bobfa

Shootout at the Linux Corral: AudioLinux vs Euphony

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

I'm now a few weeks into listening to both AudioLinux and Euphony on my dnhe NUC, 16GB RAM and Optane H10 drive - All music streamed from Tidal HiFi quality.  I have compared exactly the same tracks as yourself and I can completely concur with your findings.  Partiqularly "Fanfare for the Common Man" - Audiolinux (set up Extreme, Ramboot) sounds comparitively flat and muted, as you say the decay and representation of the instruments is better on Euphony - it is an easily dicernable difference.  

Rodrigo y Gabriela... everything just has more drama, energy and sounds more tangible.  I have found that this finding can be applied for all of the tracks you used for testing.

I also find that all of the functionality 'just works' with Euphony - it's a cracking piece of software.  I had quite some difficulty with AudioLinux, although it now works perfectly.

Playback using Euphony Stylus (controlled via iPhone or Laptop) sounds ever so marginally better to my ears as the default Euphony Playback engine does some upscaling which I personally think sounds better than the built in HQPlayer.  Airplay even sounds good, but Stylus is better.

I am really glad that you have been able to reproduce my findings.  And I am even happier that you have a better sounding system for yourself!  Thanks for the report.

I have personally tried both Euphony and AudioLinux and found without doubt that Euphony is better sounding.  No matter how I tweak Audiolinux it has a somewhat brighter and more forward sound.  Has anyone tweak AL to be very close or even better than Euphony?  I would greatly appreciate if he or she can share the settings here.

Sometime back I compared my install of AL with the demo version of Euphony on a USB drive. At that time I found that AL was quite a bit better than Euphony and stopped further experiments.

Looks like I might have to revisit Euphony or pick up a full version to experiment again since there are so many good reports here. But it's not a high priority for me as my current system sounds so very good already.

Anyone interested in Lpost, and my optimised AL settings can find it in the Pink Faun 2.16 thread on page 10 onwards. Some ongoing discussions there on AL settings with Bios tuning.

One key setting I noticed that most seem to use in AL that I don't use is the Extreme mode setting. Try it without

6 hours ago, michaeltay5871 said:

I have personally tried both Euphony and AudioLinux and found without doubt that Euphony is better sounding.  No matter how I tweak Audiolinux it has a somewhat brighter and more forward sound.  Has anyone tweak AL to be very close or even better than Euphony?  I would greatly appreciate if he or she can share the settings here.

I was comparing both Euphony and AL at the NUC endpoint in combination with HQP desktop at the server. Al sounds preferable to me in this combination. If I may use analogy, AL vs. Euphony resembles me HQP vs. Audirvana. 

I tried many different AL settings, but found out default works just fine, with only ramroot enabled, realtime extreme. 

I find that the in my system the combination of AL and Euphony gives the best synergy.

AL 5.2 BFQ running Roon Server on NUC 8i7BNH Ramroot Enabled, Boot mode-Standard, Priority-Extreme, Scaling Driver-ACPI, Max Frequency, Turbo Off, Hyperthreading Off, RoonDB on Optane memory, LAN Bridged to NUC 7I3BNH, Akasa case, running Euphony-Stylus EP. 

I find that AL in both machines sounds lean. I have to adjust my DSP and subwoofer settings to have higher bass than my usual room curve to give me the much needed bloom and meat. With Euphony on both machines, I set to my normal room curve but I miss the. Transparency and PRAT of AL. It sounds quite boring. 

Both OS's have equal stage width and image height with Euphony better on image density. 

Combining AL and Euphony gives me Bloom, PRAT, transparency, Image Density, better defined Soundstaging and imaging. 

Both machines are powered by ZEROZONE 19volts Ultra Low Noise LPS and with low latency RAM

Has anyone yet compared Euphony Stylus vs. AL with Roon/HQ Player?     I think to compare Euphony to AL, AL should also be running HQ Player.  Since both then can do upsampling etc.

Do people know how updated the Euphony OS is? And how often do they update the kernel? The reason I am asking is if this kernel is an older version (not 2017 or newer) the server can be corrupted.

Just asking.

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Do people know how updated the Euphony OS is? And how often do they update the kernel? The reason I am asking is if this kernel is an older version (not 2017 or newer) the server can be corrupted.

