IGNORED

Bricasti Model 3 DAC

21 minutes ago, firedog said:

Costs $6000 and doesn't seem to have the separate 1bit path for DSD. For audiophiles, their consumer units would seem more suitable. Unless you don't have any interest in DSD.

It is a M1 for Pros, the price is a little bit more than the M3, in my view a bargain.

Maybe the perfect DAC for Brian Lucey 😁

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 hours ago, matthias said:

It is a M1 for Pros, the price is a little bit more than the M3, in my view a bargain.

Maybe the perfect DAC for Brian Lucey 😁

Maybe someone can shed some light on:

Does the MC1 have the MDx or not?

Matt

From the Bricasti website;  The MDx was implemented in production on all products starting January 2020, and is now available for upgrades. all past D/A converter products are eligible for the MDx upgrade including all versions of the M1, M3, M12, and M21.

4 minutes ago, KLH007 said:

From the Bricasti website;  The MDx was implemented in production on all products starting January 2020, and is now available for upgrades. all past D/A converter products are eligible for the MDx upgrade including all versions of the M1, M3, M12, and M21.

So the MC1 uses one too?

Do you know why the MC1 does not support DSD256 like the other Bricasti DACs?

Thanks

Matt

6 hours ago, KLH007 said:

Matt, I don't know why the different spec, perhaps call Brian Monday?

I got feedback from Brian.

The MC1 has MDx and does DSD256, the HP is not yet updated. 🙂

Matt

On 6/22/2020 at 2:37 PM, sfseay said:

As mentioned previously, I bought a new MDx upgrade board for my Bricasti M3.  The new MDx and old MDx boards are shown below.  Installation was a very straightforward procedure to swap out the old board with the new.  You can see the new chips on the board.  Took maybe 20 minutes.  Also, took my time to make sure all connections were good and all screws went back into the right places.  Will let it play overnight to break it in.

New MDx board below:

IMG_1513.thumb.jpeg.288e101469013a849a1a4959e4f779a7.jpeg

Old M3 non-MDx board below:

IMG_1517.thumb.jpeg.998f385ffd58b1f91df4e1fcee3c6493.jpeg

How's the MDx working out for you? Worth it?

To me, in my system it make quite a substantial difference.  Worth the $720.00!

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

6 hours ago, sfseay said:

To me, in my system it make quite a substantial difference.  Worth the $720.00!

Please, can you shed some light on with some impressions?

How good is the USB input particularly?

Thanks

Matt

I prefer the USB currently over Ethernet.  I use USB because the Antipodes Server is said to work best with USB vs. Ethernet.  I haven’t done any comparisons over time but I did compare them a couple of weeks ago and I didn’t hear any difference. 

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

1 hour ago, sfseay said:

I prefer the USB currently over Ethernet.  I use USB because the Antipodes Server is said to work best with USB vs. Ethernet.  I haven’t done any comparisons over time but I did compare them a couple of weeks ago and I didn’t hear any difference. 

I would say this is pretty interesting because in posts before launching the MDx board Brian Zolner stated that he prefers Ethernet over USB.

Matt

26 minutes ago, matthias said:

I would say this is pretty interesting because in posts before launching the MDx board Brian Zolner stated that he prefers Ethernet over USB.

Matt

I think Brian likes Ethernet over USB because there are less issues , I don't think one can say ones better than the other because everyones source is not the same . 

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Matt

This is one of those cases where the source matters.  @sfseay is using an Innuous Server as the source, and it probably has much cleaner USB output than a normal commercial computer.  The VP of Sonore far prefers the USB input on his Bricasti M21 over the Ethernet input, but his USB source is a Sonore Signature RednuSEoptical and has a super clean USB output.  Sonore's VP found even better performance when he removed the ethernet board from the DAC completely.

Versus USB via a standard commercial computer, I would not be surprised if the Ethernet input on the Bricasti DACs was better. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

7 hours ago, barrows said:

This is one of those cases where the source matters.  @sfseay is using an Innuous Server as the source, and it probably has much cleaner USB output than a normal commercial computer.  The VP of Sonore far prefers the USB input on his Bricasti M21 over the Ethernet input, but his USB source is a Sonore Signature RednuSEoptical and has a super clean USB output.  Sonore's VP found even better performance when he removed the ethernet board from the DAC completely.

Versus USB via a standard commercial computer, I would not be surprised if the Ethernet input on the Bricasti DACs was better. 

This makes perfectly sense @Bazinga prefers USB with his Taiko Extreme as well 🙂

Matt

On Tuesday this week, the new MDx board was installed at the factory and even though i am still letting it settle in, my initial thoughts point to the updated board as a definite improvement over the older board. I prefer using Ethernet over USB. As mentioned earlier, i agree that, the source matters. I feed the Ethernet card of my M1SE via the "Player Port" of a Melco N1ZH/2.  In my opinion the sound is much better than using the USB output of the Melco. Maybe it's just my preference but, Low level detail, bass and sound-staging are areas that i find Ethernet having a slight but notable edge over USB to my ears. 

I am receiving my updated M21 and M20 today . Bricasti completed all updates to bring them up to date in 2 days , excellent customer service and turn around . I am looking forward to do some listening . 

I have a mint M1 SE for sale if anyone is interested , 1.51 to bring up to date just 

add MDx board .     

3 hours ago, sircharles said:

On Tuesday this week, the new MDx board was installed at the factory and even though i am still letting it settle in, my initial thoughts point to the updated board as a definite improvement over the older board. I prefer using Ethernet over USB. As mentioned earlier, i agree that, the source matters. I feed the Ethernet card of my M1SE via the "Player Port" of a Melco N1ZH/2.  In my opinion the sound is much better than using the USB output of the Melco. Maybe it's just my preference but, Low level detail, bass and sound-staging are areas that i find Ethernet having a slight but notable edge over USB to my ears. 

Interesting because I use a SotM trifecta now, sms-200 Ultra, TX-USBEX, SPS-500 and uptone regen/lps 1.2.  I don't have the Ethernet upgrade and am now hesitant.  But I also have an SNH-10G switch as well.

1 hour ago, ducatirider said:

Interesting because I use a SotM trifecta now, sms-200 Ultra, TX-USBEX, SPS-500 and uptone regen/lps 1.2.  I don't have the Ethernet upgrade and am now hesitant.  But I also have an SNH-10G switch as well.

Your chain looks to be very good. The SNH-10G switch is a very nice way to eliminate any weakness in your chain. If you already have a Bricasti DAC, the addition of the Ethernet card is not expensive and definitely worth a try. The SNH-10G mated with the Bricasti Ethernet card might be a pleasant surprise to you....Plus you get to compare USB vs Ethernet and let us know what you think. Currently i am using Uptone's EtherRen with plans to add a Melco switch when funds allow.  

51 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

I use EtherRegen w/ a Sablon cable into the Bricasti. It sounds better than direct from my generic switch. I am not sure if adding an audiophile switch will bring additional benefit with EtherRegen. I think it could be marginal or negligible.

I agree..... Just to be clear, i would be looking to replace the EtherRegen with the Melco switch in the future. I wonder whether the Melco will add to the existing gains that the EtherRegen brought. I'm hoping it does.

23 hours ago, barrows said:

Just to clarify, I use an Antipodes server, not Innuous as my source.  Big improvement over using a Synology NAS.  The Antipodes runs Roon Core and also functions as my Roon Ready player.