pkane2001

DeltaWave null-testing audio comparator (beta)

Rate this topic

23 minutes ago, modmix said:

Comparing the same file gives "NOT Bit Perfect" with Non-Linear Calibration either EQ selected (see attached image).

No Non-Linear Calibration or Non-linear Drift Correction results in "BIT PERFECT!"

Any explanation?
TIA
Ulli

DeltaWave_Original2_Level EQ.jpg

DeltaWave_Original2_no Non-linear Calibration.jpg

Non-linear matching performs multiple FFTs, averages the results, and then applies the difference to the comparison waveform through another FFT. In the process, a little precision is lost resulting in a small mismatch between the reference and comparison (no processing is done on the reference file). But, the difference you reported seems way too large for a tiny loss of precision... :) 

I'm about to post a new version that might help with this. Please check it and let me know what you find.

Paul, I'm getting some gobbledygook results with 1.0.37 - with the same set of files, and settings as in the post above, I still didn't see what I was hoping to see. Then I noted in the Aligned Spectrum tab that there was a huge displacement between the Reference and Comparison slopes, that prior to what I was after, the beyond 15k signal. Ok, what happens if I reverse the Ref and Comp waves in the processing - which I did by copying and pasting the file paths in the input boxes, swapping them as far as the interface was concerned. But what I got from then matching were quite bizarre graphs, which didn't seem to relate to anything sensible!

Can you do this at your end, with everything behaving itself?

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Level EQ now gives:

• Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=100%) at 16 bits
    Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=100%) at 24 bits
    Files match @ 100% when reduced to 12,5 bits
    ---- Phase difference (full bandwidth): 2,52173587518713E-11°
        0-10kHz: 0,00°
        0-20kHz: 0,00°
        0-24kHz: 0,00°
    Timing error (rms jitter): 0sec
    RMS of the difference of spectra: -353,388476384148dB
    gn=1, dc=0, dr=0, of=0

Quite small difference, now.
But: 12,5 bits ?...

PS:
I really like your program 🙂
Looking forward to see further improvements.

2 minutes ago, modmix said:

Level EQ now gives:

• Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=100%) at 16 bits
    Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=100%) at 24 bits
    Files match @ 100% when reduced to 12,5 bits
    ---- Phase difference (full bandwidth): 2,52173587518713E-11°
        0-10kHz: 0,00°
        0-20kHz: 0,00°
        0-24kHz: 0,00°
    Timing error (rms jitter): 0sec
    RMS of the difference of spectra: -353,388476384148dB
    gn=1, dc=0, dr=0, of=0

Quite small difference, now.
But: 12,5 bits ?...

PS:
I really like your program 🙂
Looking forward to see further improvements.

Yes, the 50% bit match computation is confused by the fact that it needs to increase bit size instead of decreasing it! I thought I had fixed this a long time ago, but looks like the issue is back.

PS: glad you like it!

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Paul, I'm getting some gobbledygook results with 1.0.37 - with the same set of files, and settings as in the post above, I still didn't see what I was hoping to see. Then I noted in the Aligned Spectrum tab that there was a huge displacement between the Reference and Comparison slopes, that prior to what I was after, the beyond 15k signal. Ok, what happens if I reverse the Ref and Comp waves in the processing - which I did by copying and pasting the file paths in the input boxes, swapping them as far as the interface was concerned. But what I got from then matching were quite bizarre graphs, which didn't seem to relate to anything sensible!

Strange, let me check. It seemed to produce reasonable results when I tested it.

By the way there is a swap ref/compare files menu under the file menu that you can use :)

22 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Looks ok to me. Here's what I get (and this is using the 32-bit version):

image.thumb.png.00b9bf3a38129205c8daee512c6c20bb.png

And now, swapped:

image.thumb.png.48fbe40b6468db5b21cb172bdcf723ef.png

42 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Looks ok to me. Here's what I get (and this is using the 32-bit version):

Hmmm ... I'm getting erratic behaviour - changing the length of the matched waveform gives me results which correspond to yours, and if I go back to the length where I was seeing filtering as if the 500Hz Filter 1 was not actioning, now it is working!

Also, swapping the Ref and Comp does behave itself now, whether I use the menu function, or manually move them.

Is DW getting into a status where it misbehaves, depending upon precisely what has occurred beforehand? I'll try to get a handle on this, restarting DW when something is abnormal, to see if I can pick a pattern ...again, ^_^.

Frank

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Hmmm ... I'm getting erratic behaviour - changing the length of the matched waveform gives me results which correspond to yours, and if I go back to the length where I was seeing filtering as if the 500Hz Filter 1 was not actioning, now it is working!

Also, swapping the Ref and Comp does behave itself now, whether I use the menu function, or manually move them.

Is DW getting into a status where it misbehaves, depending upon precisely what has occurred beforehand? I'll try to get a handle on this, restarting DW when something is abnormal, to see if I can pick a pattern ...again, ^_^.

I assume you're still running the 32-bit version. There's a good chance of out of memory conditions that could happen randomly, even depending on what else is executing at the time, or possibly due to the prior comparisons before running the test that chewed up some of the available memory.

You can enable full logging in DW under Help->Logging->Debug. Once you do, try to reproduce the error. When you succeed,  open the log file by invoking Help->Logging->View Log... menu. Save it as a text file, or just post it as an attachment here, and I can take a look.

You will be pleased to hear, Paul, that I'm back to 64 bit running :) - the HP laptop is back in operation, after cooking the graphics chip with a hair dryer, and am now giving the restored beast a processing thrashing by using DW64.

And noting a couple of things: the group delay curve has a discontinuity, jump in it when processing the Bob Marley samples - altering the FFT, say, adjusts this behaviour, but doesn't make it go away ... and could the locking and unlocking of  plot axes be tweaked, perhaps - sometimes it does exactly what you want; and at other times it stubbornly refuses to behave. An example of the positive behaviour is that if one zooms in on the Delta Waveform, and then locks an unlocked Matched, and unlocks it again, that the latter has also zoomed into precisely where you want it. The irksome behaviour is when locking and then unlocking causes the display to jump between 2 zoom settings, neither of which is right, and which then requires major fiddling to get to what one is actually after.

Frank