IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Try mounting a network drive / SMB

Play a DSD256 (or 512 if you have one) directly on a Rendu without the fix — and connected to an opticalModule..

You realize it's Sunday. I don't have DSD 512 files. Instead I played a glorious sounding DSF256 file. BTW my wife came running in to see what it was:) 

419971877_ScreenShot2019-09-08at7_51_57PM.png.7031cb8947631e06f45ff8412d900516.png 

1518009398_ScreenShot2019-09-08at7_53_18PM.png.087d9f713ee343dcf70dc5bbcd4c6b03.png

If you have microRendu or ultraRendu and you are using an opticalModule to stream via HQ Player / NAA please do the following:

Update your unit and wait for the Back to Main Menu link and then reboot. The network most be connected and ready to go before you reboot.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, vortecjr said:

If you have microRendu or ultraRendu and you are using an opticalModule to stream via HQ Player / NAA please do the following:

Update your unit and wait for the Back to Main Menu link and then reboot. The network most be connected and ready to go before you reboot.

I have some feedback to report. One thumb up and one thumb down:) The thumb up is from John S who tested it on my request. The thumb down is from a customer via email.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:57 PM, vortecjr said:

I have some feedback to report. One thumb up and one thumb down:) The thumb up is from John S who tested it on my request. The thumb down is from a customer via email.

I have not even tested the new firmware because I don't have my ultraRendu any more. Exchanged it for a optcalRendu. But if it works it gets two thumbs up from me.

I just wish I would have known about the problem two months ago when i bought my opticalModule. It could have saved me a lot of money. Your lack of information maybe gets a thumb down. 🙂

On 9/11/2019 at 2:05 AM, sgb said:

If you have seen a thumb down from me regarding the solution for the problem it is wrong. I have not even tested the new firmware because I don't have my ultraRendu any more. Exchanged it for a optcalRendu. But if it works it gets two thumbs up from me.

I just wish I would have known about the problem two months ago when i bought my opticalModule. It could have saved me a lot of money. Your lack of information maybe gets a thumb down. 🙂

It's not possible for us to know all the issues that will come up in advance with a new release. With each set of issues we change in response until all the issues are resolved.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:05 AM, sgb said:

I have not even tested the new firmware because I don't have my ultraRendu any more. Exchanged it for a optcalRendu. But if it works it gets two thumbs up from me.

BTW you are testing that firmware because the opticalRendu shares the code. The difference is that on the opticalRendu we can guarantee it will work because of its design. On the micro/ultraRendu the signal is being passed, but an upstream network issue can still prevent things from working. We are now looking at the customer’s switch to see what is going on there. 

On 9/9/2019 at 1:15 AM, jabbr said:

Try mounting a network drive / SMB

Play a DSD256 (or 512 if you have one) directly on a Rendu without the fix — and connected to an opticalModule..

SMB is not good test, because read operations are initiated by the client and in this case file is even cached by the filesystem in kernel. You can quite a bit of roundtrip latency for small reads. For large read operations it still exposes the problem though.

HTTP is a good test because there server will send as fast as it can.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

14 hours ago, Miska said:

For pause frames to work properly through media converters, they need to correctly reflect pause frame autonegotiation support through the chain. This is feature of the Ethernet PHY hardware in use.

We are sending the signal and John has confirmed it, but we still have one customer who can't get things to work. We have an alternative for him though.   

3 hours ago, Miska said:

SMB is not good test, because read operations are initiated by the client and in this case file is even cached by the filesystem in kernel. You can quite a bit of roundtrip latency for small reads. For large read operations it still exposes the problem though.

HTTP is a good test because there server will send as fast as it can.

I set up the SMB test because I hadn't done it in a while. I use the UPnP setup all the time. Its playing now with the same file and the same results...sounds great.    

5 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

@vortecjr, did you delete some posts?

There were some posts by @Miska talking about his recommended minimum specs for switches. Can be useful for people, especially HQP NAA users...

And I can't find them even in the 'Rendu support thread', where you moved some posts.

Send Miska a private message and I'm sure he will be happy to forward you any information you need. 

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Did you disable pause frames here to make sure it is not being used?

I have my Rendu and NAS connected directly to my router. I have a dumb switch connected to my router but it's only used for non audio drops in the kids rooms. I have a WiFI access point also connected to the router. The only custom settings on the router is that I turned of it's internal WiFi.   

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

I have my Rendu and NAS connected directly to my router. I have a dumb switch connected to my router but it's only used for non audio drops in the kids rooms. I have a WiFI access point also connected to the router. The only custom settings on the router is that I turned of it's internal WiFi.   

That doesn't mean pause frames wouldn't be supported. All computer NIC's I've seen so far support it by default. And for example looking at my switch statistics, my iMac (running macOS Mojave) and NUC (running Windows 10) extensively use it together with my switch. (no NAA communication on either link)

Usually you need to explicitly disable it on computers and Rendu if you want to go without it. Some smart switches have it enabled by default, some disabled by default.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

52 minutes ago, Miska said:

That doesn't mean pause frames wouldn't be supported. All computer NIC's I've seen so far support it by default. And for example looking at my switch statistics, my iMac (running macOS Mojave) and NUC (running Windows 10) extensively use it together with my switch. (no NAA communication on either link)

Usually you need to explicitly disable it on computers and Rendu if you want to go without it. Some smart switches have it enabled by default, some disabled by default.

I didn’t say it wasn’t using pause frames. I simply said that I didn’t do anything special to make it work.

IMG_0239.thumb.jpeg.1bb9ac8a6599a2532cd2bee612bb023f.jpeg

I received my optical module today.  It is replacing a FS.com generic FMC.  I am using the same GHENT JSSG ethernet cable that I have been using.  I will try the short ethernet cable provided later.  I wanted to change only one thing at a time!  The Optical Module is powered with a 5V rail from my HDPLEX 500 supply.

The initial experience is a pleasant surprise!  I will start a thread shortly on what I have been doing that includes this module.

Thanks to the team at SONORE for this lovely little box!

Bob

Thanks. It’s really a marvelous device. I connected it between my Cisco 2960 (fiber) and my uRendu. The uR is fantastic, but I was really surprised with the SQ improvement from such a tiny box! Best Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone is having any difficulties powering the opticalModule with an Uptone Ultracaps LPS-1.2? It keeps blinking green and it does not work. Tried at 5v and 7v settings on LPS-1.2

OpticalModule powers and works fine with a Small Green Computer standard 5v power supply

1 hour ago, thyname said:

Anyone is having any difficulties powering the opticalModule with an Uptone Ultracaps LPS-1.2? It keeps blinking green and it does not work.

The UltraCap LPS-1.2 works great with the Sonore opticalModule.  If you are having difficulty with it then there must be a problem with your LPS-1.2 unit.  Please contact us directly so we can exchange it for you. 

Thanks.

Alex @ UpTone Audio LLC

36 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The UltraCap LPS-1.2 works great with the Sonore opticalModule.  If you are having difficulty with it then there must be a problem with your LPS-1.2 unit.  Please contact us directly so we can exchange it for you. 

Thanks.

Alex @ UpTone Audio LLC

I sent you an email. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Thanks.

Alex @ UpTone Audio LLC

I also can confirm it. Great sound!

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 2 weeks later...