IGNORED

Shootout at the Linux Corral: AudioLinux vs Euphony

4 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Thanks Bob. Yes that's what I have tried - Euphony with Stylus, but not getting any of the magic reported recently. I know there is more to it, with different hardware recommended etc. but thought I'd give it a try and mention this for anyone else wondering about using on their low powered NUC7s.

In many ways your system is a like mine. I have not tried Euphony yet due to lack of time.

It seems as if at a certain level of system refinement and investment one arrives at the flattening section of the curve. The recording quality starts to be the limiting factor. One now moves into the territory of personal preference rather than obvious improvement. Increasingly I find that system changes simply sound "different", not necessarily better or worse.

I have a Roon server/endpoint setup with AL/ramroot on the endpoint. In some ways this is better than my previous Dante/AOIP/Win2016 system ...but not in all ways. I often find AL to be a little dry or even bright. Perhaps this Fall when I get a bit more time I will try Euphony. I would really love to make a one-box solution work.

I look forward to hearing any detailed and blatantly subjective impressions of the SQ differences that others have found between AL and Euphony...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Make sure the the volume control setting in stylus is set to hardware.  

And if it does not sound like you want then we have another data point.  

I’ll check that and hopefully get time to set it up optimally tonight and post my thoughts. I’m ‘hoping’ I won’t be tempted down another path of spending/upgrading 😬

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

Make sure the the volume control setting in stylus is set to hardware.  

In my case the VC is set to "none". The h/w or s/w VC cuts the volume quiet dramatically (maybe more that half). If the DAC doesn't have any VC, I would assume that it should be set to none in Euphony.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

In my case the VC is set to "none". The h/w or s/w VC cuts the volume quiet dramatically (maybe more that half). If the DAC doesn't have any VC, I would assume that it should be set to none in Euphony.

I went back and tested.  My headphone system has a physical volume so no effect on hardware or none.  I had that system set on hardware.  ON my Kii Threes I did have it set to none.  

Maybe your DAC takes commands over the USB?  

My bad I should have looked further.

7 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

The real issue for me is that there is a slight harshness to the upper registers of voices which, unfortunately I cannot abide. My Omega super alnico's are beautiful at rendering voices, and I have worked hard to reduce any distractions as much a possible especially in sibilance. 

I agree on that and I also have the Omega Alnico drivers. Try to use Roon Server on Euphony to reduce the harshness but you would loose the benefits of Stylus. To get back to the fuller SQ while  keeping the harshness down I suggest the dual box Euphony/Roon server setup I described earlier.

One thing I'm going to try is to install Jplay femto (on Windows) on the Endpoint while keeping Euphony with Roon Server on the Core. Might be a "best of both worlds" situation.

10 minutes ago, Balázs said:

I agree on that and I also have the Omega Alnico drivers. Try to use Roon Server on Euphony to reduce the harshness but you would loose the benefits of Stylus. To get back to the fuller SQ while  keeping the harshness down I suggest the dual box Euphony/Roon server setup I described earlier.

One thing I'm going to try is to install Jplay femto (on Windows) on the Endpoint while keeping Euphony with Roon Server on the Core. Might be a "best of both worlds" situation.

Cool thanks @Balázs.  and round we go.. :)

Interesting but not planning to spend more right now...

."6. Both(!) the Core and the Endpoint have to be Euphony Roon servers. Yes, even on a bridge the Roon server software sounds better. Therefore  two full Euphony licences are needed, unfortunately."

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Interesting but not planning to spend more right now...

Come on, that's the name of game 😉 

But I see your point and getting the Stylus SQ while keeping Roon is currently expensive. I hope that someone will figure out a more cost effective way. Roon is still a must have to manage music collections imho. 

