IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

Call for testers

Is anyone interested in testing the following connection scheme and providing feedback here on CA?

Router - cable Ethernet - microRendu or ultraRendu   

versus

Router - cable Ethernet - opticalModule with linear supply - cable Ethernet - microRendu or ultraRendu

You will need a gigabit only RJ-45 SFP transceiver

https://amzn.to/2XbBAJA

9 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

I replaced mine today from a basic Teragrand Cat 7 shielded patch cable to a Meicord Cat 6 unshielded and it seemed a bit more relaxed

I concur with your observations on the sound signature for the Meicord cables. At first, I thought I’d gone crazy, but their UTP type cables do seem to have a warmer sound.

17 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Call for testers

Is anyone interested in testing the following connection scheme and providing feedback here on CA?

versus

Router - cable Ethernet - opticalModule with linear supply - cable Ethernet - microRendu or ultraRendu

I am up for it if you want a view from across the pond......(UK)

i am running an ultraRendu/LPS1.2 with cat6 from a netgear G105.

18 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

How is that possible with:

A single opticalModule has only 1 ethernet port....?

10 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Call for testers

versus

Hi Jesus, I just did that a few days ago.

My original setup was:

Asus router - Furutech Ethernet cable - UltraRendu/Lps 1.2

My new setup is:

Asus router - Furutech Ethernet cable - Trendnet/SFP transceiver - fiber cable - OpticalModule/HDPlex 400W - Furutech Ethernet cable - UltraRendu/Lps 1.2.

This is one of the greatest sound upgrade in my audio system. For those of you who are waiting on the sidelines, please don’t wait anymore...I just could not believe the amount of noise coming from my local cable network prior to the installation of the OM. These are the sound improvements I noticed, once I purchased the OM:

- Noiseless background (very scary in fact)

- Subterranean bass 

- Voices, violins and cymbals now sound much more realistic

- Increase in low level details

- Focused sound timing (think about bringing a camera into focus)

I was listening to a techno-lounge album ‘Venq Tolep’ by Robag Wrhume on Tidal, which is well recorded. I was listening to it while reading an article, when heard like a cowbell sound that scared me to death, since it was sounding so real and unexpected, coming from that track ‘loungy/downtempo’ musical line.

Another example is Massive Attack’s ‘Mezzanine’ album, which has incredible electronic bass recorded into it. Once you start playing this album is like directly hearing the master tape. Assuming that you are listening to a relatively well recorded album, everything you will hear will sound more analog-like, with digital harshness now greatly diminished.

I’ve purchased a lot of gear since started to surf on the CA web site a few years ago (USB Regen, SotM PS, HDPlex PS, MicroRendu/UltraRendu, etc.). The OpticalModule upgrade is better than following upgrades I performed:

- Installing USB Regen (no longer in the circuit)

- Moving from Micro to UltraRendu

- Moving from LPS 1 to LPS 1.2 PS

- Powering my PC with an HDPlex ATX400W (no longer in the system with URendu purchase)

My next upgrade steps is to dedicate PS for each device upstream and downstream of the fiber connection and finally purchase the OpticalRendu device.

Ok, enough said, time to go listening to some music!

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

@Dasign interesting report. Recently I added an ISO Regen + LPS-1 after the ultraRendu and it did improve some. I recommend you try it too.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

26 minutes ago, Dasign said:

My original setup was:

My new setup is:

Asus router - Furutech Ethernet cable - Trendnet/SFP transceiver - fiber cable - OpticalModule/HDPlex 400W - Furutech Ethernet cable - UltraRendu/Lps 1.2.

Hi Dasign

Your setup is different to what JR is asking to be tested.

In his requested test, you will see there's no fiber cable. Only the SFP to RJ45 module and only RJ45 ethernet cables involved.

25 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Is the RJ-45 port optically isolated inside this transceiver?

@JohnSwenson

No it is not. In fact the RJ-45 SFP is a rather complex device compared to a optical SFP. This is why I'm curious what you guys think using it this way. Installation wise its simpler and less first cost so it might make sense for some.

