination, or emotional energy to get into a pissing match here about the cable making a difference. Buy one, don't buy one, whatever works for you and your budget.

Also, I have heard good results about the Lacie FW cable--if you are looking to do FW on the cheap, this may be a good option to look into as an alternative to the Belden. Plus, the Lacie comes in a bright orange color, bonus, ha!

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

Also, I have found that this FW800 to FW400 adapter to be well built, and work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-FireWire-400-Adapter-FAD-824/dp/B0000CDJPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290027873&sr=8-1

"I'm still looking for an 4>6or9pin adapter."

Hifitubes (nice classified site btw), here is a 4 to 6 pin:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Firewire-Female-Adapter/dp/B000234498/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290028195&sr=8-3

Hope that helps someone.

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

I just got a good deal and free ship on an Audioquest base-model 4>6 and will order an adapter. I guess I cold have got 6>6 and taped it too.