IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

9 hours ago, Dasign said:

Hi Jesus, I just did that a few days ago.

My original setup was:

Asus router - Furutech Ethernet cable - UltraRendu/Lps 1.2

My new setup is:

Asus router - Furutech Ethernet cable - Trendnet/SFP transceiver - fiber cable - OpticalModule/HDPlex 400W - Furutech Ethernet cable - UltraRendu/Lps 1.2.

This is one of the greatest sound upgrade in my audio system. For those of you who are waiting on the sidelines, please don’t wait anymore...I just could not believe the amount of noise coming from my local cable network prior to the installation of the OM. These are the sound improvements I noticed, once I purchased the OM:

- Noiseless background (very scary in fact)

- Subterranean bass 

- Voices, violins and cymbals now sound much more realistic

- Increase in low level details

- Focused sound timing (think about bringing a camera into focus)

I was listening to a techno-lounge album ‘Venq Tolep’ by Robag Wrhume on Tidal, which is well recorded. I was listening to it while reading an article, when heard like a cowbell sound that scared me to death, since it was sounding so real and unexpected, coming from that track ‘loungy/downtempo’ musical line.

Another example is Massive Attack’s ‘Mezzanine’ album, which has incredible electronic bass recorded into it. Once you start playing this album is like directly hearing the master tape. Assuming that you are listening to a relatively well recorded album, everything you will hear will sound more analog-like, with digital harshness now greatly diminished.

I’ve purchased a lot of gear since started to surf on the CA web site a few years ago (USB Regen, SotM PS, HDPlex PS, MicroRendu/UltraRendu, etc.). The OpticalModule upgrade is better than following upgrades I performed:

- Installing USB Regen (no longer in the circuit)

- Moving from Micro to UltraRendu

- Moving from LPS 1 to LPS 1.2 PS

- Powering my PC with an HDPlex ATX400W (no longer in the system with URendu purchase)

My next upgrade steps is to dedicate PS for each device upstream and downstream of the fiber connection and finally purchase the OpticalRendu device.

Ok, enough said, time to go listening to some music!

What furutech ethernet cable are you using?  Could you kindly provide a link to it, if possible?  Thanks.

7 hours ago, sahmen said:

What furutech ethernet cable are you using?  Could you kindly provide a link to it, if possible?  Thanks.

I am using Furutech LAN 7 cable http://www.furutech.com/2015/12/01/12211/

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

Hi guys, 

I am interested in purchasing the optical module but not sure how to incorporate into my sotm sms 200 setup. Do I need 2 optical modules so that at least one end outputs an ethernet cable to plug into my sms200 or is there another way?  At the moment an ethernet cable provides the signal into my sms200. 

I  am hoping I don't need to purchase 2 units as $799 converted to aud these days is substantial. 

19 minutes ago, lyndonlim said:

Hi guys, 

I am interested in purchasing the optical module but not sure how to incorporate into my sotm sms 200 setup. Do I need 2 optical modules so that at least one end outputs an ethernet cable to plug into my sms200 or is there another way?  At the moment an ethernet cable provides the signal into my sms200. 

I  am hoping I don't need to purchase 2 units as $799 converted to aud these days is substantial. 

If Amazon delivers today what they were supposed to yesterday, I can test what it sounds like going straight ethernet into and out of the opticalModule. Also the difference between having oM>oM vs cheap FMC>oM. So hang in there. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

40 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

If Amazon delivers today what they were supposed to yesterday, I can test what it sounds like going straight ethernet into and out of the opticalModule. Also the difference between having oM>oM vs cheap FMC>oM. So hang in there. 

Thanks! BTW, I would connect the SFP side to the router or switch and the RJ-45 side to the Rendu. 

47 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Thanks! BTW, I would connect the SFP side to the router or switch and the RJ-45 side to the Rendu. 

Yep, makes most sense. Looks like the other oM is arriving today, not Monday.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

9 hours ago, Dasign said:

I am using Furutech LAN 7 cable http://www.furutech.com/2015/12/01/12211/

Thanks for the link.  I'll trying replacing the RJ45 cable between the opticalmodule and ultrarendu with one of these furutech cables, just to  see what the results are.  Still, I am wondering how important I should consider the RJ45 cable between the Router and the Opticalmodule and the first FMC module (if there are two of them in the chain) in defining the sound quality in such a chain...?

