IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

I have zero experience with optical stuff, but installation was easy.  Copper ethernet > oM > fiber out > etherRegen > copper ethernet > DAC (Roon endpoint).  Turned on the power (oM and eR powered by JS-2, 7v and 12v respectively) and Roon saw the DAC.  That is always good.  

Will let it settle in, but was listening to sitar music and it sounds very relaxed and natural.  Will take a while to figure out what this brings to the music, but I don't hear anything harsh/weird or anything reduced in naturalness or size.  So far, so good.

The only strange thing to me was that the unit has no feet.  But it is small and fits on the mini-platform that also supports the eR.  They are getting along just fine.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

36 minutes ago, seaharp1 said:

I thought the OM was recommended at 5v...They are using rubber bands included instead of feet… Mine had them today delivered.

Thanks.  That is what those bands are for!  Just left them in the box.  As obvious as connections are, I do think a simple drawing would be a good idea (adding the bands and orientation of the fiber connector).  

The website says:  Power input: 5-9 VDC.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

The lower voltage allows the unit to run cooler.

The rubber feet fall off overtime and get lost...the rubber bands are much better in this regard. I don’t actually have any because I’m using an early prototype enclosure here:) Can someone post an image of the unit with the rubber bands for others to reference?

12 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The lower voltage allows the unit to run cooler.

Would 5v be the ideal, then?  Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, guiltyboxswapper said:

Just received an Allo Shanti with both 5v/1A and 5v/3A so will give both a try in time.  I'm running DSD 512 so likely on the higher side I guess (50mbit/s).

Hi, how did the Allo Shanti turn out? I've been thinking of getting one myself for the oM I just received a couple of days ago. Also, to anyone able to answer, will the galvanic isolation on the Allo Shanti outputs make it suitable for powering two oM's? Just in case I'll get one for the upstream connection :-)

@Steffenegede I believe the Shanti dual outputs are galvanic isolated, and both can run the oM no problem (tested both).  Seems good so far, though not compared to much else but a ground shunted IFI ipower at 5v. 

It is however passing on changes upstream from the ER which I've just added an MPAudio HPULN LSIB type less than 24hrs ago, so guess its doing a decent enough job.

6 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

@Steffenegede I believe the Shanti dual outputs are galvanic isolated, and both can run the oM no problem (tested both).  Seems good so far, though not compared to much else but a ground shunted IFI ipower at 5v. 

It is however passing on changes upstream from the ER which I've just added an MPAudio HPULN LSIB type less than 24hrs ago, so guess its doing a decent enough job.

Thanks 🙂 guess I'll try it out. Atm the oM is connected via a cisco 2960 switch, using the sfp, but the plan is to get two oM's eventually and use the Allo Shanti on both. With the galvanic isolated outputs, to my understanding, it should be ok. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong 😉

I took a look at the descriptions of the Shanti.  It looks like it would be OK to use the two outputs and consider them "isolated", but I would caution folks that this will not produce the absolute best performance.

Isolation is rarely (never really) complete, and the Shanti is a good example of a way to talk about this.  The Shanti produces two "isolated" outputs by using a single transformer, with two secondaries.  This means that the two secondaries, while using completely separated wire coils, will still share some noise through capacitive coupling from one secondary to another.  More complete isolation would be provided by a supply which used two separate transformers, and even better isolation would be provided by using fully separate supplies, in separate boxes, with separate power cables.  Even better isolation than that would be provided by two separate supplies, with two separate power cables, plugged into two separate circuits.  Even better isolation than that would be provided by two separate supplies, with two separate power cables, plugged into two separate circuits, where the two circuits were on opposite phases of the homes AC distribution.

So, one can see that "isolation" is always a matter of degree, rather than being "absolute".  

The one other thing which concerns me about the Shanti, is that by its description, it appears to rely on capacitance after the regulator to define the output impedance (ability to respond to quick current spikes) as they claim LDOs (low dropout regulators) have poor transient response.  Well, only some LDOs have poor transient response.  Really good voltage regulation circuits have much better transient response than any capacitor, and the best power supplies will be designed with a really good voltage regulator, followed by a very small amount of capacitance (as the capacitance will tend to "slow" the response of a really good regulator).  While the Shanti appears to be a well designed power supply, and seems to be a bargain at its price, higher performance can be achieved by using a power supply designed specifically to provide the lowest output impedance (speed) possible.  This is no criticism of the Shanti, at its price it appears to offer great value; the truth is, there is some degree of getting what you pay for here: really good parts cost more (like ultra low noise, ultra low output impedance regulators), and even when you make things in Asia you have to pay more for the best possible parts.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

I took a look at the descriptions of the Shanti.  It looks like it would be OK to use the two outputs and consider them "isolated", but I would caution folks that this will not produce the absolute best performance.

Isolation is rarely (never really) complete, and the Shanti is a good example of a way to talk about this.  The Shanti produces two "isolated" outputs by using a single transformer, with two secondaries.  This means that the two secondaries, while using completely separated wire coils, will still share some noise through capacitive coupling from one secondary to another.  More complete isolation would be provided by a supply which used two separate transformers, and even better isolation would be provided by using fully separate supplies, in separate boxes, with separate power cables.  Even better isolation than that would be provided by two separate supplies, with two separate power cables, plugged into two separate circuits.  Even better isolation than that would be provided by two separate supplies, with two separate power cables, plugged into two separate circuits, where the two circuits were on opposite phases of the homes AC distribution.

