IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

1 hour ago, barrows said:

@John769, It is on my radar to test single mode fiber at some point, but I am too busy to try it now.  If anyone is running single mode fiber cabling/SFPs with the opticalModule and/or optical/Rendu I would love to hear about it and your results.  As long as one uses 1 Gb modules it should work, but we at Sonore cannot recommend such until it is confirmed to work.

Did Chris use one in his review?

On 6/1/2019 at 11:11 PM, R1200CL said:

Normally a ethernet cable should be minimum 1 meter. But if I remember correctly, John S, made sure his OM design wouldn’t be affected by short cables. 

Maybe @JohnSwenson could kindly confirm the above?   I have a 15" Blue Jean cat 6A that I could use at the OM->endpoint, or better to go longer? 

Is it in general better to use ethernet cables with plastic connectors rather than with part metal?  I have some varying lengths of cheap Vandesail Cat 8 (black cable in picture) and not sure whether to use it upstream at the server, or even at the endpoint. Any recommendations? Thanks.

PS- Have an OM on the way.  Will probably power it initially with an old Teradak U9, outputting 1.2A at 5V, or at higher voltage along with a pair of Alexey LT3045 boards in series. 

IMG_20190715_115735.jpg

7 hours ago, John769 said:

Is it in general better to use ethernet cables with plastic connectors rather than with part metal?

YES

Unless it’s an Audioquest Vodka. Or one made by Ghentaudio. 😀

(Both with expensive German made metal plugs for excellent shielding and EMI protection. And they’re not connected to each other).

Your blue jeans is more than good enough. 

I would expect this applies to all John’s design. 

I think that Jesus needs to chime in here. There can't seriously be a requirement for me to use at least a 1 meter Ethernet cable to connect my opticalModule to my ultraRendu. @vortecjr Can we please get this cleared up in order to stop the spread of misinformation? I read the linked thread and I'm not coming to the same conclusion. I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Cheers.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

50 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

There can't seriously be a requirement for me to use at least a 1 meter Ethernet cable to connect my opticalModule to my ultraRendu.

There isn’t. We’re saying the opposite 😂

But as a general rule, it’s not a bad thing to do. But again, not with John’s design. 

33 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There is no minimum cable length according to the TIA/EIA-568 specification. Perhaps something doesn't meet the spec?

Google is our friend😀

http://forums.bicsi.org/Topic2210-4-1.aspx#bm2215

(Very old post)

Somewhere else I found this stated:

“Somebody needs to read the IEEE specification on Ethernet cables. When you run Cat 5/6 UTP the minimum is 3' (90 cm). You cannot (should not) use cables shorter than 3' (90 cm). One cable between a router and a patch panel won't likely exhibit a problem, but multiple will. The specification is clear. No shorter than 3' (90 cm) or you're out of specification.”

(and we’re not between a router and a patch panel)😀

And another place this is said:

“Although there is no minimum cable length specification for 1000baseT, any cable still has to meet various requirements like Return Loss, Near End Crosstalk, and the other specifications set forth in the IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T standard, and if the cable is too short there is a possibility that it might not meet some of these requirements.

So essentially, it's not so much the cable length that matters, as it is making sure that the patch cable is certified to meet the standard.”

But now we’re getting OT. 

So let’s be happy with whatever length we have 

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Google is our friend😀

http://forums.bicsi.org/Topic2210-4-1.aspx#bm2215

(Very old post)

Somewhere else I found this stated:

“Somebody needs to read the IEEE specification on Ethernet cables. When you run Cat 5/6 UTP the minimum is 3' (90 cm). You cannot (should not) use cables shorter than 3' (90 cm). One cable between a router and a patch panel won't likely exhibit a problem, but multiple will. The specification is clear. No shorter than 3' (90 cm) or you're out of specification.”

(and we’re not between a router and a patch panel)😀

And another place this is said:

“Although there is no minimum cable length specification for 1000baseT, any cable still has to meet various requirements like Return Loss, Near End Crosstalk, and the other specifications set forth in the IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T standard, and if the cable is too short there is a possibility that it might not meet some of these requirements.

