IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

13 hours ago, sahmen said:

Just in case you're not asking a rhetorical question: I think it is possible to reverse the directionality of the OM and connect it to the ER using an RJ45 copper cable. It is even possible to use two OMs connected via fibre in the same chain, with each other side connected via RJ45, either to a router, or to the ER. I personally wouldn't connect an OM using either approach, as they do not suit my particular needs, but  I wouldn't be surprised other enthusiasts are already using one or the other configuration.

Thanks for the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 7:26 PM, kennyb123 said:

Thanks for the info.  I've tried both (Sonore's multi mode transceivers/cable and Planet-USA single mode transceivers/matching cable) and like both with the same LPSUs feeding the OMs.  Ultimately preferred the single mode gear, but the multi mode combo is pretty good anyway.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vkennedy said:

@vortecjr

Hi - I think I posted this prior but I can't find the posting any longer.

Is the opticalModule compatible with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC? The DirectStream is 100MB/sec vs 1GB.

Thanks,

Vince

It’s not compatible with it.

I agree that it's GB only on the RJ45 jack. Somewhere along the way @vortecjr acknowledged this issue and also indicated that they are working on it. Since the opticalModule is still only available for pre-order, I am wondering if the next gen will be 100MB compatible. 

I currently have:

1. Ubiquiti Unifi Switch1 (Core) with a fiber backbone to Ubiquity Unifi Switch 2 (Audio Rack).

2. From Unifi Switch 2 I have Fiber to a Media converter (powered by a Uptone LPS)

3. From Media Converter RJ45 to PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

Unifii Switch 1 --> Fiber ---> Unifi Switch 2 ---> Fiber ---> Media Converter ---> RJ45 Cat5e ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC

This works well and sounds great. Does it sound better then straight Cat5e off of Switch 2? It's really hard to tell. I've tried going back and forth and I mostly lean towards I can't hear the difference. I've also tried putting the Media converter before a Sonore ultraRendu and tested the USB connection in the same way with and without the media converter. Once again, I can't really tell the difference between w/media converter and without. Does the DirectStream sound better with Ethernet vs USB is an open question. There are times that I think the USB sounds best and there are times I thing the Ethernet sounds the best. I do want to test the opticalModule before I settle on one of the inputs. I really don't need two source inputs to the DirectStream. 

Thanks!

Vince

4 minutes ago, vkennedy said:

I agree that it's GB only on the RJ45 jack. Somewhere along the way @vortecjr acknowledged this issue and also indicated that they are working on it. Since the opticalModule is still only available for pre-order, I am wondering if the next gen will be 100MB compatible. 

I currently have:

1. Ubiquiti Unifi Switch1 (Core) with a fiber backbone to Ubiquity Unifi Switch 2 (Audio Rack).

2. From Unifi Switch 2 I have Fiber to a Media converter (powered by a Uptone LPS)

3. From Media Converter RJ45 to PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

Unifii Switch 1 --> Fiber ---> Unifi Switch 2 ---> Fiber ---> Media Converter ---> RJ45 Cat5e ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC

This works well and sounds great. Does it sound better then straight Cat5e off of Switch 2? It's really hard to tell. I've tried going back and forth and I mostly lean towards I can't hear the difference. I've also tried putting the Media converter before a Sonore ultraRendu and tested the USB connection in the same way with and without the media converter. Once again, I can't really tell the difference between w/media converter and without. Does the DirectStream sound better with Ethernet vs USB is an open question. There are times that I think the USB sounds best and there are times I thing the Ethernet sounds the best. I do want to test the opticalModule before I settle on one of the inputs. I really don't need two source inputs to the DirectStream. 

Thanks!

Vince

This is the situation we are in. The oM is unfortunately 1000 speed only, but fortunately it is compatible with the Rendu series with USB output. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, magnuska said:

Just received an OM from the swedish distributor. Took some time to get it to work. But that was me who did not understand to remove the small white plastic protectors on the fibercable...😵 With these removed I got the system started. The OM insterted between Router and Etherregen. The OM is initially powered from an IFI powerbrick. That will be replaced with a Paul Hynes SR4. From cold its a definte improvement. Much more silent background, sounds very good right now. I guess Improvement with burn in as usual. 

Thank you Sonore for a great product.

Regards Magnus

Enjoy!

11 hours ago, magnuska said:

Just received an OM from the swedish distributor. Took some time to get it to work. But that was me who did not understand to remove the small white plastic protectors on the fibercable...😵 With these removed I got the system started.

