IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

On 5/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, thuandb said:

Thanks for the info.  I've tried both (Sonore's multi mode transceivers/cable and Planet-USA single mode transceivers/matching cable) and like both with the same LPSUs feeding the OMs.  Ultimately preferred the single mode gear, but the multi mode combo is pretty good anyway.

Hi folks...

I have an ultraRendu and an OM feeding it. Picked up a new Cisco 2960C LL switch with 2 SFP slots. (Wanted to replace my TP-Link FMC at the switch).

Just an FYI for those running Cisco switches, - they really like to see Cisco SFPs in their transceiver slots. I picked up a Sonore gigabit Transceiver and it didn't work in the Cisco. (Although it is my understanding that one can get into the Cisco management app/console and install a non-Cisco SFP). Anyway,- after buying a cheap, used, Cisco branded SFP, - I connected fine to my OM on the audio rack. (GLC brand SFPs, OEM Cisco, - work fine also).

Please do not take my post as advocating that anyone not follow System Optique comprehensive fiber system, or that System Optique is not super cool! OR that Sonore somehow doesn't rock the party, - because Sonore certainly rocks the party!!

Cheers,

11 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hi folks...

I have an ultraRendu and an OM feeding it. Picked up a new Cisco 2960C LL switch with 2 SFP slots. (Wanted to replace my TP-Link FMC at the switch).

Just an FYI for those running Cisco switches, - they really like to see Cisco SFPs in their transceiver slots. I picked up a Sonore gigabit Transceiver and it didn't work in the Cisco. (Although it is my understanding that one can get into the Cisco management app/console and install a non-Cisco SFP). Anyway,- after buying a cheap, used, Cisco branded SFP, - I connected fine to my OM on the audio rack. (GLC brand SFPs, OEM Cisco, - work fine also).

Please do not take my post as advocating that anyone not follow System Optique comprehensive fiber system, or that System Optique is not super cool! OR that Sonore somehow doesn't rock the party, - because Sonore certainly rocks the party!!

Cheers,

Thanks and enjoy!

Would a Welborne Labs 5v linear power supply (originally for the Logitech Touch) power the opticalModule?  Doesn't seem the company is in business, so can't find more information beyond the 5v.   Since I have the LPS, and my JS-2 will power an external clock for the eR, thought I would give it a try.

Thanks.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

15 minutes ago, PYP said:

Would a Welborne Labs 5v linear power supply (originally for the Logitech Touch) power the opticalModule?  Doesn't seem the company is in business, so can't find more information beyond the 5v.   Since I have the LPS, and my JS-2 will power an external clock for the eR, thought I would give it a try.

Thanks.  

You need a 5 VDC, power supply capable of 1A output.  If you do not know the current capability, then you do not know if the supply will be able to do the job or not.  In typical use the oM will likely only draw 500-600 mA, but it will require more at boot up, and with higher sample rates.  The 1A rating is recommended in order to be sure to have enough current overhead to accommodate boot up, and to allow for some current headroom as most power supplies will perform best when not run right at their current limits.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

18 minutes ago, barrows said:

You need a 5 VDC, power supply capable of 1A output.  If you do not know the current capability, then you do not know if the supply will be able to do the job or not.  In typical use the oM will likely only draw 500-600 mA, but it will require more at boot up, and with higher sample rates.  The 1A rating is recommended in order to be sure to have enough current overhead to accommodate boot up, and to allow for some current headroom as most power supplies will perform best when not run right at their current limits.

Thank you.  Would I damage anything if it isn't up to the the job?  

An alternative would be an iFi 5v SMPS.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, PYP said:

Thank you.  Would I damage anything if it isn't up to the the job?  

An alternative would be an iFi 5v SMPS.  

No,  it won't damage it. It just won't work if underpowered. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
11 hours ago, barrows said:

You need a 5 VDC, power supply capable of 1A output.  If you do not know the current capability, then you do not know if the supply will be able to do the job or not.  

Ordered a Sonore 5 VDC power supply -- the one specifically for the oM.  Problem solved.  Thanks.  

