IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

19 hours ago, iLguapo said:

I have exactly the same switch and SFPs Chris used on his test of the opticalrendu 

Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 (150W) - LINK

Ubiquiti SFP Modules (UF-SM-1G-S) - LINK

and it worked for him then 

Chris has a black belt in network gear so take that into account. Just know that support from us on these kinds of alternate connections schemes will be limited.  

19 hours ago, Summit said:

Well not exactly what I asked about😊, but I would be interested to know the answers to some of your questions too.  

I answered (briefly) some of the questions above and soon there will be plenty of customer feedback. We just need to wait a little bit longer. 

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Chris has a black belt in network gear so take that into account. Just know that support from us on these kinds of alternate connections schemes will be limited.  

I understand and I don’t think anybody expect you to support stuff that you don’t sell but m sure I won’t be the only one trying other options 

my reasons for giving this a try :

1- I’m trying to keep things simple

2- don’t want the clatter of a bunch of boxes 

3-waiting on the optical version of the sonic transport i7

4-already own a switch 

if it doesn’t work , then I’ll be ordering a module 

For what it's worth, I use the US-8-150 into a TPlink FMC without any issues. Not the same thing, I know, but I'm thinking the issues with compatibility will be minimal. Just need SFP modules that support the same speeds at each end. The US-8-150 requires gigabit connection. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
7 hours ago, iLguapo said:

I understand and I don’t think anybody expect you to support stuff that you don’t sell but m sure I won’t be the only one trying other options 

my reasons for giving this a try :

4-already own a switch 

I'm justing trying to make sure people have an easy path to getting to listen to their music. 

On 5/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, iLguapo said:

4-already own a switch 

This all makes perfect sense to me...  Users have to understand that Sonore cannot test all possible Network combinations!  So, the solution is that Sonore offers information/recommendation on gears that have been tested and are known to work together.  This does not meant that combinations not recommended by Sonore will not work, it only means that Sonore cannot guarantee that another combination will work.  Once plenty of opticalRendus and Signature Rendus (optical) are out in audiophiles homes I am sure we will see many folks reporting on all kinds of combinations which work, and which do not work, but to get started, Sonore recommends what is known to work reliably.

Your approach, to try what you have first makes sense.  As far as the opticalModule goes, one MAY experience better performance using the opticalModule in place of an "ordinary" FMC or "ordinary" Switch with optical output, after all better performance is the reason the opticalModule was developed.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

14 hours ago, barrows said:

As far as the opticalModule goes, one MAY experience better performance using the opticalModule in place of an "ordinary" FMC or "ordinary" Switch with optical output, after all better performance is the reason the opticalModule was developed.

In an industry as prone to gross oversell as is high-end audio, where daily the most subtle of upgrades are marketed as life-altering enough to justify purchases requiring expenditures of hundreds if not thousands of dollars, this is a refreshingly humble sales pitch!  

Maybe too much so, though, considering that the module is offered as a $300+ replacement for an FMC that runs less than $30.  

I would at least like to know the specific concerns that the module is intended to address and to have an idea of the differences that you guys perceive exist between your new product and the mass market ones that seem functionally identical to it.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Thanks, gents. I appreciate the summary of the reasons to buy this and, as it happens, owe myself a birthday present. I will place an order, run this off a W4S linear power supply that I have hanging around here, and keep my fingers crossed that my aging ears can tell a difference from the existing setup. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Just started to place an order, but am confused about something. The product page says "Free worldwide shipping with the purchase of an opticalmodule," but the cart wants to add $25 for shipping. 

Is the free shipping limited to the purchase of accessories? If so, I probably would phrase the offer to say something like "Buy accessories with an opticalmodule and we will ship them at no additional charge."

On the other hand, I would prefer free shipping for the optical module. :)

12 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

@Mike Rubin -- i noticed the same thing.  hefty shipping fee, huh . . .

I think so. 

Turns out that I have a question about powering the module. My W4S LPS has 5v and 9v options, but not 7v.  I note that the module can run between 5v and 9v, but I have no idea whether it is smarter to run at one of my two available voltages (and, if so, which one) rather than the 7v that the offered power supplies put out. 

2 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I think so. 

Turns out that I have a question about powering the module. My W4S LPS has 5v and 9v options, but not 7v.  I note that the module can run between 5v and 9v, but I have no idea whether it is smarter to run at one of my two available voltages (and, if so, which one) rather than the 7v that the offered power supplies put out. 

If anything lower lower voltage so it runs cooler. Either way though.... 

