IGNORED

Bricasti Model 3 DAC

3 hours ago, sircharles said:

On Tuesday this week, the new MDx board was installed at the factory and even though i am still letting it settle in, my initial thoughts point to the updated board as a definite improvement over the older board. I prefer using Ethernet over USB. As mentioned earlier, i agree that, the source matters. I feed the Ethernet card of my M1SE via the "Player Port" of a Melco N1ZH/2.  In my opinion the sound is much better than using the USB output of the Melco. Maybe it's just my preference but, Low level detail, bass and sound-staging are areas that i find Ethernet having a slight but notable edge over USB to my ears. 

Interesting because I use a SotM trifecta now, sms-200 Ultra, TX-USBEX, SPS-500 and uptone regen/lps 1.2.  I don't have the Ethernet upgrade and am now hesitant.  But I also have an SNH-10G switch as well.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, sircharles said:

Your chain looks to be very good. The SNH-10G switch is a very nice way to eliminate any weakness in your chain. If you already have a Bricasti DAC, the addition of the Ethernet card is not expensive and definitely worth a try. The SNH-10G mated with the Bricasti Ethernet card might be a pleasant surprise to you....Plus you get to compare USB vs Ethernet and let us know what you think. Currently i am using Uptone's EtherRen with plans to add a Melco switch when funds allow.  

I think it might be worth it just for reducing the box count alone.  I have so many boxes x2 with lps that I'm running out of room.

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 6:39 AM, barrows said:

Not sure what you mean-I am in the process of changing my rack shelves from plexiglass to bamboo. The bamboo shelves seem to have even less resonance than the (already pretty good) plexiglas.  In the picture you can see the M3 on a bamboo shelf, I still have swap out the top shelf to complete that set up.  I also just put in a Sablon Audio Ethernet cable for the critical link between the switch and my opticalModule (just 1 meter here), resulting in another step up in sound quality.  

But let's get back to how great the M3 is sounding now with DSD 256, awesome!  I am playing Anna Fedorova and Dana Zemtsov's new album "Silhouettes" (a Channel Classics DSD 256 recording) right now as I type, just fantastic.

the upgrade is worth it for native DSD alone.