IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

22 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Looked on their site and many SFP's to choose from. Which model did you go with?

https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Grounding the opticalModule as described in that post is not effective because there is no connection to the enclosure screws to the main board. The proper way to shunt the DC negative to AC ground is to use an iFi Audio Ground Hog with spade converter or equivalent.

FYI @zettelsm

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

7 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Grounding the opticalModule as described in that post is not effective because there is no electrical connection between the enclosure screws and the main board. The proper way to shunt the DC negative to AC ground is to use an iFi Audio Ground Hog with spade converter or equivalent.

Thanks very much. I'll take a look at that device.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

8 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I purchased two of these to use with the optical module and the ER, and  they seem to be working fine.  However, I notice that the Fiber type spec for this transceiver is listed as "single mode," although the one Sonore/SGC recommend is spec'ed as "multimode."  Moreover I am also using this fiber optic cable, also recommended by sonore, which is listed as "Multimode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (62.5/125) - LC to LC - Orange."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z9301I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would it be better to replace this multimode cable with a single mode cable, since I am using the planetech USA transceivers?  That would be fine too, but I hope I wouldn't require any attenuators if I do.  Although, the two units I purchased seem to be working nicely, I hope their status as "single-mode" units is not posing any problem I am unaware of, in this environment,  I could replace them with the  multimode spec'ed units which I originally bought, but only if the single mode ones are posing some technical problems. What are the differences between single and multimode applications anyway, and do they have any impact on the sound?

18 minutes ago, sahmen said:

I purchased two of these to use with the optical module and the ER, and  they seem to be working fine.  However, I notice that the Fiber type spec for this transceiver is listed as "single mode," although the one Sonore/SGC recommend is spec'ed as "multimode."  Moreover I am also using this fiber optic cable, also recommended by sonore, which is listed as "Multimode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (62.5/125) - LC to LC - Orange."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z9301I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would it be better to replace this multimode cable with a single mode cable, since I am using the planetech USA transceivers?  That would be fine too, but I hope I wouldn't require any attenuators if I do.  Although, the two units I purchased seem to be working nicely, I hope their status as "single-mode" units is not posing any problem I am unaware of, in this environment,  I could replace them with the  multimode spec'ed units which I originally bought, but only if the single mode ones are posing some technical problems. What are the differences between single and multimode applications anyway, and do they have any impact on the sound?

There is no practical reason to use single mode fiber optics for this application. 

55 minutes ago, barrows said:

Hey JR, did you fully read his post?  He is using these single mode SFPs:

https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/

With multi mode cables.

I would suggest that doing the above is probably not the best idea, all the components of the optical transfer system should match, as there are real differences between SMF parts and MMF parts.  I would recommend that people only use a complete matching set up.  Sonore's recommendation is to use OM-1 multi mode fiber SFPs and cable.

But, if you really do have single mode fiber SFPs, I would suggest that it is a bad idea to use multi mode cable, as they are not supposed to be compatible.  Get some single mode fiber cable to use with your SMF SFPs.  And, I do not think there is any need for attenuators, perhaps a Networking expert can chime in here though?  I am running a 60' length of SMF OS-2 cable with SMF SFPs here, and have no (known) issues with no attenuators. 

This is obviously not recommended practice and neither is the use of attenuators for that matter.

This is a prime example of why the long stupid thread should be ignored. According to its charter no one can go against its findings so it’s the Wild Wild West in there. 

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

A few of us on the “long stupid thread” are now strongly recommending the opticalModule.  You’re welcome.  😀

I was among the first to start experimenting with attenuators.  They were necessary with the Startech SFPs but I think the better answer is to pick a different SFP instead.  I don’t use attenuators now with the Planet Tech SFPs.  I’ve never tried the SFPs you recommend.

I thank you again for bringing the OM to market.  I’m very happy with it.  

K, that thread has a long history of nonsense and I’m not going to praise it even if they are talking good about my products. The general message is you need to do all these silly things to get good sound and we all know it’s a bunch of BS. 

12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I'm not suggesting that you need to do it...just showing how one would do it correctly. 

