IGNORED

Shootout at the Linux Corral: AudioLinux vs Euphony

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

In my systems design with a NUC endpoint and a custom built Xeon server I have found that Euphony sounds best to me.  

Thanks for all your great work on this @bobfa  are you running 

Server: Euphony/Roon/

Endpoint: Euphony/StylusEp

Means we would need 2 licences to get your best SQ?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

4 hours ago, bobfa said:

Here is my summary of findings in my systems listening to Audiolinux, Roon, and Euphony Stylus.

1. Euphony OS  running on both server and endpoint improve sound quality for me.
  2. The Euphony StylusEP sounds better in a dual computer Digital Music Source system.  It overshadows Roon and Squeezelite bridges.
  3. Changing to a single box system running Euphony Stylus sounds better than Roon in any combination.  Note I did not play with large buffers in Squeezelite.
  4. Testing between my NUC and my Xeon machines the Xeon sounds better.  Same power supply same cables, same music sources, same output.  Euphony Stylus win! Dynamics, detail, digital harshness, depth, and placement are all improved.  

All of these changes are incremental improvements. I am looking back at a couple of months of testing, and I feel that the I missed out by not listening to the folks at Euphony and giving Stylus player a fair trial.  I had blinders on to my physical system design of two boxes.

For TODAY for ME!  Euphony Stylus single box won the shootout. 

Here is the hardware summary
NUC:  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55681-from-0-to-xeonalroon-server-in-2-days

Server: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55383-from-0-to-nucalram-in-2-hours

--

On the Kii Three Speakers, I have the following configuration around the Digital Music Source.

Networking is fiber from the main house network switch.  
The computer and FMC are powered by the HDPLEX 400
In the USB audio chain, an UpTone Audio LPS-1.2 powers the IsoRegen.

---
I transferred the NUC endpoint to my desktop system for headphone listening. The NUC is now running Euphony Stylus.  Powering the NUC is an UpTone Audio JS-2.  The Schiit LYR3 with their multi-bit DAC follows.

---

Reading what others have built and experience it appears that I have several areas of potential hardware improvements.  At this time, the only thing I am considering is changing the stock power cabling between the HDPLEX 400 and the Xeon motherboard.   There will be research into USB such as the JCAT USB card or a tXUSB  Ultra.   I will also be examining how HQplayer works in my system.  I am still comparing music on a local drive vs. the NAS.  

In closing this note out.  I am still learning Stylus player.  I have printed the manual to read.  

Bob

Thanks Bob!

I just did a quick and dirty test of the trial version of Euphony/stylus only on my NUC7PJYH  server (instead of current AL NUC server and NUC endpoint which still sounds awesome to me each day) And I'm not impressed yet. I know I have just done a quick listen, running off a usb stick but it sounds very harsh and soundstage collapsed. More testing needed...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

5 hours ago, bobfa said:

Boot your endpoint with the USB stick and use it as a single unit running Euphony Stylus.  

Thanks Bob. Yes that's what I have tried - Euphony with Stylus, but not getting any of the magic reported recently. I know there is more to it, with different hardware recommended etc. but thought I'd give it a try and mention this for anyone else wondering about using on their low powered NUC7s.

I also wanted to see what life without Roon might be like and just using Tidal which surprisingly I think I could live without if SQ was superior.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Make sure the the volume control setting in stylus is set to hardware.  

And if it does not sound like you want then we have another data point.  

I’ll check that and hopefully get time to set it up optimally tonight and post my thoughts. I’m ‘hoping’ I won’t be tempted down another path of spending/upgrading 😬

10 minutes ago, Balázs said:

I agree on that and I also have the Omega Alnico drivers. Try to use Roon Server on Euphony to reduce the harshness but you would loose the benefits of Stylus. To get back to the fuller SQ while  keeping the harshness down I suggest the dual box Euphony/Roon server setup I described earlier.

One thing I'm going to try is to install Jplay femto (on Windows) on the Endpoint while keeping Euphony with Roon Server on the Core. Might be a "best of both worlds" situation.

Cool thanks @Balázs.  and round we go.. :)

Interesting but not planning to spend more right now...

."6. Both(!) the Core and the Endpoint have to be Euphony Roon servers. Yes, even on a bridge the Roon server software sounds better. Therefore  two full Euphony licences are needed, unfortunately."

54 minutes ago, Balázs said:

Come on, that's the name of game 😉 

.... The collaboration is what I like... :)

56 minutes ago, Balázs said:

But I see your point and getting the Stylus SQ while keeping Roon is currently expensive. I hope that someone will figure out a more cost effective way. Roon is still a must have to manage music collections imho. 

very interesting place we have come to...

5 hours ago, bobfa said:

And if it does not sound like you want then we have another data point.

54 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi tapatrick,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just to clarify; are you using the NUC7PJYH as a single machine with Euphony Stylus?

Secondly, may I ask how your NUC7PJYH powered?

Geoff

Hi @HeeBroG I'm powering my NUC(s) with Paul Hynes SR4. As there is no doubt about the importance of PSU quality, I'd love to get my hands on an SR7, but it's not going to happen. Down the road I'm going to try out a Ciunas Audio Supercap PSU - but that's a whole different topic.

Yes I'm trialling my NUC7PJYH as single box with Euphony Stylus.

Thanks to all for the great input on the causes and solutions for harshness problems. Interesting times and much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, luisma said:

Hi did you ever tried the Ciunas?

I have ordered a 7.5v version and its on it's way. I tried out John Kenny's 5v version powering my Aqvox switch (it is on tour over at Pinkfish forum) and it is very good, having a calming effect on audio running through it. He is developing a variable version 12-25v.

10 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I have ordered a 7.5v version and its on it's way. I tried out John Kenny's 5v version powering my Aqvox switch (it is on tour over at Pinkfish forum) and it is very good, having a calming effect on audio running through it. He is developing a variable version 12-25v.

18 hours ago, luisma said:

Hi did you ever tried the Ciunas?

..in fact the Ciunas at 5v compared favourably to the PH SR4 as I couldn't distinguish the difference between the 2..