I trust WD, have their 6 drives (3x2TB and 3x3TB), all of them working flawlessly. But it seems it's not enough, I need a 6TB external drive to store music files and my first choice would probably be WD Elements or My Book. As far as I know they incorporate the same drives inside the only difference between them being some additional software which comes with My Book. I'm not interested in this software but I'm interested in the noise levels both drives produce. Couldn't find any information on this topic on silentpcreview. Has someone had a chance to compare them in this regard?

I am using WD Black 4TB as my music file storage in an USB3.1 Gen 2 external enclosure that has ASM1153E chipset, powered with JS-2, using Lush USB cable connect to a USB3.1 Gen 2 card (Gen 2) has ASM1142 chipset, powered with LPS-1.2 with very good result, and is very quite.  I don't have direct experience with the 6TB model, but would imaging the noise level be similar to the 4TB model.

They don't appear to normally publish the electrical noise results, but the attached from Seagate may give some idea.

HDD Electrical noise.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020