IGNORED

Shootout at the Linux Corral: AudioLinux vs Euphony

Roon UI is what is preventing me from using Stylus as well, though Stylus sounds better than Roon.

So far I have ditched the 2-pc setup and settled on a single NUC running AL and Roon + Squeezelite + Wifi combo. I am experimenting with the latest Euphony update but unable to get Roon + StylusEP working. Oddly, Roon + Squeezelite works flawlessly and Wifi as well.

Roon is designed as an end-to-end solution, isn't it ...  with the RAAT protocol and Roon Ready endpoints?  Yet many people are reporting that Squeezelite or EuphonyEP sounds better on the endpoint.  Too bad you can't buy just the UI.  But that would mess up the whole partner ecosystem.  Reminds me of MQA.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

11 minutes ago, bobfa said:

It does not work.  My USB Device  is disabled.  Took logs and screenshots and sent them off for review. 

1543711923_ScreenShot2019-05-21at3_49_57PM.thumb.png.74e502f42122b0f555422bbb810cba41.png

If you are using StylusEP (which was my original question), then the USB device will be disabled in Roon since only one application will need exclusive access to it. In this case, you need to enable Squeezebox support and then select StylusEP from audio device.

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

If you are using StylusEP (which was my original question), then the USB device will be disabled in Roon since only one application will need exclusive access to it. In this case, you need to enable Squeezebox support and then select StylusEP from audio device.

I am trying right now with Roon Core running on the single box.  The only output device I can run is roon.  I cannot run squeezlite or stylusEP.  Yes i have the squeezelite "switch" turned on.

@bobfa Can you post Roon settings screen dump ? I am not able to understand where you are stuck.

This is what I did:

1. Select Roon + StylusEP in Euphony

2. Enable Squeezebox Roon -> Settings -> Enable Squeezebox support

3. Select StylusEP as Roon's audio device Roon -> Settings -> Audio (StylusEP is listed in the end) and make sure Flac compression is checked.

I'm running the latest Euphony in Roon/StylusEP mode from a USB stick on a single NUCi3 and with all music files on a networked MacMIni. It sounds great and is it is a clear improvement over my previous single-NUC Roon/Stylus (standard) configuration. I'm so happy with Euphony! I looked at my "Use Flac Compression Flag" and it was set to On (in my case by default).

5 hours ago, Dev said:

@bobfa Can you post Roon settings screen dump ? I am not able to understand where you are stuck.

This is what I did:

1. Select Roon + StylusEP in Euphony

2. Enable Squeezebox Roon -> Settings -> Enable Squeezebox support

3. Select StylusEP as Roon's audio device Roon -> Settings -> Audio (StylusEP is listed in the end) and make sure Flac compression is checked.

I was trying to connect direct I did not scroll down to find stylus EP!   My bad.

10 hours ago, Dev said:

I tried Euphony earlier a month back or so but moved to AL setup primarily due to lack of Wifi. Ever since then and after lot of experimentation I have moved to single i7 NUC setup running AL in ramroot with Roon + Squeezelite combo on Wifi. This setup has sounded very good in my system and exceeds that of 2 NUC solution with server and streamer combo. Upon request to Željko, he promised to have it supported in his next release and he kept it. My trial has also expired in between but Željko was graciously kind enough to extend it some more just this time. Moreover the StylusEP which replaces Squeezelite has been enthralling and I had to try the new release.

Well, the latest Euphony update has been fantastic in my system. From limited listening that I had done so far, the SQ of Roon + StylusEP is a big step forward - a bit more holographic sound, more air around vocals and instruments, slightly more depth. I had to redo my speaker positioning a bit to take more advantage of it. I am also on Wifi which is not in the critical audio signal path. As a single box solution, it's simplicity is what makes it more interesting and appealing to me.

Still more comparisons to do - Wired vs wifi, Stylus vs StylusEP, etc but so far I am very impressed.

Will report back as I do more listening.

Where do you store the music library? Is it external usb hdd connected to the i7 NUC? What type of hdd and is it powered from external PS and not from usb bus?

12 hours ago, lateboomer said:

Where do you store the music library? Is it external usb hdd connected to the i7 NUC? What type of hdd and is it powered from external PS and not from usb bus?

yes, I am using external USB 3.0 w/ 4Tb WD Red 3.5" drive powered by lps connected to the NUC i7.

2 hours ago, lateboomer said:

Is 3.5" drive a desktop hdd and also spinning type? Is it not more noisy than a ssd drive?

Not sure I understand. To my knowledge, all 3.5" drives are desktop and spinning type. I need something close to 4tb to hold my music library and SSD's that large are still quiet expensive. I have a 2tb one which I will compare at some point to see if they make difference.

However, if I connect one output of Uptone JS-2 to the external USB drive and another output to the NUC i7, I can clearly hear the spinning noise when I put my ear close to the speaker. To get past it, I use a separate lps just for the external drive. I am wondering if the hdplex 200w with isolated rails will solve this or not - if it does, I can replace two lps with one.    

31 minutes ago, sergiocurvelo said:

I already have an UltraRendu. And I use another computer as a server. Which version of Euphony should I buy? I also use Roon Server and HQ Player emb.

When you buy Euphony, it only has one license. That's the license you need to get.

There are different ways how you can configure Euphony after you get a license. You would have to try for yourself what works best, but so far Roon + StylusEP seems to be the winner for Roon users.

But you can get a 30 day trial on a USB stick before you buy it.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Hi Bob,

I take it the best sound so far requires 2 Euphony licences; one for server and the other for endpoint running Stylus EP?

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

38 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Bob,

I take it the best sound so far requires 2 Euphony licences; one for server and the other for endpoint running Stylus EP?

Geoff

In my systems design with a NUC endpoint and a custom built Xeon server I have found that Euphony sounds best to me.  

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

In my systems design with a NUC endpoint and a custom built Xeon server I have found that Euphony sounds best to me.  

Thanks for all your great work on this @bobfa  are you running 

Server: Euphony/Roon/

Endpoint: Euphony/StylusEp

Means we would need 2 licences to get your best SQ?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

Thanks for all your great work on this @bobfa  are you running 

Server: Euphony/Roon/

Endpoint: Euphony/StylusEp

Means we would need 2 licences to get your best SQ?

I think it is also possible to run AL roon/ LMS on the server. Wouldn't make much difference I think. That what I planned to do.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2