Any ideas about that?  I notice, for example, that you have 2 of these furutech cables in your chain, one deployed between the router and Trendnet/SFP transceiver and the other between the optical module and the ultrarendu.  Do you think the ethernet cable coming before the Trendnet/SFP transceiver is as important in defining the final sonic outcome of your chain, as the 2nd cable that is connected to the Ultrarendu?  I am asking because I would like to avoid replacing the cable connecting my router to the first FMC transceiver in my chain if possible (it is too long as it stands now, given the requirements of the layout of my equipment in my room, and will therefore be quite expensive to replace. The distance between my opticalmodule and my rendu is extremely short, and very manageable, in comparison)

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

+1... I'd be interested in knowing the outcomes of these experiments too.  

2 hours ago, sahmen said:

Thanks for the link.  I'll trying replacing the RJ45 cable between the opticalmodule and ultrarendu with one of these furutech cables, just to  see what the results are.  Still, I am wondering how important I should consider the RJ45 cable between the Router and the Opticalmodule and the first FMC module (if there are two of them in the chain) in defining the sound quality in such a chain...?

Any ideas about that?  I notice, for example, that you have 2 of these furutech cables in your chain, one deployed between the router and Trendnet/SFP transceiver and the other between the optical module and the ultrarendu.  Do you think the ethernet cable coming before the Trendnet/SFP transceiver is as important in defining the final sonic outcome of your chain, as the 2nd cable that is connected to the Ultrarendu?  I am asking because I would like to avoid replacing the cable connecting my router to the first FMC transceiver in my chain if possible (it is too long as it stands now, given the requirements of the layout of my equipment in my room, and will therefore be quite expensive to replace. The distance between my opticalmodule and my rendu is extremely short, and very manageable, in comparison)

Sahmen, both Ethernet cables are as important to extract the best sound quality. I just performed a test replacing one Furutech cable at a time, playing 'It must be Spring' from Tierney Sutton's 'Paris Sessions' album available on Tidal. It is an extremely well recoreded jazz vocal album featuring some acoustic guitar. On this track, the acoustic guitar note plucking loses its dynamics, when playing through run-of-the-mill ethernet cable and also notice the loss of ambiant cues. Female voices are a little more digital sounding or screachy. I had exactly the same results with 2 different cheap Ethernet cables, either upstream or downstream of the optical link. 

I would suggest you replace the shorter Ethernet cable first by a Furutech Cat 7and when funds permit, replace the longer length. Replacing both cables with the Furutech's will provide beneficial cumulative results (at least it does in my system).

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

OpticalModule to opticalModule quick take vs TP Link to oM quick take: one oM brings it, two refine it. I wouldn't say there's any more clarity or detail, but it sounds more natural still, bass is more controlled, sibilance all but vanished. I would say if on a budget one oM and budget FMC or switch is amazing, two is icing, or oM to oR. First oM powered by ground shunted 5v iFi in the server closet, second before the microRendu with a ground shunted HDPLEX at 5v. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

OpticalModule to opticalModule quick take vs TP Link to oM quick take: one oM brings it, two refine it. I wouldn't say there's any more clarity or detail, but it sounds more natural still, bass is more controlled, sibilance all but vanished. I would say if on a budget one oM and budget FMC or switch is amazing, two is icing, or oM to oR. First oM powered by ground shunted 5v iFi in the server closet, second before the microRendu with a ground shunted HDPLEX at 5v. 

Are you able to perform the test I asked about?

4 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Oh, I wanted to know how your Ghent Audio  ethernet cable (JSSG Cat 6a) stacks up against generic ones, in your view, that is, if you in fact see any noticeable differences in performance? 

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Are you able to perform the test I asked about?

Yep, and it was a bust. Couldn't get it to link up with internet. Doesn't mean there isn't a module mismatch, or something going on with my network, but tried in a couple of places with different cables and no go no matter what I tried. So that SFP goes back to Amazon, no big deal. 

A couple of other observations: I actually had the oMafter the switch powered with a 9V iFi thinking it was a 5v, and it got really pretty hot. Switched to a 5V iFi and it runs a lot cooler. No idea if it changes the sound. With the addition of oM to oM, the overall volume seems louder, or at least my perception of the music is louder. Which is great considering my amp is 35W so won't have to work as hard - or my poor ears! 

Just for proof of concept I did run my now left over TP Link MC220L with ethernet into the SFP RJ45 transceiver, and out to my Unitiqute in the office. It sounded good, but bit hard and fatiguing. I preferred the sound of the full MC100CM optical bridge I've had, though I'm sure a final oM would be better but not ready to go more than two at this point! 

