IGNORED

Shootout at the Linux Corral: AudioLinux vs Euphony

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

Sigh... doesn't look like I can get into NUC BIOS until I get a wired vs wireless keyboard... fast boot is enabled so wireless keyboard F2 doesn't work

and holding the power key for 3 seconds doesn't give the BIOS shell either.

Hi, I fear you will have to reset the BIOS by clearing the CMOS. I had to do the same a couple of months ago. I thought that activating fast boot is a good thing. Maybe it is as long as you don' t need to enter the BIOS. 🙂

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

4 hours ago, bobfa said:

That sounds great.  I have been playing with the Stylus server and it sounds great.  The UI is "different again"!  I am used to using Roon which I cannot test till I send them money!

Hi Bob, thank you very much for this thread. I downloaded Euphony last night and was testing Roon core with HQPlayer embedded. I must say I liked what I heard but it seems my USB stick is not made for this kind of continuous operation. I still want to give Euphony a try as endpoint for Roon and HQPlayer.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

23 hours ago, davide256 said:

will give it a whirl as server on NUC7PJYH

Bad news. I have the NUC7CJYH and tried to boot from two USB sticks without success. Our NUCs doesn't support Legacy USB.

NUC7xJY_TechProdSpec (page 58).

And pls have a look at page 60. There you find the point 3.7.4 Power Button Menu.

10 minutes ago, motberg said:

Can Euphony be used to make a NAA computer for a separate HQPlayer server PC (running Windows10) and connected via Ethernet ? 

Yes.

euph.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, beautiful music said:

I faced same thing on your point no.2 and I will try to ask them if this limited to paid license.

You still have to add the mounted drive to your library under "Action" (the three dots).

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jay Tee said:

I’ve just followed you and added an Optane stick to my NUC running trial Euphony and it shows up in Euphony. I need your guidance on how to move  my Euphony from the USB stick to the Optane drive (assuming I can do it with the trial).

You can install the euphony image on the Optane stick this way: http://www.modelpromo.nl/AudioLinux-part2.htm

6 hours ago, Jay Tee said:

Thanks all. Will report back after trying Holzohr’s suggestion.

6 minutes ago, Jay Tee said:

Holzohr,

One quick question: Can I use your routine to clone my current USB stick boot disk or do I have to start from scratch and use a fresh image?

To be honest I have no idea. I gave that way (decribed for Audiolinux) a try and it worked. Not sure if you must adjust the boot parameter when you clone your USB stick. You can try it and in case the cloning doesn't work you can go the "restore the image" way.

1 hour ago, Jay Tee said:

Sorry I might’ve confused you with the word clone. I meant the same restore you described...but the question was did you do it with a fresh image or with the image on your already in-use USB stick.

When you place the image on your USB stick with help of Etcher or similar it is not an image anymore. You have two or three partitions on your USB stick then. So yes, I did it with a fresh (unzipped) euphony.img file that I copied onto a second USB stick (the first USB stick was the Linux live stick).

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one who is using the HQPlayer on Euphony? I can not save any changings in the settings with the new release. I wonder if someone other can confirm this. Already have addressed it to Zeljko.

15 hours ago, sergiocurvelo said:

Is it possible to use HQ Player in the  Euphony "trial version"? I can not configure.

To add your HQPlayer license you must purchase the Euphony license before. With the Euphony trial you only can use HQPlayer in its trial mode. Please note that you have no access to the web interface of HQPlayer embedded. Besides there are still some issues to set the noise shaper of your choice for PCM resampling and you only have the choice of DSD or PCM as Upsampling mode. Auto is missing. Željko wants to fix this in the next release. As workaround to set the noise shaper and the Auto mode I use the Android app HQPDcontrol. This works until the next boot of Euphony or restart of HQPlayer.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Do people know how updated the Euphony OS is? And how often do they update the kernel? The reason I am asking is if this kernel is an older version (not 2017 or newer) the server can be corrupted.

There were two updates in July.

uname -r gives out: 4.18.7-rt5-3-rt-bfq

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
16 hours ago, davide256 said:

For Roon, I have found that when using it the HQplayer option for Stylus endpoint does improve sound,you might want to try that also.

11 hours ago, Peter Avgeris said:

I am not using HQplayer because I never liked this program. HQP is basically a DSD interface.

@Peter Avgeris No need to use the HQPlayer.. just use the HQPlayer 'path' on Roon for StylusEP. A very nice tweak from the Euphony team.

About USB interfaces. I was testing Euphony the very first time with a Gigabyte H110N board and an Intel Core i7-7700T one year ago and yes I was that 'blown away' that I purchased a licence. And that even by listening through the native USB ports. (I had the Windows Server 2019 core running on that system before and AO, Fidelizer, Jplay...). 

However I thought it is a good idea to have a more powerful system (due to HQPlayer) and bought an i7-8700 cpu and an ASRock Z390M-itx/ac board. And the irritations began... The Euphony sound through the native mainboard USB ports didn't blow me away anymore. A Matrix Element H card made the things better but the problem is (imho) Euphony or AL gives realtime priority to the native USB ports by default. Well I went back to Windows Server 2019 (HQPlayer, JPlay, Roon Bridge) again for this Intel/ASRock system and used Euphony (Stylus, Roon Core, StylusEP) on a NUC7I7DNKE in Akasa case for a couple of months.

Yesterday my NUC8I7BEH arrived (interestingly enough it gives me a 'Summus' option in the settings. For enabling the 'exclusive features' you have to contact the support.). Well, running Stylus or the Roon Core on the NUC8I7BEH and StylusEP on the NUC7I7DNKE now but for sure I will try the NUC8I7BEH as stand-alone device, too. I like to play/test and like to have the possibilities to play around though it gives me a 'headache' now and then. I was still wondering why the Gigabyte H110N/Intel i7-7700T system gave me such a great sound with Euphony (and even more wondering why I have sold that system!). Though the Gigabyte board doesn't have these DAC-UP USB ports that Jussi (HQPlayer) likes so much. After reading a couple of days ago that Emile from Taiko Audio had a preference for the Intel Core i7-7700K I was confused even more. It seems I already had a very nice sounding system without to know about the possible hardware reasons for.

Sorry for my English.

Cheers,

Mario

The NUC overkill: NUC8I7BEH and NUC7I7DNKE (below).

IMG_20200425_192554.jpg