IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

• 3 weeks later...

Status update

The opticalModule boards from the first production run have shipped and should arrive early this coming week. When they arrive we will send an email to the mailing list and open up sales. Initial feedback from beta testers has been very positive. I can't wait to get these out in the wild! The webpages for the opticalModule, opticalRendu and Signature Rendu SE have been updated and you can view all the options that we will be offering.   

7 hours ago, Alfredo said:

I have monomode fiber at home 1310nm, is there any problem in using SFP module

TL-SM311LS Tplink with the Sonore Optical Module ...?

Thnx

It might work, but I have not tried and so I can't qualify it. This link shows the officially supported gear:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55863-sonore-systemoptique/?tab=comments#comment-936768

On 3/26/2019 at 5:28 AM, vortecjr said:

This is correct.

I would appreciate it if you or someone would diagram how it will be used to need two-optical conversion "switches".

I am also a bit lost as to how the new upTone switch fits in, if anyone would venture that.

I hope that is inappropriate for this thread. I apologize if it disturbs someone's sensibilities...but the companies are all kissing cousins as far as I can tell...so it seems OK.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

I would appreciate it if you or someone would diagram how it will be used to need two-optical conversion "switches".

I am also a bit lost as to how the new upTone switch fits in, if anyone would venture that.

I hope that is inappropriate for this thread. I apologize if it disturbs someone's sensibilities...but the companies are all kissing cousins as far as I can tell...so it seems OK.

The only reason to use a dual configuration of FMC’s (OpticalModule) would be if one would or need, an optical isolation and you don’t have an optical endpoint or switch.

Most people would probably like to use one of the OpticalModule upfront their opticalRendu, if they done have a fiber port available already. 

The EtherRegen, or any other network optimization, can (should) be installed last. Before your UltraRendu in your case. 

Please have a look at the links Jesus posted above your post as well. (I copied the picture in that link beneath). 

Also remember that the nature of any switch or a FMC, is bidirectional.

So it’s up to you to defined what port will be upstream or downstream the signal path.

If still not clear to you, you may explain how you like to use the OpticalModule’s in your network.

Have you bought the opticalRendu ?

Planning to order the EtherRegen ?

Please ask questions about the EtherRegen over in the EtherRegen thread. 

But if you understand what a switch is, and how to use it, you should be pretty much covered 😀

F2C2D210-84FE-4576-9487-691B1AF9A9B3.jpeg

On 4/27/2019 at 6:11 AM, vortecjr said:

Status update

The opticalModule boards from the first production run have shipped and should arrive early this coming week. When they arrive we will send an email to the mailing list and open up sales. Initial feedback from beta testers has been very positive. I can't wait to get these out in the wild! The webpages for the opticalModule, opticalRendu and Signature Rendu SE have been updated and you can view all the options that we will be offering.   

Who has beta test it?

2 hours ago, Summit said:

Who has beta test it?

Now, this is where we should be a bit more specific. 

1. Tested, it does what it suppose to do. 

2. It works with some specific equipment

3. Some measurements shows better results. (Whatever that means)

4. If was tested with different PS.

5. It was tested against another FMC, and the beta tester found a better SQ

6. Also what was in front or after the OM, and especially was the opticalRendu part of the tests.

7. Was it tested in both directions

8. Did a dual setup make a difference

No one has yet told us that one should expect better SQ from the opticalModule. I may be wrong, but can’t say I’ve seen that stated nowhere.

So, then why should you purchase the OM vs. and cheap FMC. Maybe because of this:

4. Fixed frequency ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator

Looking forward to some good explanation why purchase the OM, or what to expect, especially compared to any other FMC. 

So so many variables is possible, and would affect the results from any tester.

I personally think it’s a very interesting product.

I’m expecting it to outperform (what ever that means) most FMC’s.

My personal interest is if used in combination with the opticalRendu, will affect the SQ compared to a “normal” FMC. 

Present UltraRendu or MicroRendu owners may like to know if it’s raise the SQ.

I expect it does, and then it’s a well spent $249. 

But I do also think if you’re purchasing two, you’re wasting your money. And that I mean even if two OM sounds better that one OM + an ordinary FMC. And that’s before we even start to discuss the cost to benefit og any 5 VDC PS in use. 