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Is the free shipping limited to the purchase of accessories? If so, I probably would phrase the offer to say something like "Buy accessories with an opticalmodule and we will ship them at no additional charge."

I updated the website to this because it does sound nice. 

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

If anything lower lower voltage so it runs cooler. Either way though.... 

Thanks, Jesus.

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Just started to place an order, but am confused about something. The product page says "Free worldwide shipping with the purchase of an opticalmodule," but the cart wants to add $25 for shipping. 

-- i noticed the same thing.  hefty shipping fee, huh . . .

That is just a place holder. The shipping is calculated based on the amount being purchased and different for domestic and international shipping. Right now you can't buy the unit and thus you can't see the actual shipping cost calculated.   

On 5/10/2019 at 12:15 AM, vortecjr said:

Right now you can't buy the unit

It seems to me the OM and OR may be ready almost simultaneously. 

Is there an an opening for those of us that purchased the first 250 otpticalRendu’s to add the opticalModule to the order and save some shipping cost. 

(At least without a PS added). 

Edit:

Just noted I could purchase the unit. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

It seems to me the OM and OR may be ready almost simultaneously. 

Is there an an opening for those of us that purchased the first 250 otpticalRendu’s to add the opticalModule to the order and save some shipping cost. 

(At least without a PS added). 

Edit:

Just noted I could purchase the unit. 

I have not discussed the quantity of the first run so you are off on your guess:)

Anyway, only the opticalRendu can be purchased at this time. Adding a opticalModule will delay your shipment because they will not be ready at the same time. I may open sales of the opticalModule this week, but for free shipping on the opticalModule you most have bought an opticalRendu. Cheaters will have there purchase refunded and directed to the opticalModule product page where shipping will apply. 

I am curious is it possible to design opticalModule as truly standalone module which a wired ethernet from upstream connected to the opticalModule, then internally it goes through short distance fiber optic conversion and isolation, and then output as wired ethernet at the other end? Would this help to cut down clutters in network chain and reduce no of linear pc to use with the module. It is good for consumer's pocket.

2 hours ago, lateboomer said:

I am curious is it possible to design opticalModule as truly standalone module which a wired ethernet from upstream connected to the opticalModule, then internally it goes through short distance fiber optic conversion and isolation, and then output as wired ethernet at the other end? Would this help to cut down clutters in network chain and reduce no of linear pc to use with the module. It is good for consumer's pocket.

You’re requesting a dual opticalModule I think. Wired ethernet in and out, and optical isolation between. 

Are you willing to spend $500 on such a configuration ?

24 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You’re requesting a dual opticalModule I think. Wired ethernet in and out, and optical isolation between. 

Are you willing to spend $500 on such a configuration ?

A less expensive alternative would be to get an opticalModule and a switch with an  SFP slot, something like:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IHWSF0/?coliid=I1EXD07UTAIIPF&colid=1FK3MH1WBCZD2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

51tk2DZkc3L._SS135_.jpg

Something like this item and the necessary PS and accessories wouldn't run more than about $100 all included. I think Sonore was offering something like this with the necessary cables as a "starter kit", but it doesn't appear to be an item any longer. 
Apologies to Jesus if I have it wrong or thinks I shouldn't have mentioned it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, lateboomer said:

It is possible. It would require two internal power supplies to keep it galvanically isolated and the short optical cable as you pointed out. The real question is if it's needed. I'm not sure who much demand there is for it and it could und up being expensive. Something to think about... 

5 hours ago, firedog said:

A less expensive alternative would be to get an opticalModule and a switch with an  SFP slot, something like:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IHWSF0/?coliid=I1EXD07UTAIIPF&colid=1FK3MH1WBCZD2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

51tk2DZkc3L._SS135_.jpg

Something like this item and the necessary PS and accessories wouldn't run more than about $100 all included. I think Sonore was offering something like this with the necessary cables as a "starter kit", but it doesn't appear to be an item any longer. 
Apologies to Jesus if I have it wrong or thinks I shouldn't have mentioned it. 

This could work. We were offering a generic Optical Starter Kit which was conceived because we thought the opticalRendu would be ready much sooner than the opticalModule. Now that both the opticalRendu and opticalModule will come out about the same time we opted to remove the generic Optical Starter Kit and just offer an opticalModule.

You guys are right and points taken. It needs dual opticalmodule to have short optical isolation distance.  The economic reality will still double the cost. I already have 2 pairs of tplink fmc modules which I stored them away and didn't think they provide much difference. I only use a Netgear switch and direct output wired Ethernet.  If opticalmodule can give significant improvement I could get one and use back my existing tplink fmc.