Jump to content
ferenc

MSB Pro USB - USB to fiber adaptor for MSB Pro ISL Input Module

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, ferenc said:

Interesting concept and product, compatible only with MSB docs if I understood right.

 

http://www.msbtechnology.com/accessories/prousb/

 

 

Pro-USB-Module-Starter-pack-900px.jpg

Pro-USB-Disassembled-900px.jpg

Pro-USB-Setup-v2.jpg

 

Similar to the Adnaco.

MSB use the USB cable at the start, Adnaco at the end.

 

Interesting that they go fiber via USB and not via Ethernet like Sonore.

Any thoughts on that?

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is a smart design because the fiber converter is powered by the USB bus and does not need an external PS.

 

Would be interesting how the SQ is in comparison to a direct wired 2k USB connection of course with the same server and MSB DAC.

Has anyone tried this?

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is cool and forward thinking IMO. Remember the unit’s output is proprietary i2s and only works with their DACs. It’s not optical network input so it’s not compatible with SystemOptique gear:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

This is cool and forward thinking IMO. Remember the unit’s output is proprietary i2s and only works with their DACs. 

 

So technically it is a converter from wired USB to optical I2S?

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, matthias said:

 

So technically it is a converter from wired USB to optical I2S?

 

Matt

 

Yes, it seems, at least as I understood it. Really clever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame that optical couldnt be used to drawn power from the MSB dacs, especially those with the mono power bases and have to rely on the streamers usb power.

 

I would see this as a big compromise. 

 

A 5v external power source to the device would possibly yield superior results from a good power source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, matthias said:

 

So technically it is a converter from wired USB to optical I2S?

 

Matt

The wired version has Can bus, master clock and the signal on different pairs. How this unit works is unknown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, justubes said:

It's a shame that optical couldnt be used to drawn power from the MSB dacs, especially those with the mono power bases and have to rely on the streamers usb power.

 

I would see this as a big compromise. 

 

A 5v external power source to the device would possibly yield superior results from a good power source.

There are ways to feed the unit clean power via USB;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, justubes said:

It's a shame that optical couldnt be used to drawn power from the MSB dacs, especially those with the mono power bases and have to rely on the streamers usb power.

I would see this as a big compromise. 

A 5v external power source to the device would possibly yield superior results from a good power source.

 

I am sure MSB evaluated an external 5V power source but came to the conclusion that it might not be important.

I is a really smart solution. One can use  a very short USB cable and can run the fiber over long distance without loss of SQ.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m from MSB Technology and I would like to share a few of the technical advantages the Pro ISL interface (and Pro USB) has over other digital audio interfaces. The only downsides of the Pro ISL interface are 2W of power consumption and compatibility only with MSB DACs.

 

DAC syncronous scrambled streaming data. Clocking of the data stream is syncronized to the DAC with a separate clock feedback link in a second fiber. Unlike block based protocols like Ethernet or USB, the Pro ISL interface does not generate electical noise in the audible band upon reception.

 

Strong forward error correction (optionally traded for more audio data channels) instantly corrects most errors including up to 1024 bit gaps in the audio data stream upon reception.

 

Very strong CRC based error detection (an HD8 CRC polynomial protects each 64 bits of audio data, an HD10 CRC polynomial for misc data). Allows quick identification of failing links and prevents playback of erroneous data.

 

Less than 10 milliseconds to lock to an active data stream.

 

Very low noise reception due to very low noise hardware decoding, data stream scrambling and balancing. Ethernet for example requires a complex operating system and usually an electrically noisy general purpose processor for reception and decoding. Ethernet, even optical Ethernet, also uses large asyncronous data blocks that generate much low frequency noise during decoding.

 

Perfect isolation from the non conductive single mode glass fiber.

 

Greater than 1km cable lengths are possible. Also no EMI radiation or conduction due to non conductive cabling. Cabling is safe safe to run anywhere because it is non conductive.

 

Much lower received jitter than any other digital audio interface. Cabling even at extreme lengths adds almost no jitter because single mode glass fiber cable has nearly zero dispersion and extreamly low attenuation of the modulated infrared laser light.

 

Supports 12 channels of 32bit/768Khz PCM data with forward error correction or many more channels without. Supports up to 32bit/3Mhz 2 channel PCM data. Supports 8 channels of 16x native DSD. Support for data stream format extensions for future data formats. Simple mailbox style communication channel for misc information. Strong CRC based error detection for all data. The Pro USB uses just a subset of the complete capabilities of the Pro ISL interface so it is ready for future expansion.

 

The Pro USB is as easy to install and configure as any other of our USB interfaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JMSB said:

I’m from MSB Technology and I would like to share a few of the technical advantages the Pro ISL interface (and Pro USB) has over other digital audio interfaces. The only downsides of the Pro ISL interface are 2W of power consumption and compatibility only with MSB DACs.

 

DAC syncronous scrambled streaming data. Clocking of the data stream is syncronized to the DAC with a separate clock feedback link in a second fiber. Unlike block based protocols like Ethernet or USB, the Pro ISL interface does not generate electical noise in the audible band upon reception.

 

Strong forward error correction (optionally traded for more audio data channels) instantly corrects most errors including up to 1024 bit gaps in the audio data stream upon reception.

 

Very strong CRC based error detection (an HD8 CRC polynomial protects each 64 bits of audio data, an HD10 CRC polynomial for misc data). Allows quick identification of failing links and prevents playback of erroneous data.

 

Less than 10 milliseconds to lock to an active data stream.

 

Very low noise reception due to very low noise hardware decoding, data stream scrambling and balancing. Ethernet for example requires a complex operating system and usually an electrically noisy general purpose processor for reception and decoding. Ethernet, even optical Ethernet, also uses large asyncronous data blocks that generate much low frequency noise during decoding.

 

Perfect isolation from the non conductive single mode glass fiber.

 

Greater than 1km cable lengths are possible. Also no EMI radiation or conduction due to non conductive cabling. Cabling is safe safe to run anywhere because it is non conductive.

 

Much lower received jitter than any other digital audio interface. Cabling even at extreme lengths adds almost no jitter because single mode glass fiber cable has nearly zero dispersion and extreamly low attenuation of the modulated infrared laser light.

 

Supports 12 channels of 32bit/768Khz PCM data with forward error correction or many more channels without. Supports up to 32bit/3Mhz 2 channel PCM data. Supports 8 channels of 16x native DSD. Support for data stream format extensions for future data formats. Simple mailbox style communication channel for misc information. Strong CRC based error detection for all data. The Pro USB uses just a subset of the complete capabilities of the Pro ISL interface so it is ready for future expansion.

 

The Pro USB is as easy to install and configure as any other of our USB interfaces.

 

Thanks,

very interesting.

What about conversion from Ethernet to Pro ISL?

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Raimund Heubel said:

... yes but it is not the first of the kind of USB-to-Optical converter via fibre optical cables (FOCs)! Please take a look here or here.

 

Thx for the link, will investigate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I connect ultraRendu to MSB Pro USB, can ultraRendu provide 2W to power it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adyc said:

If I connect ultraRendu to MSB Pro USB, can ultraRendu provide 2W to power it? 

 

You should direct the question to @vortecjr

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 hours ago, Adyc said:

If I connect ultraRendu to MSB Pro USB, can ultraRendu provide 2W to power it? 

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...