IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

5 minutes ago, Ultrarunner said:

I just replaced the SFP modules in my EtherRegen and opticalRendu with single mode SFP modules, based on several posts suggesting this. That really did make a significant difference. So now I’ve ordered single mode optical cable to replace the multimode. 

Aren't the single mode SFP modules meant for very long runs of fiber?  Are/will you be using attenuators?  This seems counterintuitive to me...but stranger things have happened in the world today.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

Aren't the single mode SFP modules meant for very long runs of fiber?  Are/will you be using attenuators?  This seems counterintuitive to me...but stranger things have happened in the world today.

I may order attenuators. I’ll see what things sound like when the single mode cable arrives. Somewhere I read that a long coiled length of single mode cable would provide some attenuation by itself. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Today, I went to Whole Foods (Boulder, CO).  Apparently Boulder County has made a policy of only 50 people allowed in the store at a time, so there was line which took about ten minutes to get inside.  That was not bad, but once inside an awful lot of food was just gone, really people, there is no need to hoard!  We are going to be at this for awhile, and groceries will be available.

Good news is that if you are practicing social distancing, and staying home, it is a perfect time for listening to music, a lot.  Perhaps it is even a good time for some long overdue system upgrades...

The official word from Sonore is to use OM-1 multi mode fiber, and be good with that, but even we like to experiment 😉.  I have used both OM-3 and OM-1, and right now I am trying single mode with Cisco SFP modules (1000 speed of course) and OS-2 single mode fiber (Corning).  There have been some reports around the Internet of folks preferring single mode with the Lumin's X-1, so I figured it was worth a try.  As a Sonore representative I will not say for sure single mode is "better", but it is certainly not worse, and I would be interested in hearing about others' experience trying different fiber cables and SFP modules.  The single mode SFP modules do not appear to use any more power than the multi mode ones, so no issues there.  And all this fiber stuff is pretty affordable for our purposes, so it is not a big financial risk to try different types.  As for possible explanations of how and why different types of fiber transmission might make a sonic difference, i would love to hear from any Networking experts on that.

Of course I just put in the single mode today, and it probably needs to break in to reveal its full potential...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 minutes ago, Flashman said:

Could I power the opticalModule with a DC5V@1 amp output?  I have this ability from my Keces P8 LPS, which has a USB output with this spec.

Yes, that should work.  I would like to see closer to 1.5A max output, just to have a bit more headroom, but 1A at 5 VDC should work fine.  The oM consumes about 400-600 mA during playback, boot up is a probably a bit more, momentarily (hard to measure because boot current draw peak is very short term).

The Sonore Power Supply for the oM is rated 1.5A (and can provide peak currents well beyond this) and 5 VDC output.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 minutes ago, barrows said:

Yes, that should work.  I would like to see closer to 1.5A max output, just to have a bit more headroom, but 1A at 5 VDC should work fine.  The oM consumes about 400-600 mA during playback, boot up is a probably a bit more, momentarily (hard to measure because boot current draw peak is very short term).

The Sonore Power Supply for the oM is rated 1.5A (and can provide peak currents well beyond this) and 5 VDC output.

Excellent.  I will try the Keces to power it.  As an aside, how would I know in operation if it required more headroom? 

You should be fine, as long as it boots up with any difficulty, then in use it will use less current anyway.  If it has any issues powering up, then you know there is a problem, but I am almost certain 1A will be enough.  It kind of depends on the power supply as well, some may have overcurrent protection which kicks in right at its rating, others will allow for brief peaks of current output over their rating.

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

You should be fine, as long as it boots up with any difficulty, then in use it will use less current anyway.  If it has any issues powering up, then you know there is a problem, but I am almost certain 1A will be enough.  It kind of depends on the power supply as well, some may have overcurrent protection which kicks in right at its rating, others will allow for brief peaks of current output over their rating.

I appreciate your quick and helpful responses.  I have a back-up power supply should the Keces solution be inadequate.

21 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

I’m going down that rabbit hole myself. I was wondering if optical cable would make a difference and thought about buying the Corning optical cable that Sonore sells. However, instead I just replaced the SFP modules in my EtherRegen and opticalRendu with single mode SFP modules, based on several posts suggesting this. That really did make a significant difference. So now I’ve ordered single mode optical cable to replace the multimode. 

The fiber that Sonore sells uses InfiniCor from Corning.  This was optimized for multimode, thus ideal for the SFPs that Sonore sells.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

20 hours ago, barrows said:

As a Sonore representative I will not say for sure single mode is "better", but it is certainly not worse, and I would be interested in hearing about others' experience trying different fiber cables and SFP modules.  The single mode SFP modules do not appear to use any more power than the multi mode ones, so no issues there.  And all this fiber stuff is pretty affordable for our purposes, so it is not a big financial risk to try different types.  As for possible explanations of how and why different types of fiber transmission might make a sonic difference, i would love to hear from any Networking experts on that.

Of course I just put in the single mode today, and it probably needs to break in to reveal its full potential...

I'm far from a networking expert, but I think Wikipedia gives us some clues:

"Because of the large core and also the possibility of large numerical aperture, multi-mode fiber has higher "light-gathering" capacity than single-mode fiber. In practical terms, the larger core size simplifies connections and also allows the use of lower-cost electronics such as light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs)..."

"Single-mode fibers are often used in high-precision scientific research because restricting the light to only one propagation mode allows it to be focused to an intense, diffraction-limited spot."

