IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

/\ /\  Would also be beneficial to indicate this potential issue in the literature (maybe it already is). 

I will test a couple things previously pointed out but doubt any of those will solve the issue without the “bandaid”.  I’ll also try mU as just a Roon endpoint 

I wasn’t aware about the specific “flow control issue” within the mU device that was just mentioned.  Good that the OR has that built in so to speak and not reliant on end users switches / enviro 

My rig

On 9/6/2019 at 9:37 AM, Foggie said:

/\ /\  Would also be beneficial to indicate this potential issue in the literature (maybe it already is). 

I will test a couple things previously pointed out but doubt any of those will solve the issue without the “bandaid”.  I’ll also try mU as just a Roon endpoint 

I wasn’t aware about the specific “flow control issue” within the mU device that was just mentioned.  Good that the OR has that built in so to speak and not reliant on end users switches / enviro 

For me the opticalModule worked with ultraRendu and the Roon endpoint. The problem only occurred with HQP as endpoint. And, no I didn't either find any information about this limitation.

Hi All,

the issue with NAA is somewhat complicated, so I'll try and explain it so it is easy to understand.

Most protocols have an explicit "flow control", the server needs some way to send the data at some rate that doesn't overflow the DAC. The NAA protocol doesn't seem to do this, it seems to rely on a very low level mechanism built in to Ethernet called pause frames. If the receiver's buffer is getting too full it sends a pause frame upstream. The switch sending the data then stops sending data. The problem with this is that this is handled by the network equipment, not the source of the data, HQP.

There are some generic issues here, network professionals hate pause frames, it's very easy for a network  to go into gridlock because of pause frames. The result is that almost all "profesional" switches, which are usually managed switches, do not by default handle pause frames, you have to explicitly turn them on. "Home" routers usually do support pause frames.

The issue with the oM is that the circuit inside is NOT a switch, thus it cannot handle pause frames, it passes them on up stream, but it by itself cannot pause the stream. The problem here is that the linux kernel inside of the Rendus asks the connected device if it supports pause frames, the oM says no it cannot (which is the correct response), so the linux never sends any pause frames when its buffers fill up. The problem is that it SHOULD send them because the oM will send them right along to the upstream switch which CAN deal with it. 

We found this issue in the opticalRendu development and found a fix for it, it causes the linux kernel to go ahead and send the pause frames even when the oM says it cannot handle them. This has gone out in every oR sold. It was supposed to be added to the software for the other rendus, but I'm not sure if it actually made it.

So if you guys are having the problem with NAA and an oM on an ultrRendu or microRendu try doing an update (you have to be at 2.7 for this to work) and see if that fixes the problem.

Note this is only going to work if the upstream switch properly handles pause frames. If you have a managed switch you may need to explicitly turn on pause frames to use NAA (whether there is an oM involved or not).

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

John S.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, JohnSwenson said:

It was supposed to be added to the software for the other rendus, but I'm not sure if it actually made it.

John it has not and we need to push it into the other Rendu's. We are planning to do this very soon.

Thanks @JohnSwenson for the info. 

OK so it sounds like until a software fix is added to earlier rendu's to support this issue, the only solution that "might" work is to either use a dumb switch (which defeats the entire purpose) or enable flow control on a managed switch?

FWIW here are my flow control settings.switch.thumb.JPG.095477e7fc46efbbe6ca7cf30841f9a0.JPG

My rig

Are this flow control issues limited to fiber optic?  If not, why don't people have these issues when just going ethernet to a microRendu?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nothing to do with fiber. I reported a similar issue years ago with Roon and several devices. 

Thanks.  Hopefully this means that if I move from my ultraRendu to an oM plus opticalRendu I won't have issues since my current setup doesn't.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I did but it isn't 100% clear. 

First, John says "We found this issue in the opticalRendu development."  Why wasn't this seen with the micro or ultra?  This comment led me to wonder if this was fiber-related.  I realize now it isn't.

Second, I didn't understand what the oM had to do with this.  It is part of the discussion but it seems like the oM is just passing data.

This is why I asked my question.

If this problem when running NAA protocol, that the OM dosn't support pause frames when my ultraRendu asks, was a known problem why wasn't  I informed about this problem before i bought the OM. It could have saved me a lot of money.

I have tried both a unmanaged switch that have the IEEE 802.3x (Flow contol) protocol and a managed where i enabled Flow control.

It dosn't help

On 9/7/2019 at 3:09 AM, sgb said:

If this problem when running NAA protocol, that the OM dosn't support pause frames when my ultraRendu asks, was a known problem why wasn't  I informed about this problem before i bought the OM. It could have saved me a lot of money.

I have tried both a unmanaged switch that have the IEEE 802.3x (Flow contol) protocol and a managed where i enabled Flow control.

It dosn't help

The opticalModule does not need to support flow control because it just passes the request along. As discussed above the micro/ultraRendu are not requesting it yet.

I agree that having the Rendu implement flow control through standards (pause-frames) is the ideal solution.

Regarding this thread, is there a concern that non-Rendu low powered devices when used with the OpticalModule, won’t send pause-frames because the OpticalModule says it doesn’t support?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, vortecjr said:

No real concern because the devices supported would be 1000 speed.  

I mean what about another low powered endpoint eg one of the Solid Run cubes or anything similar which can’t handle full 1g and would need to send out pause-frames. 

If using the opticalModule would that device (or similar generic) fail to send pause-frames also?

19 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I mean what about another low powered endpoint eg one of the Solid Run cubes or anything similar which can’t handle full 1g and would need to send out pause-frames. 

If using the opticalModule would that device (or similar generic) fail to send pause-frames also?

If it's a DIY solution then they are responsible for the fix. If it's a professional solution then they are responsible for the fix. Just the same with all FMCs that are not switches inside it has to be dealt with correctly

22 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

If it's a DIY solution then they are responsible for the fix. If it's a professional solution then they are responsible for the fix. Just the same with all FMCs that are not switches inside it has to be dealt with correctly

Ok and to be clear, this issue is not isolated to HQPlayer but uPnP/DLNA is subject as well.

This issue does not apply to all FMCs, for example: https://www.perle.com/products/10-100-1000-media-converters.shtml explicitly stars that it supports 802.3xy

On 9/8/2019 at 5:35 PM, jabbr said:

Ok and to be clear, this issue is not isolated to HQPlayer but uPnP/DLNA is subject as well.

This issue does not apply to all FMCs, for example: https://www.perle.com/products/10-100-1000-media-converters.shtml explicitly stars that it supports 802.3xy

This flow control discussions has been about NAA. 

To to be sure it needs to be tested.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:09 PM, vortecjr said:

This flow control discussions has been about NAA. 

To to be sure it needs to be tested.

Try mounting a network drive / SMB

Play a DSD256 (or 512 if you have one) directly on a Rendu without the fix — and connected to an opticalModule..

48 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Thinking more about this it could be that it uses a switch chip and really supports it or it could be that it passes the signal when the correct signal is sent upstream. So it could actually support it or it could pass it along and they call that support. The documentation would have to be very specific. Again, you would have to test it.