IGNORED

Bricasti Model 3 DAC

I just discovered this announcement.  Interesting at $4995.  @austinpop I guess you've already settled on HMS/TT2?

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/03/02/bricasti-design-launches-model-3-digital-to-analog-converter/

Here's the manual:

http://www.bricasti.com/images/product_downloads/m3_user_guide.pdf

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Yes, looks like an interesting unit with separate paths for pcm and dsd; dsd is one bit path.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Clocking is implemented with a technique called DDS (direct digital synthesis) which takes clock induced jitter to immeasurable levels.

@JohnSwenson can you explain a bit about DDS?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

I'd be extremely surprised if it isn't the same ethernet module as in the M1 and M5. No reason they would make a whole new board. I'm sure it's just a technicality of "certification".

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

11 hours ago, rickca said:

I just discovered this announcement.  Interesting at $4995.  @austinpop I guess you've already settled on HMS/TT2?

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/03/02/bricasti-design-launches-model-3-digital-to-analog-converter/

Here's the manual:

http://www.bricasti.com/images/product_downloads/m3_user_guide.pdf

Would be nice to compare to both  the more expensive Bricasti Model 1 and the less expensive new Holo Spring2 which has also two separate DACs, one for PCM and one for DSD.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

13 minutes ago, matthias said:

It is a pity that it does not allow more than DSD128 via DoP,

but it is by far the best-looking Bricasti DAC ever.

Matt

Yes, looks like all their DACs are limited to DSD128 via DOP.  I'm not sure why.

This DAC is on my radar.  For a component made in the USA it appears to offer fair value for what appears to be high build quality.  The interest for me is in the DSD DAC...  The specifications suggest the DSD circuit is very close to that of the M21.  It would be nice to learn more details of the DSD conversion approach applied.  I suspect the analog circuits will be fine, being Bricasti.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, rickca said:

Yes, looks like all their DACs are limited to DSD128 via DOP.  I'm not sure why.

It is strange, indeed.

Hopefully they offer a SE version for M3 as well.

Matt

I'm a Bricasti AD and will try to answer some of the questions posed and more. 

$4995 is the base price. Ethernet and Remote are options, $1k and $500 respectively. The ethernet board is the same as found in the M1 option... and same as the M5 Network Player.

It’s not Roon ready, but that's coming soon with a firmware update. The Roon implementation on the M1 SE is top notch, so no reason to believe they won't accomplish the same with the M5.

The M1 SE is an unbelievable performer imo. Yet the M3 has two power supplies instead of three for the M1 SE. When asked how the M3 performs, I'm told it sounds more like an M21... meaning it's more forward and detailed, but more musical than the M1 SE. 

Bricasti DACs carry a limited lifetime warranty (meaning don't drop it and they'll warranty it). It's not transferable. This warranty is pretty much much unheard of in the industry. Made in America... 

I can go on and on but don't want to turn this into a wall of marketing. TL;DR: I'm a big fan. 

Disclosure: Authorized dealer in many product lines, see https://neal.audio

5 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

The M1 SE is an unbelievable performer imo. Yet the M3 has two power supplies instead of three for the M1 SE. When asked how the M3 performs, I'm told it sounds more like an M21... meaning it's more forward and detailed, but more musical than the M1 SE. 

So the M3 is more musical than the M1 SE?

Thanks

Matt

^ So I'm told. Though this would be a real accomplishment given how musical the M1 SE is. It's also reported that the M1 has a larger sound stage, though the M3 clearly images better (images like an M21).

Bottom line is that they're different sounding, one not necessarily better than the other. Which is good since one is $10k and the other is $5k.

9 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

The ethernet board is the same as found in the M1 option... and same as the M5 Network Player.

Purely from a sound quality POV:

Does the Bricasti sound better via Ethernet than via USB or does it make more sense to buy a very good USB cable?

Thanks

Matt

^ This isn't always a cut and dried question. USB generally tends to be noisier, but it can depend on the cable and what's upstream. Some AS users have NUC renderers and audio switches in play so it cleans up the signal, but then left with USB only but with great results. Those without these products might be better served with ethernet in. 

For those without upstream treatments, I always recommend that people try both in their systems. 

4 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

Bottom line is that they're different sounding, one not necessarily better than the other. Which is good since one is $10k and the other is $5k.

I am curious about the first listening impressions in comparison to the M1.

Matt

19 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

The listening impressions described are not my own, but someone who's ears I trust.

Please keep us informed when you have compared directly M3 to M1.