Lower cost electronics that are capable of lower precision could be a possible explanation for why multi-mode may not be as good of a fit for high end audio as single-mode.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

8 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I'm far from a networking expert, but I think Wikipedia gives us some clues:

"Because of the large core and also the possibility of large numerical aperture, multi-mode fiber has higher "light-gathering" capacity than single-mode fiber. In practical terms, the larger core size simplifies connections and also allows the use of lower-cost electronics such as light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs)..."

"Single-mode fibers are often used in high-precision scientific research because restricting the light to only one propagation mode allows it to be focused to an intense, diffraction-limited spot."

Lower cost electronics that are capable of lower precision could be a possible explanation for why multi-mode may not be as good of a fit for high end audio as single-mode.

Yes, I have read the descriptions, but still do not have enough actual information as to if and how SMF might really make for an improvement.  I would like to know more about the internal SFP electronics I guess..  Anyone known a designer of SFPs?

SONORE computer audio

23 minutes ago, Flashman said:

I could be quite wrong but why go the single mode route with attenuation when Sonore provides some simple direction?

I recommend all Sonore customers first get set up with OM-1 multimode fiber.  Then, if everything is working and sounding great, and one has an itch to experiment, it is pretty easy and affordable to do so.

Personally, i decided to experiment with SMF and SFPs because I read that some Lumin X-1 DAC users are preferring SMF for sound quality reasons.  I tried SMF, and for sure it is not worse (I am using no attenuators, and I have a 20 m run of OS-2 SMF), and maybe it is a smidge better (more natural sounding?) but do not quote me on that, as I could easily imagine a difference this small in the short term.  In any case, I am going to keep the SMF set up in place for long term evaluation.

Note that one has to replace both SFP transceivers with specific single mode fiber ones, and then get single mode fiber cable.  These parts all need to be matching for proper operation.

SONORE computer audio

11 minutes ago, barrows said:

I recommend all Sonore customers first get set up with OM-1 multimode fiber.  Then, if everything is working and sounding great, and one has an itch to experiment, it is pretty easy and affordable to do so.

Personally, i decided to experiment with SMF and SFPs because I read that some Lumin X-1 DAC users are preferring SMF for sound quality reasons.  I tried SMF, and for sure it is not worse (I am using no attenuators, and I have a 20 m run of OS-2 SMF), and maybe it is a smidge better (more natural sounding?) but do not quote me on that, as I could easily imagine a difference this small in the short term.  In any case, I am going to keep the SMF set up in place for long term evaluation.

Note that one has to replace both SFP transceivers with specific single mode fiber ones, and then get single mode fiber cable.  These parts all need to be matching for proper operation.

Keep us posted on your journey.  I have a 30-day return on the Sonore stuff so I could easily swap out the modules and the fiber if there were reports of better SQ with a different approach.

1 minute ago, barrows said:

I would rather not be the person to count on for subjective difference reports, as any differences (if at all), are quite subtle, and may not be definitive.  But I would like to welcome customers experimenting with different fiber types to report their findings here.

The reason for this is in these days of objective/subjective wars, one can come under attack from any side (or both), and this is not a good position for a manufacturer's representative to be in (damned if you, damned if you do not).  I find the whole "dichotomy" rather ridiculous, as well as the apparent need to be "right", after all, measurements are critical to designing the best possible gear, but so is listening, and these two things are hardly in opposition to each other!

Well said.  Let's hope some people chime in. 

On 3/17/2020 at 6:56 PM, barrows said:

The reason for this is in these days of objective/subjective wars, one can come under attack from any side (or both), and this is not a good position for a manufacturer's representative to be in (damned if you, damned if you do not).  I find the whole "dichotomy" rather ridiculous, as well as the apparent need to be "right", after all, measurements are critical to designing the best possible gear, but so is listening, and these two things are hardly in opposition to each other!

I, for one, would welcome your impressions. I think, maybe, maybe, I have a very slight preference for single mode, but then again I didn’t test blinded. I did wire my house single mode because it scales up ie same fiber for 40, 100 and up Gbe ... also the electronics are better so ... I wouldn’t be surprised if some cheap generic SFP modules are noisier than genuine or Finisar or Avago modules but who knows. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

I, for one, would welcome your impressions. I think, maybe, maybe, I have a very slight preference for single mode, but then again I didn’t test blinded. I did wire my house single mode because it scales up ie same fiber for 40, 100 and up Gbe ... also the electronics are better so ... I wouldn’t be surprised if some cheap generic SFP modules are noisier than genuine or Finisar or Avago modules but who knows. 

The fiber SFP transceivers are very simple and I'm not really concerned about noise with them. The Ethernet SPF transceivers are much more complex comparatively speaking.  

In case you missed it, here’s an excellent write-up that speaks very positively of the OM:

20 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

In case you missed it, here’s an excellent write-up that speaks very positively of the OM:

Grounding the opticalModule as described in that post is not effective because there is no electrical connection between the enclosure screws and the main board. The proper way to shunt the DC negative to AC ground is to use an iFi Audio Ground Hog with spade converter or equivalent.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:21 PM, kennyb123 said:

My opticalModule arrived this afternoon.  It replaced my upstream Startech FMC, with an EtherRegen used downstream.  It was up and running in no time with the Planet Tech 1000BASE-LX SFPs.  I’ll share my impressions once I’ve spent some more time with it.

Hi Kenny,

Looked on their site and many SFP's to choose from. Which model did you go with?

Best,

CP

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.