IGNORED

Apple TV 2 or 3 and two-factor authentication

Many of us use Apple TV 2 or Apple TV3 for audio (and perhaps, like me, video), because it has an optical output.

I learned the hard way that Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3 won't work if you turn on two-factor authentication.

Supposedly if you put in the authentication code right after you type in your password, it will accept it, but I cannot get this to work.

Anyone know of a work-around?

Thanks, again, Apple.

I deeply regret previously being a shill for this company.  Sorry, everyone.

they sometimes support things after a year - at least for the computers

I haven't had to use or try 2 factor, but hate it anyway

Good Luck - I'm still trying ot get YouTube videos saved to "Watch later" on the mac to show up on the TV3...

Hi Bob:

I also have a Roku, which in general is superior, but the main need for the toslink is playing via Apple streaming.  Also, all the Apple movies, etc, have to be accessed via the ATV.

I think I am just going to revert from the two-factor authentication.  It is more trouble than it  is worth.

Solved:

I was trying to enter the password and authentication code when actually trying to view a previous purchase on Apple TV.  That does not work. In order for it to work, it has to be entered in Settings / sign-in on the Apple TV.  

When you do that, type in your password, but don't enter it.  Instead, go to a computer, and under System Settings > iCloud > Account Details > Security, request an authentication code, and then type that in directly following the password (no space).  Then hit enter.

It works.

21b8e621-NutrathriveBeagleCuddle-460x259.jpg

They really should push a small update/fix for this, or at the very least, publish some coherent instructions.

Apple has clear instructions as to how to do this: 

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204915

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

The point (which you alway  and predictably seem intent on missing) is that Apple's published procedure does not work when the prompt appears in the context of viewing previous purchases.  

To get this to work, one must navigate to setting, force a log out from the iTunes store, then log back in, appending the verification code within the password field.

Hence your assertion that "Apple has clear instructions as to how to do this" is simply false.  Your dismissive, after-the-fact approach to these issues helps no one.

You sign in on the Apple TV in the settings, and if you're not yet signed in, that's where you need to go. Perhaps the Apple TV interface isn't working ideally, if you're saying it's asking for a password when you make a purchase, but you should not have to sign in more than once _unless_ you've set the password time requirement. When I set up a new Apple TV a couple of months ago, I signed in once in the settings, and haven't had to sign in again. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

The reason the Apple forums discussion of the issue, which I linked to in post number 6, is twenty-four pages long, is because it really isn't as simple as you suggest.

The situation for me occurred as follows:  About 10 days ago I finally decided to adopt Apple's two-factor authentication (which in general is extremely well-implemented and seamless.)  I think I updated credentials on about 10 computers several iOS devices without any issue.

Several days later my wife uses our Apple TV2 to navigate to a David Attenborough documentary we had purchased several years ago, and when she hits the play button, we get prompted to enter my Apple ID and password, which I do.  Then a second pop-up window appears, asking for a two-factor validation code (which simultaneously appears on my other devices, exactly as expected). The problem is, there is no field in which to input the number, and eventually I read on the link you posted that it can be done, but one must immediately append it to the end of the password.  So I tried that about 2 dozen times, without success.  It just goes into an infinite loop of rejecting the password followed by the above behavior.

The trick is on page 24 of the discussion linked in post #6.  Unfortunately, I was only on page 2 at that point, where one subset of users was talking past the other subset.  The trick, which I described in post #10, works, but it is not intuitive.  First, you have to recognize that the prompt sequence I was getting will never work, and you have to access the interface differently.

you should not have to sign in more than once _unless_ you've set the password time requirement. When I set up a new Apple TV a couple of months ago, I signed in once in the settings, and haven't had to sign in again. 

Like you, I logged in with my credentials the day I bought the device, and haven't had to look back. This is precisely why it hadn't occurred to me that now I needed to do that (after first signing out).

What finally worked was to go to the iTunes Store section within the Settings app, force a log-out, and then re-log-in, using a new password that is a catenation of the old password and a fresh 2-factor authentication code immediately generated on the spot from within System Preferences>iCloud>Account Details>Security.  What pops up on the screen of your iphone not only won't work, but it will sabotage the process.  This procedure is not intuitive, it is not described by Apple, and is distinctly separate from what appears on the ATV2 interface by default.

Several folks here use "legacy" ATV2 and ATV3 as audio streamer/zone player devices (a "poor-man's Sonos"). I first thought one of them might have run into the problem and would have a solution.  Hence my post.

It seems like I am spending a lot of time on post-hoc justification for what should be a self-explanatory post (post 10).

• 3 weeks later...

Not to beat dead horses.....but I was going crazy trying to get an ATV3 to play season 2 of counterpart.  It showed up on my Ipad and Iphone but I could neither find it on ATV nor airplay it from the other devises.  No matter how many times I entered my infuriatingly long password and tried to give it a verification code...nothing.  My search for help did not find anything amd then I just happened onto this thread.

many, many thanks for saving my mind.........and $#&@*(),!!? To 🍏!😜

On 3/9/2019 at 6:07 PM, wgscott said:

Many of us use Apple TV 2 or Apple TV3 for audio (and perhaps, like me, video), because it has an optical output.

I learned the hard way that Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3 won't work if you turn on two-factor authentication.

Supposedly if you put in the authentication code right after you type in your password, it will accept it, but I cannot get this to work.

Anyone know of a work-around?

Thanks, again, Apple.

I deeply regret previously being a shill for this company.  Sorry, everyone.

I got permanently locked-out of my keychain because of the two-factor authentication. It kept my own passwords as well as those of my wife, children and mum.

Thanks. Apple.

Sorry that I can't help.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)