IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

1 hour ago, skatbelt said:

Yes, I know what fiber optic does but I don't think you got the point that I don't want a unit like the opticalModule, the EtherREGEN or any other solution within the (power)cluster behind the isolation transformer. To my understanding I can keep the EtherREGEN out of this cluster and have complete galvanic isolation. May be @Superdad can clarify this?

Your right I didn’t understand your point. Your network and all the stuff connected to it is what you can’t isolate completely with your scheme. Your network gear has some inherent galvanic isolation, but for 100% galvanic isolation from your network you need a fiber optic bridge.

12 hours ago, skatbelt said:

Yes, I know what fiber optic does but I don't think you got the point that I don't want a unit like the opticalModule, the EtherREGEN or any other solution within the (power)cluster behind the isolation transformer. To my understanding I can keep the EtherREGEN out of this cluster and have complete galvanic isolation.

The opticalModule is an FMC. Keep it outside of your isolation transformer and send the fiberoptic cable in. That way you get complete electrical isolation. That’s how I do it.

My view of the EtherRegen, but not speaking for @Superdad, it that it would be best used to accept a fiber connection from outside the isolation transformer and relay to an RJ-45 Ethernet connection also within the isolation transformer power domain.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

18 hours ago, jabbr said:

The opticalModule is an FMC. Keep it outside of your isolation transformer and send the fiberoptic cable in. That way you get complete electrical isolation. That’s how I do it.

My view of the EtherRegen, but not speaking for @Superdad, it that it would be best used to accept a fiber connection from outside the isolation transformer and relay to an RJ-45 Ethernet connection also within the isolation transformer power domain.

I'm not followng this logic. The optical signal on the opticalModule is 100% galvanically isolated. We also recommend a separate power supply for the opticalModule and linear power supplies have built in isolation via their transformers.  

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

I'm not followng this logic. The optical signal on the opticalModule is 100% galvanically isolated. We also recommend a separate power supply for the opticalModule and linear power supplies have built in isolation via their transformers.  

Transformers are used to block common mode noise (secondary neutral to ground).

Interwinding capacitance allows common mode noise to pass through, why the little tiny transformers in copper Ethernet PHY allow common mode noise into boards and out the USB and into the DAC. 

Well made networking equipment, like yours, does not need a special isolation transformer before the power supply to function, nor will it necessarily reduce jitter — at least as measured with the high end equipment. 

Your opticalModule can happily sit outside the isolation transformer and send it’s optical signal in. 

If the opticalModule sits inside the transformer, then pesky common mode noise might find its way into the audio system — you now share a ground and so the complete galvanic isolation is broken. 

The isolation transformer blocks common mode noise from your fridge  or cheap SMPS in the house etc from getting into your power supply and the good power supplies in the audio system, opticalRendu etc block differential mode noise. 

Thats the short story, ha ha ha!

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Transformers are used to block common mode noise (secondary neutral to ground).

Interwinding capacitance allows common mode noise to pass through, why the little tiny transformers in copper Ethernet PHY allow common mode noise into boards and out the USB and into the DAC. 

Well made networking equipment, like yours, does not need a special isolation transformer before the power supply to function, nor will it necessarily reduce jitter — at least as measured with the high end equipment. 

Your opticalModule can happily sit outside the isolation transformer and send it’s optical signal in. 

If the opticalModule sits inside the transformer, then pesky common mode noise might find its way into the audio system — you now share a ground and so the complete galvanic isolation is broken. 

The isolation transformer blocks common mode noise from your fridge  or cheap SMPS in the house etc from getting into your power supply and the good power supplies in the audio system, opticalRendu etc block differential mode noise. 

Thats the short story, ha ha ha!

Thanks, I was thinking about the receiving opticalModule not the transmitting opticalModule.

Also, remember the opticalModule is bi-directional and be used optical in and Ethernet out so you want a linear supply powering the receiving opticalModule. 

8 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Thanks, I was thinking about the receiving opticalModule not the transmitting opticalModule.

Also, remember the opticalModule is bi-directional and be used optical in and Ethernet out so you want a linear supply powering the receiving opticalModule. 

Ok then yes, receiving inside iso transformer power zone. That way there is still no metal penetrating the iso transformer 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  •  

Sonore opticalModule - HQPlayer - Dropouts

I have problem with dropouts when playing music via Roon and HQPlayer.

My configuration is:
- Synology Diskstation DS1512+
- Cat6
- Netgear GS608 v3 (8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch)
- Cat6
- PC (Core i7-8700 3.200Ghz, 16GB Ram) with Roon, HQPlayer (ver 4.1.0.1)
- Cat6
- TRENDnet TEG S51SFP (Switch - 4 x 10/100/1000 + 1 x Gigabit SFP) with a tp-link TL-SM311LM SFP module (LPS 5V)
- StarTech.com Multimode 62.5/125 Duplex Fiber Patch Cable LC - LC 
- Sonore opticalModule (LPS 6.8V)
- Cat6
- Sonore ultraRendu (App HQPlayer NAA)
- Curious usb cable
- Mytek Brooklyn Dac (LPS)

All has firmware upgraded to the latest.

When I connect via cat6 (bypass the Sonore opticalModule) to the Sonore ultraRendu there is no dropouts.
Also when I change to Roon Ready in Sonore ultraRendu there is no dropouts when using 
Sonore opticalModule.

Is the Sonore opticalModule not compatible with HQPlayer?

4 hours ago, sgb said:
  •  

Sonore opticalModule - HQPlayer - Dropouts

I have problem with dropouts when playing music via Roon and HQPlayer.

My configuration is:
- Synology Diskstation DS1512+
- Cat6
- Netgear GS608 v3 (8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch)
- Cat6
- PC (Core i7-8700 3.200Ghz, 16GB Ram) with Roon, HQPlayer (ver 4.1.0.1)
- Cat6
- TRENDnet TEG S51SFP (Switch - 4 x 10/100/1000 + 1 x Gigabit SFP) with a tp-link TL-SM311LM SFP module (LPS 5V)
- StarTech.com Multimode 62.5/125 Duplex Fiber Patch Cable LC - LC 
- Sonore opticalModule (LPS 6.8V)
- Cat6
- Sonore ultraRendu (App HQPlayer NAA)
- Curious usb cable
- Mytek Brooklyn Dac (LPS)

All has firmware upgraded to the latest.

When I connect via cat6 (bypass the Sonore opticalModule) to the Sonore ultraRendu there is no dropouts.
Also when I change to Roon Ready in Sonore ultraRendu there is no dropouts when using 
Sonore opticalModule.

Is the Sonore opticalModule not compatible with HQPlayer?

As a point of reference when was the last time you updated your unit?

Update the unit, reboot it, and test again in NAA output mode.

Updated and rebooted ten minutes ago. No change, lots of dropouts.

There is one thing I have to mention. If I change the Bit rate in HQPlayer to 44,1k x64 the dropouts disappear or are almost gone. When I connect direct to the ultraRendu via cat6 I can use Bitrate 44,1k x256 without dropouts. So there seems to be some limitations in the opticalModule depending on the Bitrate setting in HQPlayer.

My settings in HQPlayer:

1802562644_Settings1.JPG.fca5d1b6ba24eb32096b6ce5a28be4d5.JPG

657403027_Settings2.JPG.d6d96c7312e30b611c7dd1e115564468.JPG

9 hours ago, sgb said:

Updated and rebooted ten minutes ago. No change, lots of dropouts.

There is one thing I have to mention. If I change the Bit rate in HQPlayer to 44,1k x64 the dropouts disappear or are almost gone. When I connect direct to the ultraRendu via cat6 I can use Bitrate 44,1k x256 without dropouts. So there seems to be some limitations in the opticalModule depending on the Bitrate setting in HQPlayer.

My settings in HQPlayer:

1802562644_Settings1.JPG.fca5d1b6ba24eb32096b6ce5a28be4d5.JPG

657403027_Settings2.JPG.d6d96c7312e30b611c7dd1e115564468.JPG

Try this as a test. Place one of your switches between the opticalModule and the Rendu. 

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Try this as a test. Place one of your switches between the opticalModule and the Rendu. 

How sure are about the outcome of this test. Because, to do this test I have to buy a third switch. The Netgear GS608 v3 is located in another room and I can't move it because of the cabeling to the NAS and PC. The TRENDnet TEG S51SFP switch I can't use to connect after the opticalModule.