28 minutes ago, PYP said:

Ordered a Sonore 5 VDC power supply -- the one specifically for the oM.  Problem solved.  Thanks.  

Cool, that will definitely yield the best performance possible!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

24 minutes ago, barrows said:

Cool, that will definitely yield the best performance possible!

Hey Barrows,

Long time. Hope you're well dude.

Just bought an OM but yet to add into my system as been a busy couple weeks. Plan to try it out tomorrow.

The above comment catches my eye. Is that best performance based on the options the Op you were responding to was looking at? Or best period?

I have a spare LPS-1 which is earmarked for OM duties. But I have an SR4T on order which will hopefully displace the LPS-1.2 on my ER and potentially free it up for OM duties. Hence my interest in your comment. Without asking you to say anything too controversial just wondering if there is a particular synergy between your PSU and the OM?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

@BigAlMc I went from an LPS-1 on my oM bridge, the one right before my microRendu to a LPS-1.2 and it is better (LPS-1 burnt out so got a deal on a 1.2 vs trying to repair it under warranty, other oM in the server closet just powered by an iFi currently). The Sonore Power supply is very good on my mR 1.4 but might be overkill for the oM and it's place in the chain. I think your plan is a good one. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

16 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Why ? And especially the oM. 

Let's not go there please. 9_9

It mostly stems from ASR's review of the microRendu with the LPS-1 wherein leakage was seen due to use of the un-ground-shunted Mean Well.

Which of course was publicly litigated, dealt with, and discussed at length here at AS/CA. The UltraCap LPS-1.2 of course comes with an UpTone-branded, internally ground-shunted charger--which we have for several years offered to original LPS-1 owners, with full explanation and links here:

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt

Sonore themselves sold 50 original UltraCap LPS-1 units as part of a Black Friday bundle back in 2016.

There are still hundreds of microRendu and ultraRendu users happily powering their fine streamers with original LPS-1 power supplies. B|

4 hours ago, barrows said:

@BigAlMc, First, the LPS-1 is not recommended to power any Sonore products.  There are reports of folks having good results with the LPS 1.2 powering the oM.

As to the Sonore Power Supply, 5 VDC version, this was specifically developed to power the oM.  From a technical standpoint, and for the exact requirements of the oM, I doubt that it would be possible to improve on the performance of the oM powered by the Sonore Power Supply with any other power supply, one might be able to equal it with something else, but it just does not get better than what the Sonore Power Supply can do in this application. 

The low road.

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Let's not go there please. 9_9

It mostly stems from ASR's review of the microRendu with the LPS-1 wherein leakage was seen due to use of the un-ground-shunted Mean Well.

Which of course was publicly litigated, dealt with, and discussed at length here at AS/CA. The UltraCap LPS-1.2 of course comes with an UpTone-branded, internally ground-shunted charger--which we have for several years offered to original LPS-1 owners, with full explanation and links here:

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt

Sonore themselves sold 50 original UltraCap LPS-1 units as part of a Black Friday bundle back in 2016.

There are still hundreds of microRendu and ultraRendu users happily powering their fine streamers with original LPS-1 power supplies. B|

The high road.

11 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Without asking you to say anything too controversial just wondering if there is a particular synergy between your PSU and the OM?

I'm going to do something unusual and quote myself.

I was being careful not to provoke a bunfight.

Barrows - appreciate your reply but I'm not sure I see a particular synergy.

Alex - likewise I appreciate your balanced response.

End of the day I expect the OM to be feeding either my ER or the switch before my ER so not gonna lose too much sleep over the OM's PSU. But food for thought all the same.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

5 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

End of the day I expect the OM to be feeding either my ER or the switch before my ER so not gonna lose too much sleep over the OM's PSU. But food for thought all the same.

