IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

Well, finally back from a 2 week trip and then took a day to begin to get over jet lag (i.e. I couldn't be trusted around electricity or sharp objects).

The oR was in my system and burning in for the 2 weeks and my recollection was that it sounded good, better than the old ultraRendu but probably needed to be burned in.  After 2 weeks, my opinion didn't change very much......hmmmmmm

Wednesday morning I unpacked the oM, set it up with an lps-1.2 and let it burn in for a day while I listened to the oR based system (also with an lps-1.2) and waited for the jetlag fog to begin to lift.

Today, I spent an hour or so listening to the oR in my system, then went to the basement and put the oM into the feed.

Holy (insert your own adjective here)!  I listened first (5 minutes after listening to it with oR alone) to Jennifer Warnes "Ballad of the Runaway Horse" and it was transformed, huge bass, much better depth and great micro-detail to the voice, just a no-brainer and no need to go back and forth for comparisons.

Clearly the uplink router crap/noise was really significant in my system.[YMMV]

The combination of the oM and the oR in my system, both with good power, is way beyond where I was with the uR.

My network is fairly heavy in the  house.  I have a 24 port 1G Netgear router, as well as a 6 port 10G Netgear router.

I had been using an SFP off of the 10G router to connect to the oR via 50ft of single mode fiber (I bought a pair of SFP and am not using the Sonore provided SFP).  I am currently running cat6 from the 10G router to the oM.

I had initially thought that the oR alone was supposed to be sufficient, but then I read here on the forum that some folks reported improvements with both the oR and oM, particularly if the router was noisy---so I took a shot and ordered an oM while halfway around the world (and it was waiting for me when I got back).

So, still in a bit of fog but very very happy with the sound of my system.

Great job guys!

16 hours ago, barrows said:

@cat6man, great to hear that you had such a nice improvement.  Here, adding the oM to my set up with the Signature Rendu SEoptical only resulted in a small increase in what I would call "purity".  Previously I was using a cheap FMC, but powered it with a very, very good ultra low noise ultra low impedance linear supply.

It is clear now from reports, that everyone's results will vary a bit, due to Network configurations.

@barrows

how about downgrading your system for a quick test?

can you put the SFP directly into your router and remove your FMC/oM?

i'm curious if you'd also notice a big difference :)

basically wondering if SFP in router might be a "don't go down that road if you don't have to"  recommendation

• 6 months later...

replaced 5v wall wart switching supply with 12v wall wart switching supply into a DXP-1a5DSC (pre-reg 10v, output 8v) and another very tangible improvement, particularly in jump factor on vocals where the dynamic range of silence to vocal is startling............and this is not even in the streaming audio path, just between the fios router and the edgerouterX.

i already have galvanic isolation to the DAC (with the etherRegen ==> opticalRendu)

any theories on why this is helping so much? (not that i'm complaining)

...........other than "everything matters"

13 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It would be impracticable to show a difference from this at the output the DAC. 

ok............how about a simpler measurement?

what about fiber vs. copper in the streaming path to the DAC?

let's run copper or an oM to the Rendu streamer...........what would you measure to show the

benefit of galvanic isolation?

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

John or Alex have posted measurements with cable Ethernet showing the affect of noise from the power supply on an upstream network device. The whole shunting of the DC negative to AC ground was part of the proposed fix. This type of noise transmission is simply not possible over fiber optic networking.  

thanks jesus.  i (vaguely) remember this and, in fact, modified two of my switching power supplies accordingly.

anyone remember the link(s)?