IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

On 3/9/2019 at 9:01 AM, vortecjr said:

The Sonore opticalModule is a bi-directional fiber media converter or FMC. The opticalModule has an SFP fiber optic transceiver on one side and an RJ45 connector on the other side. The unit can be used to add fiber-optic networking to your existing wired network or convert your existing fiber optic network to a wired network. The unit can be used with a microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, Signature Rendu series (ethernet or optical), or any other network endpoint.

FEATURES

1. High-quality low noise linear regulator
2. External power input jack
3. RJ45 input connector
4. Fixed frequency ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator
5. Includes one SFP fiber optic transceiver
6. Power connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center +)
7. Power input: 5-9 VDC
8. Dimension: 3.5"x2.2"x.7"

TYPICAL USAGE

Optical Ethernet to Cable Ethernet Converter

Cable Ethernet to Optical Ethernet Converter

The opticalModule is systemOptique certified systemoptique-logo-small.png.f6b5b69a10816c9718daf2544e2108bd.png

List of systemOptique certified gear

139100133_ScreenShot2019-03-09at7_00_02AM.png.b3f744e987a45b488faa32520d3d4d8e.png

This is the specification for the fiber optic cable that works with the SFP modules that we are providing with the opticalRendu, opticalModule, and the starter kit:

Fiber Optic Cable - OM1 - Multimode (62.5/125) - Duplex - LC to LC

You can buy this product on amazon.com here:

https://amzn.to/2Tl9L0q

what is the cost of this FMC compared to other brands like TP Link?

3 hours ago, Frojo said:

This is a bit disappointing given the previous indication (in the initial post) was 'MSRP 199'.......

The quotes for the production run exceeded our estimates. Things are just more expensive to make these days...   

I just checked out the link for the optical module and it is already sold out. I currently have a Sonore Signature Rendu SE that I recently upgraded to the optical version. As I stated in an earlier post, I noticed a difference in sq but not sure if I would call it better. If it is better, certainly not a lot better and I do have a very nice system. I am using the Trendnet FMC now. So my decision point will be to replace the Trendnet FMC with the optical module or wait for the uptone etherregen and run an optical cable directly from the optical port to the rendu so no need for the FMC or optical module. When all you early adopters get the optical module, it will be nice to hear your thoughts on how/if it improves so over some std FMC.

1 minute ago, lxgreen said:

I just checked out the link for the optical module and it is already sold out.

It's not really sold out, it just isn't available to order yet.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 hours ago, jabbr said:

Sheesh, they are making this, its not mass production ...

And your point is?.......      its hand assembled and therefore good value or its not production line assembled and therefore cost estimates are difficult to assess within 25% of initial calculations?

12 minutes ago, firedog said:

What's really your gripe? Jesus gave an educated guess about what the price would be based on past experience. When he got the real prices of the components he realized the retail would have to be higher. Wow, his initial estimate was incorrect. So what?  He didn't promise $199. 
Have you ever designed and marketed such a product? Do you actually know whats involved in making a profit on it? 
The only thing posts like yours accomplish is to make producers like Jesus decide to  refrain from giving us preliminary info. 

I am not griping and i agree with your comments. It was an expression of disappointment, no more.

I was somewhat irked by Jabbr's response given that Jesus had already addressed my comment- he didn't seem unduly upset

I am well aware of your support for optical ethernet and have read and re-read your thread regarding the same- well done !

Quite why you felt it necessary to comment - 'Sheesh, they are making this, its not mass production ...' I don't understand.

The assessment regarding  cost of production et al are part of any business model planning and i repeat , i am disappointed that the MSRP has jumped by 25%  in the space of three weeks - why is that unreasonable?

17 hours ago, Frojo said:

i am disappointed that the MSRP has jumped by 25%  in the space of three weeks - why is that unreasonable?

Since there was no MSRP, it can't have jumped by 25% in the space of three weeks. There was a Jesus' guesstimate of $199. That's all, and that isn't an MSRP.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Since there was no MSRP, it can't have jumped by 25% in the space of three weeks. There was a Jesus' guesstimate of $199. That's all, and that isn't an MSRP.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:01 PM, vortecjr said:

1. Standalone version (as shown above), MSRP ~199 USD, currently in pre-production

?