I have no doubt either Barrow’s or Alex’s power supplies will bring goodness from the OM.  I just struggle with spending more on the power supply than on the component it’s powering.  So at moment it’s a cheap linear supply from China plus a single stage DXP regulator.  I’ve been keeping an eye out though for a good supply to turn up used.  A better power supply made a tremendous difference with the ER, so I’m guessing the OM would respond well too.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I have no doubt either Barrow’s or Alex’s power supplies will bring goodness from the OM.  I just struggle with spending more on the power supply than on the component it’s powering.  So at moment it’s a cheap linear supply from China plus a single stage DXP regulator.  I’ve been keeping an eye out though for a good supply to turn up used.  A better power supply made a tremendous difference with the ER, so I’m guessing the OM would respond well too.

Hey Ken,

Yeah, I hear you there.

I appreciate what Barrows said but end of the day I have a spare LPS-1 today and the LPS-1.2 should be freed up later this month. Pretty hard to justify ordering another PSU in these circumstances.

Cheers,

Alan

The plot thickens.

LPS-1 experiment failed 😢

At 7V the OM green light comes on but starts flashing after perhaps 10 seconds. Rapid flashing. Not sure what that means but assume it's not good.

Set the LPS-1 to 5V but either the OM light doesn't come on at all or it comes on and goes off within 5 seconds

Thought it was perhaps the energiser for the LPS-1 so instead plugged a Paul Hynes SR3 into the LPS-1 but same result.

Remember I've got an SOTM SPS-500 that's kinda listed for sale as an optional extra with my TX-USBUltra that I'm trying to sell. Plug it into the OM at 7V and bingo. Green light goodness on the OM.

Did some A-B-ing to compare Ethernet vs Fibre into the ER and the Fibre sounds a bit crisper. Not entirely sure I think it's better. But crisper seems a good description. Think there is a slight harshness that wasn't there before tho. Giving it some time to burn in but think I like it already.

Have a dilemma on my hands if the TX goes and the buyer wants the SPS-500 as well. Never really rated the SPS-500 to be honest. But it saved the day today 😆

Cheers,

Alan

This is very odd, I had no problem powering a pair of oMs with a single LPS-1.

Are you referring to the green power LED or the green Ethernet activity LED on the port?

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
7 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Yes, sounds sensible at first.  The technical point of view for suggesting that the best power supply possible for the oM will make a difference is based on the theory that achieving the lowest possible phase noise from internal oscillator is critical to the sonic performance/results.  If one accepts that the theory is likely correct, then using the best possible power supply is likely to be an advantage, as clock phase noise is dependent on power supply quality.  I am just trying to present this in a technical sense, and am not making any proclamations as to subjective sound quality improvements with power supply upgrades, I'll leave those evaluations to users.  

On the importance of power supplies in general, one should consider that in most high end audio products with built in power supplies, the power supplies usually compose at least half of the BOM cost for internal parts, often quite a larger portion than that.

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, MrDerrick said:

This is very odd, I had no problem powering a pair of oMs with a single LPS-1.

Are you referring to the green power LED or the green Ethernet activity LED on the port?

The green power LED starts flashing rapidly. 

Agree on paper the LPS-1 should be just fine. Dunno if mine is on the fritz or if there was something else wrong. Might have another attempt tomorrow. Meantime just listening to some music and enjoying it. The SQ is definitely a bit more crisp or clear with the OM. Liking what I'm hearing but assume it needs some burn-in time based on what I've read on this thread.

Cheers,

Alan

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

The green power LED starts flashing rapidly. 

Agree on paper the LPS-1 should be just fine. Dunno if mine is on the fritz or if there was something else wrong. Might have another attempt tomorrow. Meantime just listening to some music and enjoying it. The SQ is definitely a bit more crisp or clear with the OM. Liking what I'm hearing but assume it needs some burn-in time based on what I've read on this thread.

Cheers,

Alan

A thought: did you power up the LPS-1 first, and then hot plug it into the oM?  If not, try that.  I do not know how much capacitance the LPS-1 has, but considering it uses ultra caps, there might be a lot of capacitance, and this may take some time to charge up, so the LPS-1 might struggle a bit to meet the inrush current demands of the oM at power up.  Powering up the LPS-1 first, and then plugging it into the oM might do the trick.

SONORE computer audio