32 minutes ago, Dasign said:

My original setup was:

My new setup is:

This is one of the greatest sound upgrade in my audio system. For those of you who are waiting on the sidelines, please don’t wait anymore...I just could not believe the amount of noise coming from my local cable network prior to the installation of the OM. These are the sound improvements I noticed, once I purchased the OM:

- Noiseless background (very scary in fact)

- Subterranean bass 

- Voices, violins and cymbals now sound much more realistic

- Increase in low level details

- Focused sound timing (think about bringing a camera into focus)

I was listening to a techno-lounge album ‘Venq Tolep’ by Robag Wrhume on Tidal, which is well recorded. I was listening to it while reading an article, when heard like a cowbell sound that scared me to death, since it was sounding so real and unexpected, coming from that track ‘loungy/downtempo’ musical line.

Another example is Massive Attack’s ‘Mezzanine’ album, which has incredible electronic bass recorded into it. Once you start playing this album is like directly hearing the master tape. Assuming that you are listening to a relatively well recorded album, everything you will hear will sound more analog-like, with digital harshness now greatly diminished.

I’ve purchased a lot of gear since started to surf on the CA web site a few years ago (USB Regen, SotM PS, HDPlex PS, MicroRendu/UltraRendu, etc.). The OpticalModule upgrade is better than following upgrades I performed:

- Installing USB Regen (no longer in the circuit)

- Moving from Micro to UltraRendu

- Moving from LPS 1 to LPS 1.2 PS

- Powering my PC with an HDPlex ATX400W (no longer in the system with URendu purchase)

My next upgrade steps is to dedicate PS for each device upstream and downstream of the fiber connection and finally purchase the OpticalRendu device.

Ok, enough said, time to go listening to some music!

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Dasign

Your setup is different to what JR is asking to be tested.

In his requested test, you will see there's no fiber cable. Only the SFP to RJ45 module and only RJ45 ethernet cables involved.

Oupsss! Should have read the description of the SFP/RJ45 description on the Amazon site...Sorry...

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I'll have one here by end of the day and will let you know my thoughts - could have some potential, esp with my office set up, and if it doesn't, easy to return. My second optical module will be here Monday, so won't be able to compare oM to oM quite yet. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

16 hours ago, barrows said:

@cat6man, great to hear that you had such a nice improvement.  Here, adding the oM to my set up with the Signature Rendu SEoptical only resulted in a small increase in what I would call "purity".  Previously I was using a cheap FMC, but powered it with a very, very good ultra low noise ultra low impedance linear supply.

It is clear now from reports, that everyone's results will vary a bit, due to Network configurations.

@barrows

how about downgrading your system for a quick test?

can you put the SFP directly into your router and remove your FMC/oM?

i'm curious if you'd also notice a big difference :)

basically wondering if SFP in router might be a "don't go down that road if you don't have to"  recommendation

16 minutes ago, cat6man said:

@barrows

how about downgrading your system for a quick test?

can you put the SFP directly into your router and remove your FMC/oM?

i'm curious if you'd also notice a big difference :)

basically wondering if SFP in router might be a "don't go down that road if you don't have to"  recommendation

I do not have an SFP cage in my Router, and really not a lot of time here for testing right now.  I am thinking there seems to be enough evidence to suggest that having the optical conversions done in simpler environment (FMC vs. Router) might be an advantage, but it probably all depends on the models of everything as well.  When I do simple RF measurements, my Router makes a lot more noise than the little cheap FMC, and of course uses way less power (a good indicator also of less noise).

Of course then there is the test of trying on optical NIC inside a computer for testing the direct approach as well...  I would like to try that sometime with a really well designed NIC powered by a dedicated ultra low noise, ultra low impedance linear supply.  the very, very good supply on the FMC was a nice improvement here.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, lestes said:

Has anyone noticed if the Optical Module changes over time?  Mine has only been running for 12 hours and I am curious if it will yield different sound signature over time.

I’m probably at about 72 hours but I don’t really keep track of these things. Probably a bit more relaxed but it might also be a matter of my ears/mind getting used to more detail as well. Like I said, I don’t really see it as having any ‘signature’ at all, and more like a sharpening filter in Photoshop vs a color or density change. More sharpness will also make the image appear punchier despite not doing anything to the contrast. Once it gets here, it’ll also be interesting to see what a dc cable change does, as well as a second upstream opticalModule. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.