IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

Wow, these opticalModules run very hot with a 9v power supply. I'm running the upstream unit with an iFi iPower 9v supply and the downstream one with a 9v SBooster.  Is this going to be a problem? My old Krell amps gave off less heat than these things!

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

I had the same issue - @JohnSwensonsays it's okay but I switched to a 5v supply which runs cool. 

Thanks for your response. I'm just not comfortable with things running this hot, doesn't seem right. The unit with the iFi iPower is so hot I can't keep my fingers on it for more than a few seconds. I've ordered a 5v iPower as a replacement. The 9v SBooster was originally purchased for my ultraRendu but that ran very hot and I switched to a Channel Island 7v. Funny thing is that my ultraDigital runs cool with a 9v SBooster, the uR did not.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I think that Jesus needs to chime in here. There can't seriously be a requirement for me to use at least a 1 meter Ethernet cable to connect my opticalModule to my ultraRendu. @vortecjr Can we please get this cleared up in order to stop the spread of misinformation? I read the linked thread and I'm not coming to the same conclusion. I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Cheers.

Did you try setting the MC200CM switch to Auto instead of Force? I replaced two MC200CM's with two oM's feeding my uR and everything worked and sounded great. John is probably correct that the two different units are not compatible. Try a second oM, you have 30 days to return it. The oM really is a better unit than the TP-Link one.

• 2 months later...

I've noticed that when using Roon the orange light on my two opticalModules stays on continuously, even when playing 16/44 files. I have two other renderers here and when streaming to each, the orange light flashes. Any idea why I'm seeing this and does it mean anything as far as RAAT goes? I ask because I am still trying to determine why Roon sounds so bad in my set up, wondering if RAAT is overloading something in my network.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The Green light needs to be on as well. I’m currently showing my father-in-law how to use a system I set up for him streaming via Shairport and the orange light stays on as well. 

Yes, one light is always on, looks more yellow than green to me. The orange light is the one that usually flashes on & off. I don’t think anything is wrong with oM units, just different behavior with Roon. I guess there is nothing sinister going on with RAAT. Thanks for responses.