Thanks

Matt

I would really to hear some more details about this DAC.  For example: in the DSD section: is this a discrete conversion solution (non IC, low pass filter approach)?  Does the DAC do the DSD conversion at its native rate (DSD 64 and DSD 128) or does it use its processing power to increase the sample rate before the conversion (remaining one bit)?

Is the DSD conversion section the same as it is in the M21?  It sounds like it may be...

Also, considering it allows for a native DSD path, why does the DAC not allow for higher DSD rates?  4x and 8x DSD are popular for those who like to oversample in software (and there is more music available recorded at DSD x4 every day from Channel Classics and Reference Recordings).  I certainly hope that Bricasti will consider upgrades to all of their DACs allowing for up to DSD 512 rates.

I am impressed that Bricasti has been able to produce what appears to be a very, very nice, DAC, with a quality build, in the USA, at a very reasonable price.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, barrows said:

I would really to hear some more details about this DAC.  For example: in the DSD section: is this a discrete conversion solution (non IC, low pass filter approach)?  Does the DAC do the DSD conversion at its native rate (DSD 64 and DSD 128) or does it use its processing power to increase the sample rate before the conversion (remaining one bit)?

Is the DSD conversion section the same as it is in the M21?  It sounds like it may be...

Also, considering it allows for a native DSD path, why does the DAC not allow for higher DSD rates?  4x and 8x DSD are popular for those who like to oversample in software (and there is more music available recorded at DSD x4 every day from Channel Classics and Reference Recordings).  I certainly hope that Bricasti will consider upgrades to all of their DACs allowing for up to DSD 512 rates.

I am impressed that Bricasti has been able to produce what appears to be a very, very nice, DAC, with a quality build, in the USA, at a very reasonable price.

There was a Hong kong based review of the M5  network player (https://personalaudio.hk/2017/12/15/bricasti-m5-streamer-networkplayer/) ; it said they succeeded in playing back DSD 512 via the M5.  I asked Bricasti about it and they said it was possible, but that they don't support it/haven't fully tested it. With my M5 can't get anything above DSD 128 to work on it.

I get the impression that the software side of things is part of the issue, and this doesn't seem to be Bricasti's strong point. Apparently they get all their software from an outside supplier, and don't have the ability to do much in terms of upgrades.

6 hours ago, firedog said:

I get the impression that the software side of things is part of the issue, and this doesn't seem to be Bricasti's strong point. Apparently they get all their software from an outside supplier, and don't have the ability to do much in terms of upgrades.

I wonder what they are using for USB hardware wise, if it is XMOS getting higher rates of native DSD to work should not be very difficult.  Also, if Bricasti has a lack in the coding area (internally or amongst their consultants) I would find it hard to believe they developed their own Ethernet interface.  

SONORE computer audio

11 hours ago, firedog said:

Form my studies of their PCBs that does not seem likely. Lots of coding key to their products going on on the middle board with big SHARC chip.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/bricasti/2.html

4 hours ago, barrows said:

I wonder what they are using for USB hardware wise, if it is XMOS getting higher rates of native DSD to work should not be very difficult.  Also, if Bricasti has a lack in the coding area (internally or amongst their consultants) I would find it hard to believe they developed their own Ethernet interface.  

Yes, definitely XMOS for the USB input.  Integrated onto their main DSP board.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Form my studies of their PCBs that does not seem likely. Lots of coding key to their products going on on the middle board with big SHARC chip.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/bricasti/2.html

Yes, definitely XMOS for the USB input.  Integrated onto their main DSP board.

Well, a few of us asked Bricasti about adding the HQP NAA to their networked products and were told it wouldn’t happen. As I noted, apparently the programming is totally outsourced and a closed issue for them. No adding features to the OS unless they decide to contract for an expensive major update: At least that’s what was implied.  I’d assume similar issues explain why they are “stuck” at supporting DSD 128.

21 minutes ago, firedog said:

I’d assume similar issues explain why they are “stuck” at supporting DSD 128.

I would not make the same assumption.  Getting their XMOS USB interface (I am playing with a $99 DAC board right now which handles native DSD 512 input no problem through its USB/XMOS input) to work at Native DSD 512 is an entirely different thing than coding the OS for their Ethernet Renderer.

It would be interesting to know more about their DSD conversion approach.  Often these "pure" DSD approaches work quite a bit better with DSD 256 and DSD 512-it makes me wonder if they are oversampling DSD in their processing chip to a higher rate.  In any case, with a "pure" DSD converter, Bricasti would be advised that supporting higher DSD rates will only help their sales.

SONORE computer audio