IGNORED

Bricasti Model 3 DAC

5 hours ago, sfseay said:

Great review of the Bricasti M3 on Stereo Times website - Click here

Yes, Terry London mentioned there is also a review of the Rockna Wavelight upcoming.

Very interesting to compare both.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Anybody upgraded their Bricasti M3 to have the new MDx upgrade?  This upgrade give you the ability to play DSD256 and sound improvements.  

From Bricasti:

"The MDx processor is our latest enhancement to the product line, this upgrade will provide for DSD256 with USB, and overall improvement over the previous revisions of the processors used in our products for digital timing.  The MDx processor is used in all new production so upgrading to it will bring the product up to current production spec.  In particular with the MDx there is a noted improvement when using the network interface over the previous type processors, this change is for better sync to the incoming master clock.  The M3 has had the improved Master clock timing,  as about a year ago at the time we introduced the M3 we made changes in all product with the previous versions of the processor ( Rev 8 )  to yield better performance.  But the MDx provides even better performance than the first processor the M3 was shipped with, so there will be an overall improvement with the M3 running the MDx on all inputs.  The Rev8  processor board used in the first generation M3 has excellent performance, the MDx is just a bit better in all aspects and especially when using the interface for the network.

Whether or not this is worthwhile is up to the listener.   Users report that it is,  but of course this becomes subjective opinion of the listener.  One might describe the sound effect is of greater accuracy of transients and presentation of the imaging to be more accurate.  This can be perceived as slight or profound, depends on the playback chain and source.  This is like changing the sync setting in the M3 from fine ( most accurate timing ) to wide ( less accurate).  With the MDX we go to super fine mode."

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

On 6/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, barrows said:

So you are confirming native DSD 256 from Lumin U1 to the Bricasti M3, via USB right?  That is excellent news.

How is it sounding for you?

Duplicate

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

My M3 has the MDx board.  Adrian, the VP of Sonore, runs the Bricasti M21 DAC, and he just got the MDx board, and reports a nice improvement in performance in his system from adding it (amazing, as the M21 already sounded fantastic, we used the M21 at RMAF in our demo system last fall).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, sfseay said:

Anybody upgraded their Bricasti M3 to have the new MDx upgrade?  This upgrade give you the ability to play DSD256 and sound improvements.  

From Bricasti:

"The MDx processor is our latest enhancement to the product line, this upgrade will provide for DSD256 with USB, and overall improvement over the previous revisions of the processors used in our products for digital timing.  The MDx processor is used in all new production so upgrading to it will bring the product up to current production spec.  In particular with the MDx there is a noted improvement when using the network interface over the previous type processors, this change is for better sync to the incoming master clock.  The M3 has had the improved Master clock timing,  as about a year ago at the time we introduced the M3 we made changes in all product with the previous versions of the processor ( Rev 8 )  to yield better performance.  But the MDx provides even better performance than the first processor the M3 was shipped with, so there will be an overall improvement with the M3 running the MDx on all inputs.  The Rev8  processor board used in the first generation M3 has excellent performance, the MDx is just a bit better in all aspects and especially when using the interface for the network.

Whether or not this is worthwhile is up to the listener.   Users report that it is,  but of course this becomes subjective opinion of the listener.  One might describe the sound effect is of greater accuracy of transients and presentation of the imaging to be more accurate.  This can be perceived as slight or profound, depends on the playback chain and source.  This is like changing the sync setting in the M3 from fine ( most accurate timing ) to wide ( less accurate).  With the MDX we go to super fine mode."

Thanks,

do you have a link to this announcement from Bricasti?

Matt

4 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks,

do you have a link to this announcement from Bricasti?

Matt

Before paying $700.00 for the upgrade I asked Bricasti via email what the MDx board offered and their response is in my posting.

5 hours ago, sfseay said:

Before paying $700.00 for the upgrade I asked Bricasti via email what the MDx board offered and their response is in my posting.

The question is how can the prospective buyer be absolutely sure to get a Bricasti with the MDx board inside.

Is there a sign at the case or is it up a certain serial number?

I have seen so far no info about on their HP.

IMO, Bricasti should shed some light on this.

Matt

6 hours ago, matthias said:

The question is how can the prospective buyer be absolutely sure to get a Bricasti with the MDx board inside.

Is there a sign at the case or is it up a certain serial number?

I have seen so far no info about on their HP.

IMO, Bricasti should shed some light on this.

Matt

The Bricasti M3 DAC (and I assume other models) show the software in their display.  This also refers to the input board model.  Mine shows "MDx" right in the display.  I am sure they can confirm for you via the serial number as well if you were looking to purchase.  New DACs have been shipping with the MDx board for awhile now, it was just not officially launched because of the Corona lockdown in the NE.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

This is what my M3 shows.  Don’t see anything about the input board but I know I don’t have the MDx hardware.

449E558D-648B-4FE0-BD50-42C8AA0531A1.png

All Bricasti DACs have the MDx board starting around March 2020, contact Bricasti directly if you question whether or not your has the new board. Barrows is correct, when I scroll the "Status" menu on my M3, MDx 1.01 appears, so try scrolling through the Status menu and see if you get an MDx.

4 hours ago, KLH007 said:

All Bricasti DACs have the MDx board starting around March 2020, contact Bricasti directly if you question whether or not your has the new board. Barrows is correct, when I scroll the "Status" menu on my M3, MDx 1.01 appears, so try scrolling through the Status menu and see if you get an MDx.

Interesting , I don’t have a “Status” menu.

2 minutes ago, sfseay said:

Interesting , I don’t have a “Status” menu.

Yes you do.  On the front panel of the Bricasti M3 DAC there are a series of 6 buttons, one is marked "status" it allows you to scroll through he menu options.  Press the Status button to scroll through your various settings.  One of the screens you will see shows the board rev. and the software version.  If you have the Mdx board it say: MDx followed by a software version number.

Mine says this:  MDx  1.02

SONORE computer audio

18 hours ago, barrows said:

Yes you do.  On the front panel of the Bricasti M3 DAC there are a series of 6 buttons, one is marked "status" it allows you to scroll through he menu options.  Press the Status button to scroll through your various settings.  One of the screens you will see shows the board rev. and the software version.  If you have the Mdx board it say: MDx followed by a software version number.

Mine says this:  MDx  1.02

Yes, sorry.  I was referring to the webpage, not the Status on the M3 display.  In any event I have ordered the MDx upgrade kit and will install it when it arrives next week.

5 hours ago, matthias said:

Do you know for sure if this reviewed M3 had the MDx upgrade?

Thanks

Matt

How would anyone know that?  Not mentioned in the article anywhere.

1 hour ago, sfseay said:

How would anyone know that?  Not mentioned in the article anywhere.

He wrote on Audiogon:

"My review on the M3 was submitted to Stereo Times website and hopefully will be up shortly. It's a superlative music maker. The M3 has the new and latest upgraded board and is a significant improvement over what you have in your M1"

So I would say with MDx.

Matt

7 hours ago, mrkoven said:

New board looks very different.. glad to hear it was a simple change.

I will order the MDx this week and do the same.

Please share your impressions.

I am very curious how the Bricasti with MDx compares to your Rockna Wavelight. 🙂

Matt

Hello,

not it trying to derail, but what would make more improvement:

adding Mdx to my M1se with network

or

adding etherregen to my system?

thanks,

Jeff

Aurender N100H, Kimber USB, Uptone Regen, PS Audio Directstream dac, Siltech 550I ICs balanced, Oasis S200 Monoblocks, AQ Red Wood Speaker Cable, Magico S5 speakers.