On 6/15/2019 at 9:09 AM, lyndonlim said:

Hi guys, 

You are going to need to opticalModules and power supplies to isolate that unit properly.

9 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Yep, and it was a bust. Couldn't get it to link up with internet. Doesn't mean there isn't a module mismatch, or something going on with my network, but tried in a couple of places with different cables and no go no matter what I tried. So that SFP goes back to Amazon, no big deal. 

A couple of other observations: I actually had the oMafter the switch powered with a 9V iFi thinking it was a 5v, and it got really pretty hot. Switched to a 5V iFi and it runs a lot cooler. No idea if it changes the sound. With the addition of oM to oM, the overall volume seems louder, or at least my perception of the music is louder. Which is great considering my amp is 35W so won't have to work as hard - or my poor ears! 

I think my VP has one that works. I'll coordinate with him this week and let you know. 

3 hours ago, CJH said:

Would like to try an oM but I have never been able to get my uRendu to work with anything except 10/100 (FS-105). I have three 10/100/1000 switches and my uR will not work with them.

CJH

It's worth a try...the opticalModule works fine with the ultraRendu. 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, sahmen said:

Can’t you just use a short Furutech Ethernet cable length between your router and FMC transceiver and just purchase a longer length of fiber to make up the distance to the OpticalModule? I would think this would be more cost efficient.

16 minutes ago, Dasign said:

Can’t you just use a short Furutech Ethernet cable length between your router and FMC transceiver and just purchase a longer length of fiber to make up the distance to the OpticalModule? I would think this would be more cost efficient.

Yes of course, that is also possible, except that I only learnt about it this morning by reading one of the posts of Barrows or Jesus. Until I did, I was inadvertently assuming that long runs of fiber cable were not advisable (perhaps because they uniformly recommend customized 1.0m versions for the fiber cabe for the OpticalRendu and the optical Module)... I am happy to learn that I can use longer runs.

1 hour ago, sahmen said:

Yes of course, that is also possible, except that I only learnt about it this morning by reading one of the posts of Barrows or Jesus. Until I did, I was inadvertently assuming that long runs of fiber cable were not advisable (perhaps because they uniformly recommend customized 1.0m versions for the fiber cabe for the OpticalRendu and the optical Module)... I am happy to learn that I can use longer runs.

Sorry for the confusion. There are no hard set rules here. We are providing 1M  optical cables to get people started and because we know not everyone will install optical home runs back to the optical source. No worries do what you can.  

On 6/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, vortecjr said:

Call for testers

Is anyone interested in testing the following connection scheme and providing feedback here on CA?

Router - cable Ethernet - microRendu or ultraRendu   

versus

Router - cable Ethernet - opticalModule with linear supply - cable Ethernet - microRendu or ultraRendu

You will need a gigabit only RJ-45 SFP transceiver

https://amzn.to/2XbBAJA

In a couple days I will be home (MXP>FRA>YVR>PDX) and able to A:B

Router - cable Ethernet - ultraRendu (- ultra Digital - I2S/PS DSDAC Sr )

vs

Router - cable Ethernet - opticalModule (×2 )with linear supply (Jameco starters for now..) - cable Ethernet - ultraRendu (- uD- I2S)

If you have an extra Gigabit FMC lying around like I ended up with (unfortunately box thrown away so non-returnable) and an RJ45 SFB transceiver then you may want to try this: I added mine with just the stock wall wart between the Cat 6 ethernet run (35-50 ft, much of it just extra) from the Airport (which only has a modem preceding it) to the MC220L, and then a short RJ45 patch from there to the switch. I'm not making any pronouncements other than it's staying, and when I do the power supply shuffle it'll end up with an iFi on it. If you have two and access to separate circuits to plug them into, this might be a spot to do another full optical bridge. Isolate that noisy router and modem. My Asus modem and Airport extreme are separate and plugged into a different circuit from everything else, audio or server. 

It's the middle of the day, kid home from school,   etc so it's hard to make any real judgements as to the change in sound. It's small and subtle small, but like a lot of these network changes mostly in the bass region. No extra detail or clarity, just more relaxation but with control, all that closer to analog for lack of a better way to describe it. And still more decibels, or at least it seems I can turn it down a notch or two more still. The optical modules have made for better low volume listening imo, which I do a lot of (really can't stand headphones except for plane rides and movies when family is in bed).