2 hours ago, sgb said:

How sure are about the outcome of this test. Because, to do this test I have to buy a third switch. The Netgear GS608 v3 is located in another room and I can't move it because of the cabeling to the NAS and PC. The TRENDnet TEG S51SFP switch I can't use to connect after the opticalModule.

It’s just a test. You can’t swap the position of the Trendnet and the oM?

It’s just a test. You can’t swap the position of the Trendnet and the oM?

No I can't use the same switch that output optical to the opticalModule. I tried.

But I borrowed a switch from a friend and now the dropouts are gone when I use Bitrate 44,1k x256 on the HQPlayer.

So the solution for me is to buy a switch to put between the opticalModule and the ultraRendu.

Can you explain why? Why can't the ultraRendu cope with the signal from the opticalModule without a switch between.

42 minutes ago, sgb said:

No I can't use the same switch that output optical to the opticalModule. I tried.

But I borrowed a switch from a friend and now the dropouts are gone when I use Bitrate 44,1k x256 on the HQPlayer.

So the solution for me is to buy a switch to put between the opticalModule and the ultraRendu.

Can you explain why? Why can't the ultraRendu cope with the signal from the opticalModule without a switch between.

I suppose I also need an extra LPS for the new switch between the opticalModule and the ultraRendu.

The cost starts to sum up for me for getting the opticalModule to work.

11 minutes ago, sgb said:

I suppose I also need an extra LPS for the new switch between the opticalModule and the ultraRendu.

The cost starts to sum up for me for getting the opticalModule to work.

one potential problem based on that test is that the trendnet switch could be a contributing factor (i understand everything is fine without the optical module).  for context, i got a d-link managed router/switch a few years that was SO SLOW that i couldn't use.  do you have QOS (and any other service) turned off in the trendnet?  also, have you tried using the same sfp module in both the trendnet and the opticalmodule (sometimes there are compatability issues)?

can you use you friend's switch in place of the the trendnet to further test (assuming it has an sfp slot)?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

one potential problem based on that test is that the trendnet switch could be a contributing factor (i understand everything is fine without the optical module).  for context, i got a d-link managed router/switch a few years that was SO SLOW that i couldn't use.  do you have QOS (and any other service) turned off in the trendnet?  also, have you tried using the same sfp module in both the trendnet and the opticalmodule (sometimes there are compatability issues)?

can you use you friend's switch in place of the the trendnet to further test (assuming it has an sfp slot)?

The TRENDnet TEG S51SFP is a unmanaged switch so there is nothing to turn of. It is a gigabit switch just as Sonore recommends. The SFP module is the same that Sonore and Small Green Computers sells. 

My friends switch has no SFP and works well between the opicalModule and the ultraRendu and makes the dropouts disappear.

Thanks for the suggestions.

2 minutes ago, sgb said:

The TRENDnet TEG S51SFP is a unmanaged switch so there is nothing to turn of. It is a gigabit switch just as Sonore recommends. The SFP module is the same that Sonore and Small Green Computers sells. 

My friends switch has no SFP and works well between the opicalModule and the ultraRendu and makes the dropouts disappear.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Email me [email protected] so we can work out a cleaner solution for you.

• 4 weeks later...

New review on the opticalModule and Signature Rendu SEoptical at Dagogo:

https://www.dagogo.com/audio-blast-sonore-systemoptique-signature-rendu-se/

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...

I received my optical module last week powered by SGC 5 v lps. It gets really hot. I can’t hold the unit more than a few seconds. I can’t imagine how the 7 or 9 volt power supplies could possibly get hotter than this. The led on the SGC PS reads 5 volts. Is it possible it’s actually running at 7 or 9? Or could something else be going on?

1 hour ago, lxgreen said:

I received my optical module last week powered by SGC 5 v lps. It gets really hot. I can’t hold the unit more than a few seconds. I can’t imagine how the 7 or 9 volt power supplies could possibly get hotter than this. The led on the SGC PS reads 5 volts. Is it possible it’s actually running at 7 or 9? Or could something else be going on?

The only way to know for sure is to use a voltage meter at the output? Are you using the SFP we provide?