54 minutes ago, Balázs said:

Come on, that's the name of game 😉 

.... The collaboration is what I like... :)

56 minutes ago, Balázs said:

But I see your point and getting the Stylus SQ while keeping Roon is currently expensive. I hope that someone will figure out a more cost effective way. Roon is still a must have to manage music collections imho. 

very interesting place we have come to...

5 hours ago, bobfa said:

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Stylus has 2 buffering settings:

• "Buffer before play = 100%" (this is on the Settings > Music Service tab)
    • This reads the entire track into memory before playback
    • Note - this is only for local files, NOT streaming files, which are only partially buffered
  • "Use Cache" (this is on the Settings > Library tab)
    • This transfers tracks that have been added to the queue to the "Euphony drive." The location is /data/music/E_CACHE
    • If your boot drive is an Optane SSD, then this causes the player to first move the files from the music storage location to the E-CACHE directory on the Optane SSD. On playback, it load the files from the Optane SSD
    • Again, this is only for local files, not streaming services

Thanks Rajiv.

Is the "Buffer before play" equal to "Use Cache" if one doesn't have an Optane SSD boot drive?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

17 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I found time to set up my NUC7PJYH properly, running euphony/stylus with hardware volume setting (thanks Bob). So these are my first impressions. Everything else is the same except for removing the NUC AL/ramboot endpoint (isolated from network with Aqvox switch and USB out via iso regen and sonore ultra digital). Now I hear what all the excitement is about. The sound is fuller as if all the musicians are closer and the sound has a richer quality, less thin. To put this in perspective, this is a pleasant and noticeable difference but not huge by any means.

The real issue for me is that there is a slight harshness to the upper registers of voices which, unfortunately I cannot abide. My Omega super alnico's are beautiful at rendering voices, and I have worked hard to reduce any distractions as much a possible especially in sibilance. My first impressions of Euphony/Stylus, apart from the above fuller SQ,  is that this area of voice is not satisfying and I can't ignore it. I only stream from Tidal (I gave up on Qobuz due to too many glitches in playback) and don't have any hard drives for music so I definitely find with AL/Rambooting and removing the USB sticks this exact issue seems to be alleviated enough to satisfy my tastes. More listening is needed before any decisions can be made....

Hi tapatrick,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just to clarify; are you using the NUC7PJYH as a single machine with Euphony Stylus?

Secondly, may I ask how your NUC7PJYH powered?

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

54 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi tapatrick,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just to clarify; are you using the NUC7PJYH as a single machine with Euphony Stylus?

Secondly, may I ask how your NUC7PJYH powered?

Geoff

Hi @HeeBroG I'm powering my NUC(s) with Paul Hynes SR4. As there is no doubt about the importance of PSU quality, I'd love to get my hands on an SR7, but it's not going to happen. Down the road I'm going to try out a Ciunas Audio Supercap PSU - but that's a whole different topic.

Yes I'm trialling my NUC7PJYH as single box with Euphony Stylus.

Thanks to all for the great input on the causes and solutions for harshness problems. Interesting times and much appreciated!

4 hours ago, romaz said:

If you know of a good full ATX fanless chassis that can accommodate at least 2 PCIe cards without having to use riser cables, I would like to know.

What's your view on Thunderbolt 3 dock with single / multiple PCIe slots?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/565/?tab=comments#comment-961130

PCH should be not THAT busy given what we're doing and maybe Thunderbolt 3 port with 4 PCH-connected PCIe lanes might not be too bad? Despite passive Thunderbolt 3 cables have to be really short while no "audiophile" ones are available (only decent USB Type-C ones were made but they're no good for Thunderbolt 3) so far, in theory it might be a slight advantage to distance our PCIe card(s) from other components if proximity were actually playing a role. Finally some of them would come with a cooling fan and therefore we might simply disconnect that, though built-in SMPS should require a mod for obvious reasons.

It's somewhat tricky to power Adnaco stuff properly while optical would sound flat according to your and Lee's experiences

http://www.adnaco.com/products/s1b/

But then again we might get the "Holy Grail" from SOtM soon, let's wait and see what their own motherboard is all about.

