IGNORED

DeltaWave null-testing audio comparator (beta)

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Naughty Paul ... not keeping us up to date on latest offerings ... 😈

Has got himself a fan base on that forum that shall not be named - what's the world coming to !? 🤪

But seriously, lots of good input from members there - and DW keeps getting better, 😉.

Sorry, Frank, just updated to 1.0.58 earlier today, and didn't yet get a chance to post here :)

DeltaWave version 1.0.59 is now available.

Changes primarily related to using simple/periodic waveforms for loopback analysis:

• Fixed: corrected sub-sample matching behavior of simple/periodic waveforms (regression from .58)
  • Added: Automatic trim of silence at both ends of a file when using Auto-Trim option
  • Added: Automatic detection of simple/periodic waveforms. If simple waveforms option is not on, user will be asked to turn it on
  • Changed: Improved THD+N measurements for simple (single frequency) waveforms
  • Fixed: dB display in THD frequency plot for simple waveforms – used to display in scientific notation the first time it’s used

Here's an example of a simple waveform measurement (1kHz sine-wave) showing harmonics and their amplitude recorded with RME ADI-2 Pro:

image.thumb.png.efa252105cf748d524d4334f01dcdf2e.png

On 2/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, TomCapraro said:

Here is Paul, I also posted the files. With the same settings in previous versions I get a spectrum delta of -140dB on average

11.jpg

22.jpg

White_PN_64k_20_20000_96.0k_Float_LR.wav 15 MB · 2 downloads rec 1.wav 7.78 MB · 2 downloads

Hi Tom,

Looking at the changes, it appears the difference is caused by the updated trimming function. I'm not sure why it's causing such a large difference, but when I remove the automatic trim, the spectrum of delta goes to below -140dB, so it is related to what's removed. I may have to rework the trimming function (again!) to make it more intelligent. For now it simply removes anything close to silence from both waveforms before processing, and that seems to cause this problem.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:54 PM, TomCapraro said:

Version 1.0.50b, this is the correct delta.

22.jpg.37adcf4d05fe6149307b60e7722f3dbe.jpg

Hi Tom,

Can you please try version 1.0.61? I've made some changes to how the trimming of silence data is done, and I believe it's working better, but I'm not sure the result matches 1.0.50 exactly. Probably because the number of samples that it trims is slightly different.

The temporary link to download the new version:  https://deltaw.org/DeltaWaveSetup61.zip

Here's the delta I get with this version and your test files:

image.thumb.png.e682bf0a7a3acd1d982eaf4d3727be6e.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DeltaWave v1.0.62 is now available. I'll document the changes in more detail later, but most should be obvious:

Changes in 1.0.62b

• Added: Configuration selection in Setup window, along with reset and save options
  • Added: Command-line arguments to automatically process files and write out the result
  • Added: Set Trim levels to current Zoom level menu under Edit menu 
  • Added: Play zoomed-in portion of wave file menu under Play menu 
  • Added: PK Metric column and optimization option to Manual Adjustments window 
  • Added: Option to display and enter gain settings in DB in Manual Adjustments window 
  • Added: Right click pop-up menu for showing/hiding tabs (right-click on any visible tab)
  • Added: Linearity measurement at 0.5dB error (in bits)
  • Added: Check/uncheck button to select or unselect all tabs in the Setup window
  • Changed: Manual Adjustments window will now apply new file trim settings, if changed 
  • Changed: Frequency axis log scale labels should work better with high-resolution displays, previously could cause overlaps
  • Changed: sub-sample offset calculation to work better with noise signals 
  • Changed: zero value in “Take” trim level will now result in taking samples to the end of the file, just like it does with “End” setting. Previously resulted in error message

Updated version 1.0.63 addresses a few issues reported in .62:

• Fix: Settings window toolbar can overlap text below under certain DPI settings
  • Fix: Exception and stop processing when linearity plot contains too few samples in the lower few bits
  • Fix: When subsample correction is enabled but drift correction is turned off, small delays below 1/1000000 of a sample might still be processed and applied, unnecessarily. These were properly ignored when drift correction was enabled
  • 1 month later...

Hello, Paul ...

Haven't touched DW in a while - updated to this; and next step tried Load Only of last files that were compared ... trouble was, it went into a Compare. Stopped it, tried again - and still insisted on doing a Compare - this ended up bogging down the laptop in the Updating Charts step ... took ages to break the m/c out of the deadly, braindead Windows death spiral; where nothing you do gets you out of the quicksand ...

• 1 month later...
Version 1.0.69b of DeltaWave is now available:

Changes in 1.0.69b
  • Added: minimum phase filters can now be used in addition to linear phase ones
  • Changed: Improved group delay plot to more closely match phase variations
  • Changed: Cepstrum plot to use time (quefrency) scale on the X-axis, changed annotations to show frequency and period

Minimum phase filters can be selected in settings:
image.png.d5f09a9807c6543e3b4115c382f9702b.png

Cepstrum plot can be used to find echos, as well as reflections/reverb in a recording. For example, an echo at 0.5sec added using Audacity to a music file is easy to spot:

image.thumb.png.bf53aab5ff1c8ae42d10769adeb5f17e.png

And here are the reverb/reflections in an un-manipulated music recording:
image.thumb.png.a8d982011ca60bec751ca2762a66374c.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Paul, has been awhile since I've used DW in anger - and a minor thing with 2.0 is that the vertical axis in Aligned ( or Original??) Waveforms didn't respect the dB toggle when first run - had to switch it off, and then on, to get it to sync to the setting.

But the biggy is that the Delta Spectrogram is completely out of sorts - not showing any detail. To confirm that something was very askew, I went back to 63b - and the display for the same audio files being compared was fine ...

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Paul, has been awhile since I've used DW in anger - and a minor thing with 2.0 is that the vertical axis in Aligned ( or Original??) Waveforms didn't respect the dB toggle when first run - had to switch it off, and then on, to get it to sync to the setting.

But the biggy is that the Delta Spectrogram is completely out of sorts - not showing any detail. To confirm that something was very askew, I went back to 63b - and the display for the same audio files being compared was fine ...

Hi Frank,

Yes, the delta spectrogram was scaled incorrectly in that version. I found the issue and fixed it, but have other things I was waiting to finish before publishing an update. I'll try to get this out ASAP.