There were two updates in July.

uname -r gives out: 4.18.7-rt5-3-rt-bfq

Windows Server 2019 Core (AO, Roon, HQPlayer, Fidelizer) --> "magic" NUC7CJYH (GentooPlayer-ramroot/NAA)/ pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (GentooPlayer-ramroot/RoonBridge) --> ifi Pro iDSD --> B & M Prime 6 or Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced cable)

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> RME ADI-2 DAC --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Evening all,

I'm alittle bit late to the Euphony party,  having only just been made aware of it.   This knowledge has just come at the right time because I was about to embark on the 'Upgrade trail'.

In the next few weeks I will be updating my purpose built DIY Audio PC.

Currently System - CAPS (Lagoon - WS2012 R2 Essentials OS with Audiophile Optimizer v2.20 in Ultimate Core mode - Fidelizer 8.1pro -128g SS HD + Sotm USB exp card) - Synology NAS DS416 Slim - JRiver 18.  Curious USB out of Sotm into Mutec MC3+ USB.   AES 110 ohm out of Mutec into Kii3's

I was looking at Updating to WS2019, AO 3.0 and Fidelizer 8.4 and Jriver Ver 24.    Also replacing the 128gig SSD with a 2TB to have the music stored 'in house'.

I have some questions re the Euphony - Stilus setup.

1.   The mutec requires a driver to be installed on WS2012 and 2019.    Do you need to install the Mutec driver in the Euphony and if so is that simply done the normal way.

2.   I take it Euphony can still send the signal via the Sotm PCIe USB card to the Mutec?

3.   I looked but couldn't find any, has anyone compared a similar system to mine using WS2019, AO3.0 and Fidleizer to the Euphony?    Results???

Regards Cazzesman

2 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

Evening all,

I'm alittle bit late to the Euphony party,  having only just been made aware of it.   This knowledge has just come at the right time because I was about to embark on the 'Upgrade trail'.

In the next few weeks I will be updating my purpose built DIY Audio PC.

Currently System - CAPS (Lagoon - WS2012 R2 Essentials OS with Audiophile Optimizer v2.20 in Ultimate Core mode - Fidelizer 8.1pro -128g SS HD + Sotm USB exp card) - Synology NAS DS416 Slim - JRiver 18.  Curious USB out of Sotm into Mutec MC3+ USB.   AES 110 ohm out of Mutec into Kii3's

I was looking at Updating to WS2019, AO 3.0 and Fidelizer 8.4 and Jriver Ver 24.    Also replacing the 128gig SSD with a 2TB to have the music stored 'in house'.

I have some questions re the Euphony - Stilus setup.

1.   The mutec requires a driver to be installed on WS2012 and 2019.    Do you need to install the Mutec driver in the Euphony and if so is that simply done the normal way.

2.   I take it Euphony can still send the signal via the Sotm PCIe USB card to the Mutec?

3.   I looked but couldn't find any, has anyone compared a similar system to mine using WS2019, AO3.0 and Fidleizer to the Euphony?    Results???

Regards Cazzesman

Looks like you're in an ideal place to compare WS2019, AO and Fidelizer vs Euphony - you can run Euphony from a USB stick on your existing (or new) setup.  I have not found any other comparisions either, so would be very interested in your findings if you could post them here.

Regarding points 1 & 2 - if it works with linux then it should work with Euphony.  Download the trial version of Euphony and test it.

2 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

1. The Mutec should work without the need to install anything. Euphony is based on Archlinux.

2. Yes.

3. Hmm.. I had a Windows Server 2019 core installation on my former computer (I should update my signature!). Indeed I would recommend to update from WS 2012 to WS 2019. The installation is much more convenient now with AO 3.0 (thanks to Phil).

Well, testing Euphony on that former computer animated me to build a new one, more powerful and to purchase the Euphony license. I don't use the Stylus player. I am more into the Roon/HQPlayer tandem. The plan is to make a WS 2019 core installation on this new computer (Intel i7-8700, ASRock Z390m-itx/ac, 16GB RAM, 32GB Optane drive). I want to give JPlay Femto another try. I found it pretty impressing. And besides I want to try Audiolinux again. I already have bought two more 32GB Optane drives.

About results.. hmm.. I found WS 2019 in core mode with AO 3.0 beta, Fidelizer, Roon, HQPlayer and JPlay Femto trial great on my former system. But then to my surprise I was surprised by this Euphony! So much that I opened my wallet. 

Windows Server 2019 Core (AO, Roon, HQPlayer, Fidelizer) --> "magic" NUC7CJYH (GentooPlayer-ramroot/NAA)/ pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (GentooPlayer-ramroot/RoonBridge) --> ifi Pro iDSD --> B & M Prime 6 or Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced cable)

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> RME ADI-2 DAC --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro