IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

On 11/14/2019 at 1:27 AM, MarkS said:

I just got two of these boxes about a week ago and use an Uptone LPS 1.2 on each. I use them “back to back” to convert Ethernet wire to fiber then back and into my streamer. Frankly, I am amazed at the improvement in my system from these little things. I’ve spent a ton more money on other products and got vastly less improvement. These boxes are simply a no brainer. I’m really pretty amazed. 

Nice! 

Comparing the EtherREGEN to an opticalModule

This is based on a recent post by John S:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38968-etherregen-the-long-development-and-active-launch-discussion-thread/page/82/?tab=comments#comment-1007488

ER: The fact that there is a capacitor on the B side shield may be irrelevant. High impedance leakage (the type that comes from SMPS) sails right through the cap.

oM: High impedance leakage (the type that comes from SMPS) can not sail right through the 100% galvanic isolation of the fiber optic ethernet output.  

ER: What is super clean and what is not so clean is going to depend VERY much on the system and how things are connected, again nosimple always works rule.

oM: What is super clean and what is not so clean does not depend on system and how things are connected, again you will always have 100% galvanic isolation of the fiber optic ethernet output regardless of the upstream system.   

ER: If there is a way that leakage can get from something connected to the B RJ45, through the RJ45, through the external clock, then you will have a problem. (it won’t sound as good as it could, it doesn't mean it will sound bad, just not quite as good as it could). So lets look at how this can happen:

oM: There is no way to have leakage current on the fiber optic Ethernet output.Therefore it will always sound as good as is can. 

ER:B side RJ45

High impedance leakage can get through the Ethernet connection whether it is shield connected or not. So if the endpoint is powered by an SMPS it can get through to the B side ground. If the endpoint is powered by an lps, the only way that can happen is through both end tied shielded cable.

oM: High impedance leakage cant get through the copper Ethernet connection to the fiber optic Ethernet output because we have 100% galvanic isolation.

ER: External clock:

Any thing going through the shield of the external clock cable will be directly connected to the B side ground. So it depends on what is happening inside the external clock box. That you may not know. Again if it is powered by an SMPS there is the possibility that high impedance leakage could get through. If powered by an lps you can still have low impedance leakage getting through to the B side gnd.

OM: We do not have an external clock input so no way you can have this issue. You can power the upstream devices with any PS you wish because we have 100% galvanic isolation of the fiber optic ethernet output. 

ER: In order for there to be a problem a loop has to occur through the endpoint and the external clock. Looking at the above it looks like if both the external clock and the endpoint are powered from a decent lps then there will be no path between them.

oM: We do not have an external clock input so no way you can have this issue. You can power the upstream devices with any PS you wish because we have 100% galvanic isolation of the fiber optic ethernet output. 

ER: The BIG problem is if you have an external clock driving more than one thing, you could wind up shunting the ER isolation and creating a leakage loop through the external clock. If the other clock connection is to something connected to the A side (not just directly, clock to motherboard and regular switch in-between can still cause a problem) the leakage loop can cause modulation of the clock feeding the ER.

oM: I have been saying to void doing this for some time now. Same comment as above no external clock = no issue.  

ER: Personally I would avoid using an external clock for anything "upstream" (on the A side) of the ER. It MAY be possible to come up with something for clocking an upstream device, but that is going to take intimate knowledge of the internals of the external clock in order to figure out if any leakage loops will form.

oM: What he said...avoid the spaghetti.  

JS: So the general recommendation is to use lps for the endpoint and external clock, and only use external clock for ER and downstream devices. If you do this you can probably use a shield tied Ethernet cable between the B side and the endpoint.

JR: So the general recommendation is to use a linear power supply on an opticalRendu endpoint and avoid the spaghetti. 

18 hours ago, cat6man said:

has anyone tried the oM in their video systems, i.e. feeding a video box like the nvidia shield?

I don’t have a full oM system (just one) but I can confirm that the Apple TV PQ improved. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Comparing the EtherREGEN to an opticalModule - 2nd post

This is based on a recent post by Brick:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57586-etherregen-installation-usage-difficulty-questions-thread/page/18/?tab=comments#comment-1008029

ER: If you are feeding your optical rendu from the SFP on the A side then you do not want to have any other devices connected on the A side because the other devices clock phase noise will contaminate the ground on the A side.... You should connect your SonicTransporter to your router... You want everything else on the B side of the moat 👍

oM: Science fiction or science fact - Until John shows this hypothesis making audible contributions to the output of a DAC it's science fiction. At any rate you can't contaminate the ground of an opticalModule and send that noise to an opticalRendu endpoint. Why....because we have 100% galvanic isolation of the fiber optic ethernet output.

Comparing the EtherREGEN to an opticalModule - 3rd post

This is based on Uptone Audio website:

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/etherregen

ER: Orders placed now will ship sometime in January. We will update this page when we can determine which week in January.

oM: Wow sounds like holiday blues for some but we are more than happy to help. The opticalModule is on sale for Black Friday in combination with other great products and it's in stock and ships next week! 

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/black-friday-2019

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 6:01 AM, vortecjr said:

260907790_ScreenShot2019-06-02at12_24_31PM.png.a5c518a96cbf2b92e465a53e3cf2dc7f.png

The Sonore opticalModule is a bi-directional fiber media converter or FMC. The opticalModule has an SFP fiber optic transceiver on one side and an RJ45 connector on the other side. The unit can be used to add fiber-optic networking to your existing wired network or convert your existing fiber optic network to a wired network. The unit can be used with a microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, Signature Rendu series (ethernet or optical), or any other network endpoint.

FEATURES

1. High-quality low noise linear regulator
2. External power input jack
3. RJ45 input connector
4. Fixed frequency ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator
5. Includes one SFP fiber optic transceiver
6. Power connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center +)
7. Power input: 5-9 VDC
8. Dimension: 3.5"x2.2"x.7"

Fiber Optic Cable - OM1 - Multimode (62.5/125) - Duplex - LC to LC

You can buy this product on amazon.com here:

https://amzn.to/2Tl9L0q

Hi Jesus,

I have an issue getting my new Optical Module working with my ultra Rendu. For a few years, - I've been successfully running Fiber from my switch where my NAS is in the other room with two TP-Link MC200cm (gigabit) fiber FMCs.

I bought the OModule and tried an LC to SC OM 5 cable and that didn't work. So, - I just recently took delivery of an OM-1 multimode fiber cable and that didn't work either. 

Then i upgraded my ultraRendu to the latest OS update, 2.7 and that didn't work either.

Then I switched A-B connectors on the LC cable side of the opticalModule and that didn't work either. (I also tried rebooting the ultraRendu several times. I also tried using the opticalModule as the "sender" at my switch/NAS and that didn't work either.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is SC to LC fiber just not compatible with the opticalModule?

After putting the MC200cm's back into play again, the ultraRendu worked immediately and brilliantly.

I don't want to buy another opticalMOdule as I want to get an opticalRendu eventually... Is it possible that the SFP cage is somehow bad on the optModule? The lever/bar on the SFP has to come around over the top of the connection: right? 

Any help or advice would be appreciated, - and/or maybe others may benefit from my mistake, or to further elucidate any compatibility issues.

Thanks in advance.   Cheers,

3 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hi Jesus,

I have an issue getting my new Optical Module working with my ultra Rendu. For a few years, - I've been successfully running Fiber from my switch where my NAS is in the other room with two TP-Link MC200cm (gigabit) fiber FMCs.

I bought the OModule and tried an LC to SC OM 5 cable and that didn't work. So, - I just recently took delivery of an OM-1 multimode fiber cable and that didn't work either. 

Then i upgraded my ultraRendu to the latest OS update, 2.7 and that didn't work either.

Then I switched A-B connectors on the LC cable side of the opticalModule and that didn't work either. (I also tried rebooting the ultraRendu several times. I also tried using the opticalModule as the "sender" at my switch/NAS and that didn't work either.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is SC to LC fiber just not compatible with the opticalModule?

After putting the MC200cm's back into play again, the ultraRendu worked immediately and brilliantly.

I don't want to buy another opticalMOdule as I want to get an opticalRendu eventually... Is it possible that the SFP cage is somehow bad on the optModule? The lever/bar on the SFP has to come around over the top of the connection: right? 

Any help or advice would be appreciated, - and/or maybe others may benefit from my mistake, or to further elucidate any compatibility issues.

Thanks in advance.   Cheers,

I think your problem is the MC200cm. It says it is 10/100/1000 capable, which requires auto-negotiation, BUT the fiber protocol the oM uses is JUST 1000 only, it cannot auto-negotiate. This makes me think that TP-Link device is using an incompatible fiber protocol.

John S.

Did you try setting the MC200CM switch to Auto instead of Force? I replaced two MC200CM's with two oM's feeding my uR and everything worked and sounded great. John is probably correct that the two different units are not compatible. Try a second oM, you have 30 days to return it. The oM really is a better unit than the TP-Link one.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I think your problem is the MC200cm. It says it is 10/100/1000 capable, which requires auto-negotiation, BUT the fiber protocol the oM uses is JUST 1000 only, it cannot auto-negotiate. This makes me think that TP-Link device is using an incompatible fiber protocol.

John S.

Hi John,

Thanks for taking a moment to write. Really appreciate you taking the time. 

Cheers,

5 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Did you try setting the MC200CM switch to Auto instead of Force? I replaced two MC200CM's with two oM's feeding my uR and everything worked and sounded great. John is probably correct that the two different units are not compatible. Try a second oM, you have 30 days to return it. The oM really is a better unit than the TP-Link one.

@Axiom05, - thank you very much for taking the time to answer. What a great suggestion, - and now i feel most stupid for not thinking about it. I'll give that a go, - and report back. I think that I remember setting them to "FORCE" when I first installed them. 

Cheers,

7 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Hi @Axiom05

thank you again. That totally worked! The MC220cm IS compatible with the opticalModule. (First I had to switch the A/B LC connectors back to the way they were, and restart LMS, the ultraRendu and both FMCs. But, - now I am up and running. Thanks again for all of your help. Initial first impressions are that the opticalModule on the ultraRendu side is "better than the TP-Link.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Cormorant said:

It is really trippy that I can clearly hear the signature of each power cord.  What is the physics mechanism for THAT?

1st, what power supply are you using?

If you can tell us the physics, that would be interesting!  In any case, some thoughts on power cables, in no particular order:

1.  The quality of the AC power at the wall is different in every home, and changes as well throughout the day, so we cannot expect similar results from different locations when it comes to power cable designs.  These things will have different results in different locations.

2.  Conventional wisdom suggests that noise on the AC is responsible for most, if not all, differences between power cables; in other words, different power cables act as different filters to noise, at different frequencies.  Depending on what kind of noise is on the AC line to begin with, different cables will have different results.

3.  The better the design of a given power supply is, the less influence a power cable should have on the sound, as a better designed power supply will be more immune to the quality of the incoming AC power (and the noise) than a worse designed power supply.  This is not to say that even the "best" power supply will not exhibit some change with different power cables. 

4.  If we had "perfect" AC  (which would be described as exactly 115 VAC, with a perfect 60 Hz sine wave with 0.0000% distortion) I would expect that any reasonable power cable (which is not actually "broken") of 14 AWG or more, which runs a reasonable distance from the source of the "perfect" AC power (say 6' or less) would provide as good performance as is possible.  But no one has perfect AC power  (a good AC regenerator, such as those made by PS audio are pretty close though).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I am not intimately familiar with the SR-4, although the reputation is so good I am a bit surprised that it would be very sensitive to the power cable used.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Barrow, nice post.

I think the bottom line here for users of the opticalModule is to get a really really good power supply for it.  And maybe a good power cable and even an audiophile fuse if you are so inclined.  I would think the Sonore PSU would be an excellent choice since Barrows optimized and tuned it for the Sonore products.

My system here

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an ETA for when the optical Module will be back in stock?  Thanks.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I intend to purchase an opticalModule to use upstream of an EtherRegen as follows:

FIOS > Synology router > wired > opticalModule > fiber > EtherRegen > wired > Innuos Zenith 

My question is about the power supply for the opticalModule.  Sonore offers three different choices of power supplies:  1) Jameco, 2) SGC and 3) Sonore.  My questions is this:  how much does the power supply matter on the upstream/dirty side?  Would there be an obvious sound quality improvement from selecting the Sonore power supply over the other two?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

@barrows thanks for your reply above.  I had very much hoped you would respond.  Very helpful.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256