So, one can see that "isolation" is always a matter of degree, rather than being "absolute".  

The one other thing which concerns me about the Shanti, is that by its description, it appears to rely on capacitance after the regulator to define the output impedance (ability to respond to quick current spikes) as they claim LDOs (low dropout regulators) have poor transient response.  Well, only some LDOs have poor transient response.  Really good voltage regulation circuits have much better transient response than any capacitor, and the best power supplies will be designed with a really good voltage regulator, followed by a very small amount of capacitance (as the capacitance will tend to "slow" the response of a really good regulator).  While the Shanti appears to be a well designed power supply, and seems to be a bargain at its price, higher performance can be achieved by using a power supply designed specifically to provide the lowest output impedance (speed) possible.  This is no criticism of the Shanti, at its price it appears to offer great value; the truth is, there is some degree of getting what you pay for here: really good parts cost more (like ultra low noise, ultra low output impedance regulators), and even when you make things in Asia you have to pay more for the best possible parts.

👍 I remember reading about this somewhere, but wasn't sure if the galvanic isolation was "good enough". I have 4 dedicated outlets for my system... 1: router, laptop(cheap linear), cisco switch 2: Opticalmodule, Microrendu(lps 1.2) 3: Dac 4: Amp. I have no power conditioning.. been playing around with different power conditioners, but this is the best configuration.. so far. I might throw in some conditioning on the 1st router circuit. Luckily I haven't purchased anything for the oM yet, and two separate linear psu's for the oM's, with the upstream oM on the 1st router circuit seems a better option now. Any suggestions on a single output, somewhat cheap ($200), linear psu for the oM vs Allo Shanti? 😉  

As I work with Sonore, I really do not have much (if any) direct experience with power supplies from other companies, as I just use Sonore supplies, or custom supplies suited for the purpose.  Generally, though, i can say that to a point you get what you pay for in power supplies, there are good performance reasons that the more expensive supplies cost what they do.   Ultimately, a supply such as the Shanti may be all one "needs" though, if one can define that!

As for general set up, with Ethernet (optical or CAT 6A) I like to see the computer gears away from the audio system as much as possible: this is the big benefit of Ethernet, as it allows for long distances without any concern for transmission quality.  I like just having all the "less clean" stuff (servers, routers, switches, their power supplies)  away from the audio system on a separate circuit (hopefully in another room, closet, basement, etc), then with an opticalModule there, and then a long run of optical cable to the audio system with an opticalRendu/Signature Rendu, etc.  This way the audio system is all made for audio, low noise, low emissions stuff, running on a  clean circuit branch.  So I like to see the set up as two sides: one where the commercial computer gear is (noisy side), and one where the audio system is (all made for audio gear hopefully with very low noise circuitry) and the two sides are isolated by the optical link between them.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

50 minutes ago, barrows said:

@kennyb123, interesting take on ow to evaluate subjectively.  Nice.  Figuring out smaller, but meaningful differences can be difficult.  I do not think so much of "darker", but I feel l'm getting somewhere when things feel like they are slowing down a bit, while revealing more low level details.  I suspect this happens when fidelity is improved because the brain relaxes a bit more when it is working less hard (less brain DSP) to sort out the music.

I agree with the brain relaxing a bit more but sometimes it takes a bit of effort to allow ourselves to relax when doing A/B comparisons.  Here are some thoughts I shared with friends about the FMC comparisons:

“Switching to the Startech I found myself taken aback as there was more detail present.  The OM was darker in comparison, but also fuller and more focused.  What came to mind was Rob Watts saying “darker is better” and his caution about noise contributing to more perceived detail.  The OM was darker for sure and much of that was because the background was blacker.”

“When I first started reporting the differences with fiber attenuators I mentioned how using too little seemed to tip the frequency balance toward the treble.  This was the same thing that was happening with the Startech FMC. And I think my initial reaction to this is a lot like the initial reaction we might have to the brightest TV on a showroom floor.  Our eyes are drawn to it, thinking we see better.  It takes some active thinking though to compensate for the brightness difference and look past it to properly judge picture quality.  This was my experience with this particular comparison.“

The net of it is there may be some who favor the Startech because of the apparent extra detail.  

Many years ago a friend let me borrow his Benchark DAC 1.  I was blown away by the amount of detail but ultimately reached the conclusion that the apparent detail was because it was adding some etching.  It was fatiguing to me so it didn’t last long in my system.  A lot of people liked that DAC though, which was very surprising to me.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

3 hours ago, barrows said:

but I feel l'm getting somewhere when things feel like they are slowing down a bit, while revealing more low level details.  

Interesting.  I have the same reaction when the SQ is improved significantly.  After many years, I don't really evaluate new gear in the classic sense of comparison, I just wait for the "relaxation response," which is actually more reliable and happens more quickly than hearing improvements (for me, that is).   The wait can sometimes be long as gear settles in.  For whatever reason, with the oM, the relaxation was immediate.   I do find that it is still settling in and not fully at the point of that immediate response, but am confident it will.  

So does the type of fiber optic cable one uses with the OM make a sonic difference?  If so, what would be the best sounding one to buy, according to forum consensus

Quickly wears heavy-duty body-protective gear, in case he is to receive shots from someone for asking such a question.