So essentially, it's not so much the cable length that matters, as it is making sure that the patch cable is certified to meet the standard.”

But now we’re getting OT. 

So let’s be happy with whatever length we have 

I’m not convinced by that forum post. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 7/16/2019 at 7:44 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m not convinced by that forum post. 

That's a Fluke engineer though... I think companies like Blue Jeans Cable and others use Fluke gear to test/certify ethernet cables.... It's 11 years old but I wonder how much has changed (in the standards).

But not relevant for Sonore products as John has clarified just above.

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

This is a great example of how research and development makes its way into the products we produce.

And when can we expect a new, or an upgraded product from Sonore based on John’s design ? (Leave out the forthcoming Optical SonicTransporter, which is a SGC product). 

What more can be invented ?

And will you allow for a wishlist tread ?

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

And when can we expect a new, or an upgraded product from Sonore based on John’s design ? (Leave out the forthcoming Optical SonicTransporter, which is a SGC product). 

What more can be invented ?

And will you allow for a wishlist tread ?

No need because that technology is already incorporated. 

The OEM opticalModule board for the sonicTransporter series is in production. No ETA on availability.

Wishlist threads usually end up bad because people take it personally when our ideas don’t coincide with theirs. We keep a watchful eye on trends, but we also have our vision which we need to follow. 

I need to know two things that don't seem to be available on the Sonore Website,

1. What is the plugging termination on the cable and SFP transceiver?

2. What is the transmission wavelength of the Sonore SFP transceiver available for purchase?

I can see that my first question was answered here on the first page by the OP. That is, LC-LC. So can this be on the website?

The second question needs an answer as I have not found one in my searching of this topic. I saw where somebody told a questioner to simply buy two SFP transceivers but this can be fraught with failure to communicate where some network switches need a proprietary SFP transceiver so the only way to connect is to know what the wavelength used is.

Can this also be put on the Sonore website?

APOLOGIES: I found both my answers on the website under systemOptique and not the devices. Sorry for troubling everyone.

Regards

GG

5 hours ago, Albrecht said:

NICE!

Love your stand. Are those rubber bands as shock absorbers or are they cable ties as seat belts?

Thanks! The rubber bands around the OM came in the box from Sonore. I guess their purpose is to avoid scratching on any surface. The ties, as you guessed, are there to keep both units attached to the card holder. 

JoseL

9 hours ago, JoseL said:

Thanks! The rubber bands around the OM came in the box from Sonore. I guess their purpose is to avoid scratching on any surface. The ties, as you guessed, are there to keep both units attached to the card holder. 

The black rubber bands are an alternative to the small rubber feet we provide with the microRendu. 

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I’m not sure how much more isolation you can get:) The opticalModule has one bi-directional input/output. 

I have my audio components (streamer/DAC/(pre)amp) on a dedicated power line and behind an isolation transformer and I want to keep everything else out of this cluster in electrical/noise injecting terms. My understanding is that this can be done with the EtherREGEN but not with the opticalModule.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

45 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

I have my audio components (streamer/DAC/(pre)amp) on a dedicated power line and behind an isolation transformer and I want to keep everything else out of this cluster in electrical/noise injecting terms. My understanding is that this can be done with the EtherREGEN but not with the opticalModule.

Fiber optic networking gives you 100% galvanic isolation from your network. Connect fiber optic to the opticalModule and connect the RJ-45 end to your streamer. 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Fiber optic networking gives you 100% galvanic isolation from your network. Connect fiber optic to the opticalModule and connect the RJ-45 end to your streamer. 

Yes, I know what fiber optic does but I don't think you got the point that I don't want a unit like the opticalModule, the EtherREGEN or any other solution within the (power)cluster behind the isolation transformer. To my understanding I can keep the EtherREGEN out of this cluster and have complete galvanic isolation. May be @Superdad can clarify this?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz