IGNORED

Having a TV in my Audio System

Hello,

This seems as good a place as any to ask this question. I have been lucky to keep a TV out of my audio system for the last few year... but to be honest not sure if that is a big deal or not. What impact would having a TV in my audio setup impact sound staging, etc? Worse that the plain white wall that is there now? What impact would throwing a blanket or some kind of absorption material over the TV when doing serious audio listening have? Any products that specialize in this?

Anyhow forced to move my PC and VR system downstairs, need the floorspace for VR, and have been doing more work on this system after hours when my wife is sleeping.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Just my $0.02- but it kind of depends upon your room. In most rooms, a TV is only going to make a minimal difference, especially since all modern tis are flat screen and hang on the wall. If it does make a difference, you have some choices, including furniture were the tv will simply disappear into the furniture, or screens the retract into the ceiling.  Nothing's perfect of course, but the impact of being able to watch operas, ballets, concerts, and live shows is pretty dramatic for me. 

The worst that can happen is you remove the TV. :). 

I highly recommend the Samsung Frames, even if they are a tad expensive.  4K video, only one tiny little optical cable to run to the video unit (even carries power, and it is small you don't even need to fish it through the wall), and when it isn't being used, it can display artwork or even your favorite photos.  Mounts really close to the wall too, so it is less obtrusive. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

My speakers are about 3 feet out from the wall in an almost near-field position. My TV is sitting on a console between them and is about 18" from the wall. I put a blanket over the TV when listening since the soundstage is affected otherwise. My guess is that the effect is frequency dependent but I have not experimented a lot.

The Frame TV looks pretty cool. Much better looking that my blanket. Being on the wall well behind the speakers would probably offset the audible effects somewhat.

Many things are a compromise for our hobby unless one is lucky enough to have a dedicated listening room 🙂

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

the blanket should help with high freq. sound - for higher freqs. you want to think about rays (like a light ray); for low freqs. think about standing waves

if you have dipole speakers (as I do) the TV will cause less of an effect due to the speakers radiation pattern

future TVs will likely rollup or roll-down like an old slide screen (at a cost, initially)

also a possibility of the TV injecting noise into the sound system...