Understood.

I'll fabricate my own and see if I hear an improvement over no DC negative grounding.

Thank you again,

Steve

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

23 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Just keep in mind that those who participate in that thread aren’t all of a single mind

Indeed!  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

38 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I understand your position.  Just keep in mind that those who participate in that thread aren’t all of a single mind.  Compare the systems listed in their signature and you will see quite a variation in how many are actually doing all those things.

I think it’s best to “criticize ideas, not people”.  I think your contention with that thread is with the ideas expressed by some.  That shouldn’t prevent you from giving thanks to those who say good things about your products over there as those individuals might not even share those same ideas.  Myself and one other who praised the OM over there have been happy customers of yours.

All the more reason to make new threads instead of adding to the conjecture there. 

I didn’t criticize anyone...this time:) I have no issue with you or Steve and I do appreciate you complimenting our gear. That thread does not have a a history of doing the same. In fact that thread has back stabbed many companies for there own gain. 

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sonore-opticalmodule-review

“If you’ve got the time, energy, and finances necessary to enable experimentation with noise-reduction strategies, using Sonore opticalModules and linear power supplies to transmit data in an ethernet > optical > ethernet configuration will enable you to hear significantly more of what recording engineers and artists hoped you would hear.”

13 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sonore-opticalmodule-review

“If you’ve got the time, energy, and finances necessary to enable experimentation with noise-reduction strategies, using Sonore opticalModules and linear power supplies to transmit data in an ethernet > optical > ethernet configuration will enable you to hear significantly more of what recording engineers and artists hoped you would hear.”

Much appreciated...enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I am currently using a tplink module from router and then fiber optic cable to optical module then Ethernet cable to Dac. Is there any advantage of replacing the tp link with a second optical module?

Functionality wise it will work the same. I would let you decide if there is any advantage. The combination is 100% galvanically isolated and you have the clean device connected to the DAC. I would first go with a good power supply on the oM if you are not already doing that. 

17 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I am currently using a tplink module from router and then fiber optic cable to optical module then Ethernet cable to Dac. Is there any advantage of replacing the tp link with a second optical module?

I found benefit in replacing my Startech FMC with an opticalModule.  You may want to consider taking advantage of the 30-day return policy to try another one for yourself.

20 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I found benefit in replacing my Startech FMC with an opticalModule.  You may want to consider taking advantage of the 30-day return policy to try another one for yourself.

From the March Audiostream review:

“When I questioned Gillis about the noise-reduction benefits of replacing the first two TP-Links located on either end of the 75 ft optical cable that connects the router in the main house to the second router in the music room, he said that Sonore designers had conducted tests, and, ‘It won't make a difference. We have done testing on very resolving systems. We only hear improvement in the last leg with optical.’”

2 hours ago, Flashman said:

“When I questioned Gillis about the noise-reduction benefits of replacing the first two TP-Links located on either end of the 75 ft optical cable that connects the router in the main house to the second router in the music room, he said that Sonore designers had conducted tests, and, ‘It won't make a difference. We have done testing on very resolving systems. We only hear improvement in the last leg with optical.’”

Thats a goofy setup. Why isolate a second router when you can simply isolate the endpoint.

11 hours ago, Flashman said:

That’s not relevant to what I said.  I was talking about only the last leg.  I heard positive benefits from having an opticalModule on the upstream side of that leg.  The quote above talks about upgrading the leg that precedes the last leg.  The context is clear from the portion of the paragraph you omitted:

“For review purposes, Gillis sent two Sonore opticalModules. Both were installed in the music room, where they replaced the final two of my four TP-Links and transmitted signal from the music room’s router to either one of my two reference DACs, the dCS Network Bridge (which in turn sends signal to the EMM Labs DV2 via S/PDIF), or the Roon Nucleus+.“

His first leg is 75 ft long and leads from his house to the router in his music room.  The second leg is 15’ long and goes from that same router to his audio gear. 

For that last leg he evaluated opticalModules at both ends and liked what he heard.  That doesn’t surprise me a bit.