5 hours ago, romaz said:

The problem with riser cables is they are generally of poor quality as they use cheap, thin gauge conductors and so I would prefer to be able to plug cards directly into the PCIe slot but perhaps my paranoia here is unjustified.  If you know of a good full ATX fanless chassis that can accommodate at least 2 PCIe cards without having to use riser cables, I would like to know.

I'm not aware of such a chassis (I wish I were). I use Thermaltake's TT Premium PCI-E 3.0 Extender. I tried with and without it (direct in PCI slot) and didn't hear a difference.

5 hours ago, romaz said:

...As I already stated, in my signal path between server and endpoint, I was using dual sNH-10G switches that were being clocked by a REF10 and cabling throughout consisted of either SOtM's dCBL-CAT7 or Ghent's double-shielded CAT6A along with with a SOtM iSO-CAT6 LAN isolator (essentially, an isolation transformer) and so I feel my signal path was pretty well taken care of.  I even introduced optical cabling between the 2 switches but ultimately preferred the SQ of copper cabling better.  What is surprising is that all of this stuff is just as important with a single-box setup even though Stylus buffers files fully into RAM before playback. 

I assume your music is on a NAS or you listen to streamed music like Tidal. If the music files are on an internal  SDD/Optane/USB drive I'm not sure how the network could have any influence (only control information flows to the Euphony server)

8 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Thanks Rajiv.

Is the "Buffer before play" equal to "Use Cache" if one doesn't have an Optane SSD boot drive?

No, Geoff.

"Buffer before play" has to do with preloading a song into memory before initiating playback.

"Use cache" has to do with transferring a music file from its original storage location to a new storage location (/data/music/E_CACHE) on the "Euphony Drive," or boot disk. This applies to whatever you chose your boot disk to be - whether Optane SSD, regular SSD, HDD, etc.

8 hours ago, romaz said:

The motherboard I have decided to focus on for now is the Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac which is a mini-ITX board and because of its smaller size, it incorporates only a 5+2 design but this is where things get deceiving because this board utilizes higher quality power phases comprised of the Intersil Smart Power ISL99227 which many consider to be among the best and are rated at 60A each, more than 2X the current capacity of those used in your board.  Regardless, each of these boards should be able to easily handle something like an i9-9900K that isn't being overclocked.

I have mostly played with low powered CPUs / motherboard, but following the latest trends, I am curious to try a combination like that with the i9-9900K CPU. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that the EPS connector is where the most power is consumed on those motherboards. Two questions about that:

1. How many amps do we need to sufficiently power up a CPU with TDP of 95 Watts for Euphony? Romaz - are you using a 10A SR7 rail? Have you tried a 6A rail? 

2. Can we power up the EPS connectors with multiple independent DC rails on this motherboard? The keyword is "independent", because if each +12V on the connector is in parallel with the others, we are essentially paralleling multiple power supplies, and we know by experiments with paralleling multiple LPS2.1's that unless they are closely matched, this is far than ideal (if it even works). 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

No, Geoff.

"Buffer before play" has to do with preloading a song into memory before initiating playback.

"Use cache" has to do with transferring a music file from its original storage location to a new storage location (/data/music/E_CACHE) on the "Euphony Drive," or boot disk. This applies to whatever you chose your boot disk to be - whether Optane SSD, regular SSD, HDD, etc.

Thanks Rajiv.

What if one boots from a Euphony from a USB stick and there is no internal SSD/HDD. Music files are stored on an attached USB HDD.

G

2 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

Thanks Rajiv.

What if one boots from a Euphony from a USB stick and there is no internal SSD/HDD. Music files are stored on an attached USB HDD.

G

Good question. According to the popup help:

image.png

I think the assumption is that the Euphony drive is "fast." My guess is if you're booting off a USB, you should probably turn "Use Cache" off.