IGNORED

Shootout at the Linux Corral: AudioLinux vs Euphony

Dirk,

You hit one of the nails right on the head here.  You have found what you wanted. There are many systems out there that provide some of the same benefits you have opted for.  Really the underlying OS is not relevant if the system designer does their job right. You have a commercial product with support that "just works"

I am really happy that we have AL and the like to help make our systems sound better.  Great research and work going on here.

I love to tinker or play around with this stuff.  I enjoy it.  It is a journey for me.  

I believe that "open source" thinking might not be the goals for some folks.  Pinkfaun system is there to make them money!.  I cannot say what motivates others. Some of us need income to live!

31 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I'd be curious if the media drives can be USB3 connected. That should allow most external storage options.  Not too keen on abandoning Roons database/Qobuz integration capabilities but comparisons of AL and Euphony as Roon core and/or endpoint sounds intriguing.

Yes I am on USB 3 port for my music drive.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

1) Per Euphony's support site, you have to have a dedicated HD/SSD for OS install... will win no fans on the endpoint side

2) there is no statement of minimum hardware requirements

so this doesn't appear launch ready "for prime time" yet

will give it a whirl as server on NUC7PJYH/8gb RAM with an SSD installed and USB3 attached storage media.... if it runs on that, then HW

limits shouldn't be a concern.

Let me come to their defense a little bit with and admission that my own small business is far from perfect from communications with customers.  I think that their primary product is the server side of things.  They sell servers in different parts of the world and sell SSDs with the OS installed.  I find it very hard to get the end user docs right let alone define who the end user is.

They have a tech support site that you can submit tickets on and they have been very responsive.  The documentation is a little weak on the website and the FAQ is “thin”. I have submitted tickets and they have responded rather quickly.  

It is my understanding that you can finish an install on an endpoint type device.  I am running it off of USB sticks in trial mode (Stylus Server).  I have not tried Roon or any of the other options as of yet.

I am testing the server / player software between my NUC/Xeon.  I am not ready to say much more about this yet as A/B takes 10 minutes because I only have one power supply and storage drive.

I am about ready to commit to purchasing at least one license.  

This may not be the most “tinker-able” OS to play with.  I will say that I made a USB stick, booted up and had a music server system up and running with no issues.

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

Sigh... doesn't look like I can get into NUC BIOS until I get a wired vs wireless keyboard... fast boot is enabled so wireless keyboard F2 doesn't work

and holding the power key for 3 seconds doesn't give the BIOS shell either.

I keep a display, keyboard and mouse I the cabinet with the stereo....  I hate this stuff.  I have no wireless in my hardware.

1 hour ago, dc-audiogeek said:

I bought a Euphony Audio PTS (i3 8 GB ram linux-based server) from the company and have been using Euphony for a year and I really like it. I think the Euphony Stylus-based music app sounds great but is a bit pokey. Euphony works perfectly fine with HQPlayer and Roon. 

Arthur, their USA rep, is very responsive to questions and getting bug reports to the engineering group. He's great. His email is: [email protected].

Euphony regularly updates their software with additional features and better audio quality (v3 just came out and sounds fantastic). It blows away Auralic's products (the last generation... haven't heard the latest models).

I'm very pleased with Euphony overall.

That sounds great.  I have been playing with the Stylus server and it sounds great.  The UI is "different again"!  I am used to using Roon which I cannot test till I send them money!

What are you using on a regular basis and how is your system configured?

Thanks for helping!

5 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Hi Bob, thank you very much for this thread. I downloaded Euphony last night and was testing Roon core with HQPlayer embedded. I must say I liked what I heard but it seems my USB stick is not made for this kind of continuous operation. I still want to give Euphony a try as endpoint for Roon and HQPlayer.

I buought licenses and am setting up on faster storage..

12 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Sorry I'm still confused.  As a long time HQPlayer user (I started the embedded thread) I am wondering what you mean.  I was told that Stylus is Euphony's music player, yet you describe using Roon (as library manager and ipadgui) to HQplayer (as upsampler) and then running HQplayer NAA on the PTS box.  Where does Stylus (a music player) even fit in here?  How did their going to Stylus V3 affect your sound if what you use is Roon and HQplayer?  You show Stylus as a GUI, but it's now what you use, right?  You use Roon.  Thx

You can use Euphony OS with either their Stylus music player or Roon or several other configs

1 minute ago, jkelly said:

Thanks.  I can only get to the root of the NAS('s) and not to the actual audio folder - I'll figure it out.

I didn't want to mess up my 2 NUC AL setup - so I wrote the Euphony .dmg file to a 32gig MSATA drive,

using a MSATA - USB adapter, and put it into my old DN2800MT.  So far so good! TY!

I did it with the path section of the library setup right next to the server name.

I completed some listening using the endpoint as a server.  I am not going to comment yet on how that sounded.  I have to test Roon first!

So Busy day and no REAL WORK was done.  OH well, I did wash the floors and vacuum so my wife will be happy.

I have my server running E3 off of an NVMEe stick. The server is not bridged yet.  I have a fiber link to my UBNT switch.  The other fiber port goes to the system.  The endpoint is set up as before.  Fiber to the TLS switch to the NUC.  

Over on the E3 OS setup thread, I have some OS and APP Notes.  There were bumps in the road.  My son and Only have about an hour of listening and a fully detailed report is not ready yet.

>>>>PLEASE SOMEONE ELSE TRY THIS>>>>

>>>>Do not scroll down if you want to avoid early spoilers

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

SPOILER ALERT: OMFG

Listen to  Joe Ford "Distilled", BT "Omega",  Uncle Lucius "Keep The Wolves Away" in a before and after mode if you can!

Bob

58 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK so@ArthurPower can you explain some key differences between AudioLinux and Euphony that might account for Euphony's reported superior sound quality?

Rick,

I would think that it would be valuable  if YOU could test this on YOUR systems and validate or invalidate what I am hearing.  That would "add to the shared knowledge" in a positive way.  

In addition, there are many OS variants that are used in audio systems that could be compared.  I think that while it might be interesting to develop that list and learn from it, we might not have time to sit down and listen for fun! 

I started this thread to encourage others to try what I am finding.  I really want others to just boot-up Euphony and see if it works for them.  

6 hours ago, Bricki said:

Is it possible to simply download the trial, boot off a USB stick and then run roon bridge? Or is roon bridge the part that I need the patch for?

I am keen to do this and compare directly with Audiolinux on my NUC7CJYH running roon bridge

The current bug is that it does not run roon bridge properly.  You can run Squeezelite and that will work.  

The problem you have is that the unlicensed version will not boot on that NUC

8 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi ,

Does the Euphony OS allow dual pc set up ?

If yes can you run both server and player pc from just USB key ?

What is the minimum ram requirement for server and player side ?

Can you run roocore and roonbridge config ?

Many questions , thank for your help. 

Jean Michel

I have a whole thread dedicated to setup.  Short answer is you can boot from USB but I would not do that with sever..  There is a problem with Roon Bridge setup.  I do not know the minimum ram.