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

The only reason to use a dual configuration of FMC’s (OpticalModule) would be if one would or need, an optical isolation and you don’t have an optical endpoint or switch.

Most people would probably like to use one of the OpticalModule upfront their opticalRendu, if they done have a fiber port available already. 

The EtherRegen, or any other network optimization, can (should) be installed last. Before your UltraRendu in your case. 

Please have a look at the links Jesus posted above your post as well. (I copied the picture in that link beneath). 

Also remember that the nature of any switch or a FMC, is bidirectional.

So it’s up to you to defined what port will be upstream or downstream the signal path.

If still not clear to you, you may explain how you like to use the OpticalModule’s in your network.

Have you bought the opticalRendu ?

Planning to order the EtherRegen ?

Please ask questions about the EtherRegen over in the EtherRegen thread. 

But if you understand what a switch is, and how to use it, you should be pretty much covered 😀

F2C2D210-84FE-4576-9487-691B1AF9A9B3.jpeg

Thank you.

G

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

9 hours ago, thotdoc said:

Please refer to the official systemOptique thread in case we have any updates: 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55863-sonore-systemoptique/

Let me know if you still have any questions.

It may seem like we are kissing cousins. We chat from time to time and coordinate on some things just not as much as you might think.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

6. Also what was in front or after the OM, and especially was the opticalRendu part of the tests.

No one has yet told us that one should expect better SQ from the opticalModule. I may be wrong, but can’t say I’ve seen that stated nowhere.

So, then why should you purchase the OM vs. and cheap FMC. Maybe because of this:

Looking forward to some good explanation why purchase the OM, or what to expect, especially compared to any other FMC. 

My personal interest is if used in combination with the opticalRendu, will affect the SQ compared to a “normal” FMC. 

But I do also think if you’re purchasing two, you’re wasting your money. And that I mean even if two OM sounds better that one OM + an ordinary FMC. And that’s before we even start to discuss the cost to benefit og any 5 VDC PS in use. 

Yes to all the above regarding testing. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't typically get into the sound quality argument unless I'm making fun of the crazy thread:) I can say I never thought we would try to compete with the likes of TrendNet, but sometimes you need to take the bull by the horns.

22 minutes ago, iLguapo said:

Until the opticalrendu comes out we won’t know what other peripherals we’ll need, right ?

No it's known. You need to convert to optical someplace. For your consideration we are making our own converter called the opticalModule.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

No it's known. You need to convert to optical someplace. For your consideration we are making our own converter called the opticalModule.

I should had been more specific, those of us that already have other brand switch with SFP outputs might not need it  or won’t know until we plug the opticalrendu in,right?

Are you still going to offer the optical starter kit with the switch?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 minutes ago, firedog said:

Are you still going to offer the optical starter kit with the switch?

We were because the opticalModule was going to come out about a month after the opticalRendu. However, now that the opticalModule and the opticalRendu are going to come out together we do not need to anymore. An email will go out to starter kit customers offering them a refund if they buy a opticalModule.

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Please refer to the official systemOptique thread in case we have any updates: 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55863-sonore-systemoptique/

Let me know if you still have any questions.

It may seem like we are kissing cousins. We chat from time to time and coordinate on some things just not as much as you might think.

Thank you.

G

8 hours ago, iLguapo said:

I should had been more specific, those of us that already have other brand switch with SFP outputs might not need it  or won’t know until we plug the opticalrendu in,right?

This the big question, as I tried to indicate an other posts.

All Rendu owners would like to know if a fairly reasonable $249 is worth the investment.

And we won’t know until later this month or early June. 

And still, what others hear may not apply to you.

And no, you don’t need the opticalModule if you already have other brand switch with SFP output, if that was you question.

But to verify that further and be more confident that your switch will work, you need to tell us type of switch and SFP. Or compare for yourself with specifications already given that will work with the opticalRendu. 

Or you just add the $40 needed for the Sonore offered SFP and cable to your opticalRendu order,  then you’re almost 100% sure things will work together. 

Not sure if your question was purely technical or related to SQ. (Or both). 

20 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Well not exactly what I asked about😊, but I would be interested to know the answers to some of your questions too.  

19 hours ago, Summit said:

No I mean beta testing. The people using the software are internal to Sonore but not located in a controlled lab. They are instead testing the equipment in their homes just like customers. Its semantics though and you can call it what you like.