Luckily, I watched a video about connecting fiber so I knew to remove the plastic protectors.  But I unpacked the OM in a room with little lighting and didn't see the plastic cover that protects the OM during shipping.  Well, I didn't see it until it started to wrinkle once it was in use and I couldn't figure out what was going on.  When i used a strong flashlight to look at it (by now, it was behind my rack), I finally realized my error (doh!).  :)  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

19 hours ago, magnuska said:

The OM insterted between Router and Etherregen. The OM is initially powered from an IFI powerbrick. That will be replaced with a Paul Hynes SR4. From cold its a definte improvement. Much more silent background, sounds very good right now. I guess Improvement with burn in as usual. 

Thanks for this information. I am also considering the OM (or a cheaper TP link media converter) between my router and  ER, but my gut feeling tells me I should get the OM with an LPS. Please let us know your opinion after the burn in period and adding the LPS too...

14 minutes ago, kzs70 said:

Thanks for this information. I am also considering the OM (or a cheaper TP link media converter) between my router and  ER, but my gut feeling tells me I should get the OM with an LPS. Please let us know your opinion after the burn in period and adding the LPS too...

@kzs70Check out this review of the Sonore oM, which touches on the difference with a TP Link.  The reviewer also used an LPS.  Hint: The reviewer gave a rave review of the oM.

13 minutes ago, Flashman said:

@kzs70Check out this review of the Sonore oM, which touches on the difference with a TP Link.  The reviewer also used an LPS.  Hint: The reviewer gave a rave review of the oM.

Thanks @Flashman, this is a pretty convincing review, I will get an OM and will test it soon. Just have to find a reasonable priced (preferable cheaper than the OM itself)  LPS as well.

Has someone tried the Ciunas Audio 5V or the Allo Shanti dual 5V LPS's?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a notable performance difference between an Optical module powered by the SGC 5v LPS, and an Optical Module powered by the Uptone LPS 1.2 set to 5v? I'm currently using the SGC LPS with the OM, in the same chain as my Etherregen, but I have a newly freed up LPS 1.2 that I could use with the OM, if that would make a notable difference.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

4 minutes ago, sahmen said:

Does anyone know if there is a notable performance difference between an Optical module powered by the SGC 5v LPS, and an Optical Module powered by the Uptone LPS 1.2 set to 5v?

I would expect a notable improvement using your LPS 1.2 at 5 VDC with the oM.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

replaced 5v wall wart switching supply with 12v wall wart switching supply into a DXP-1a5DSC (pre-reg 10v, output 8v) and another very tangible improvement, particularly in jump factor on vocals where the dynamic range of silence to vocal is startling............and this is not even in the streaming audio path, just between the fios router and the edgerouterX.

i already have galvanic isolation to the DAC (with the etherRegen ==> opticalRendu)

any theories on why this is helping so much? (not that i'm complaining)

...........other than "everything matters"

23 hours ago, cat6man said:

replaced 5v wall wart switching supply with 12v wall wart switching supply into a DXP-1a5DSC (pre-reg 10v, output 8v) and another very tangible improvement, particularly in jump factor on vocals where the dynamic range of silence to vocal is startling............and this is not even in the streaming audio path, just between the fios router and the edgerouterX.

i already have galvanic isolation to the DAC (with the etherRegen ==> opticalRendu)

any theories on why this is helping so much? (not that i'm complaining)

...........other than "everything matters"

It would be impracticable to show a difference from this at the output the DAC. 

13 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It would be impracticable to show a difference from this at the output the DAC. 

ok............how about a simpler measurement?

what about fiber vs. copper in the streaming path to the DAC?

let's run copper or an oM to the Rendu streamer...........what would you measure to show the

benefit of galvanic isolation?

16 hours ago, cat6man said:

ok............how about a simpler measurement?

what about fiber vs. copper in the streaming path to the DAC?

let's run copper or an oM to the Rendu streamer...........what would you measure to show the

benefit of galvanic isolation?

John or Alex have posted measurements with cable Ethernet showing the affect of noise from the power supply on an upstream network device. The whole shunting of the DC negative to AC ground was part of the proposed fix. This type of noise transmission is simply not possible over fiber optic networking.  

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

John or Alex have posted measurements with cable Ethernet showing the affect of noise from the power supply on an upstream network device. The whole shunting of the DC negative to AC ground was part of the proposed fix. This type of noise transmission is simply not possible over fiber optic networking.  

thanks jesus.  i (vaguely) remember this and, in fact, modified two of my switching power supplies accordingly.

anyone remember the link(s)?