IGNORED

Shootout at the Linux Corral: AudioLinux vs Euphony

It would be great if they could put together a special purchase discount for Audiophile Style members!

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

5 hours ago, jkelly said:

It would be great if they could put together a special purchase discount for Audiophile Style members!

Or that you need only one copy if you have a server + NAA setup.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

hi bob

how's the shootout so far?

for Euphony, I'm wondering whether it can run on M2 SSD on the NUC as endpoint? (coz right now my NUC is disc-less, only with 8G ram running AL)

does having SATA on NUC as compare with AL on ram, is the prior more noisy? notably?

Many thanks

OK so @ArthurPower can you explain some key differences between AudioLinux and Euphony that might account for Euphony's reported superior sound quality?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

58 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK so@ArthurPower can you explain some key differences between AudioLinux and Euphony that might account for Euphony's reported superior sound quality?

Rick,

I would think that it would be valuable  if YOU could test this on YOUR systems and validate or invalidate what I am hearing.  That would "add to the shared knowledge" in a positive way.  

In addition, there are many OS variants that are used in audio systems that could be compared.  I think that while it might be interesting to develop that list and learn from it, we might not have time to sit down and listen for fun! 

I started this thread to encourage others to try what I am finding.  I really want others to just boot-up Euphony and see if it works for them.  

19 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I really want others to just boot-up Euphony and see if it works for them.  

I get it, but I still think it's perfectly legit to ask the developer for some technical insight.  If you want me to start a different thread to solicit this input, let me know.  I didn't mean to mess up your topic.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 hours ago, bobfa said:

Rick,

I would think that it would be valuable  if YOU could test this on YOUR systems and validate or invalidate what I am hearing.  That would "add to the shared knowledge" in a positive way.  

In addition, there are many OS variants that are used in audio systems that could be compared.  I think that while it might be interesting to develop that list and learn from it, we might not have time to sit down and listen for fun! 

I started this thread to encourage others to try what I am finding.  I really want others to just boot-up Euphony and see if it works for them.  

Hi ,

Does the Euphony OS allow dual pc set up ?

If yes can you run both server and player pc from just USB key ?

What is the minimum ram requirement for server and player side ?

Can you run roocore and roonbridge config ?

Many questions , thank for your help. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

8 hours ago, bobfa said:

I really want others to just boot-up Euphony and see if it works for them.

Is it possible to simply download the trial, boot off a USB stick and then run roon bridge? Or is roon bridge the part that I need the patch for?

I am keen to do this and compare directly with Audiolinux on my NUC7CJYH running roon bridge

6 hours ago, Bricki said:

Is it possible to simply download the trial, boot off a USB stick and then run roon bridge? Or is roon bridge the part that I need the patch for?

I am keen to do this and compare directly with Audiolinux on my NUC7CJYH running roon bridge

The current bug is that it does not run roon bridge properly.  You can run Squeezelite and that will work.  

The problem you have is that the unlicensed version will not boot on that NUC

8 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi ,

Does the Euphony OS allow dual pc set up ?

If yes can you run both server and player pc from just USB key ?

What is the minimum ram requirement for server and player side ?

Can you run roocore and roonbridge config ?

Many questions , thank for your help. 

Jean Michel

I have a whole thread dedicated to setup.  Short answer is you can boot from USB but I would not do that with sever..  There is a problem with Roon Bridge setup.  I do not know the minimum ram.

@bobfa, if I understand correctly, one cannot boot from a USB thumb drive and try/install Euphony on a USB thumb drive. Is that correct?

I want to try Euphony on a mac mini with Squeezelite (currently running Daphile on the mac mini from a thumb drive in squeezelite mode with LMS running on a Synology NAS). 

I want to avoid reformatting/ erasing the mac mini hard disk. Is this possible?

Apologies for this basic query.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

I'd like to see them construct a Roon distributed bundle (without Stylus) that is priced more attractively.

And on the same lines......... I think it comes bundled with HQPlayer embedded, which is about $247 ; I already have that, so I should be able to get one without it for less.

Well done! You guys have really captured my interest in Euphony! Right now, I'm just using a Raspberry Pi with an Allo Digi-One into a Chord Hugo 2. A couple quick questions for your collective minds here...

Is bobfa testing/experiments going back and forth between AL and Euphony on his Roon endpoint or on his Roon core server?

What would be the best NUC to use for creating a Roon Endpoint, that will NOT be doing any oversampling? In this use scenario, is there a SQ difference between an i3 or an i5 or an i7 based NUC?  Is there a SQ difference between NUC6, NUC7 or NUC8s?  Is there a SQ difference between M.2 versus SSD based NUCs? Thanks very much for any thoughts and guidance you might have.  

Right now, my Roon Core is running on a Mac Mini.  The suggested idea of special version of Euphony for Roon users only (without Stylus), but with an adjusted price would be fantastic.

I can't wait to give all of this a try.  Keep up the great conversation! I'm hanging on every word!