IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

If you don’t upsample, your settings don’t do anything... same with sox

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

If you are not upsampling, does Direct Mode/Integer mode do anything?  Sorry but I am clueless with this stuff but just want to make sure my settings are not hurting me.

I have SoX selected with Custom set to no upsampling.  DIrect Mode is enabled with Integer Mode 1.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Yes direct mode and integer are working but not sox since you don’t upsample to anything

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

You don’t need to put settings to izotope or sox if not upsampling 😀

3 hours ago, Rezseeker said:

I have a Schiit multibit dac with Izotope settings and would also like SOX setting recommendations... or just Izotope as an option in 3.5.x

My settings for 3.2.x were: 

Steepness: 132

Filter Max: 500,000

Cutoff 1.00

Antialiasing 200

Pre-ringing 0.75

Forced upsamling: None

Thanks!

Hello.  I also have a Schiit DAC and am reading that it is best not to send anything to it upsampled.  Native is best.  Let it do the work that the upsampling software would do.  Not an expert on this business but am trying to get a grip on it.  So, I don't upsample either and thus the Izotope settings (and Sox) don't apply as I understand.  Cheers

13 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Damien - this is exactly why I stopped using A+.  Complete, stress-inducing BS.

Your failure to retain any possible identifiers that would prove you actually purchased the product is someone else's "BS" that they should straighten out? And it has anything whatever to do with why you stopped using it? C'mon.

Apologies in advance for causing what will probably be an argument in this Audirvana thread. My fault, and *not* attributable to Audirvana or Damien.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@OldBigEars agree with @jimdukey lighten up all you have to do is go to Audirvana on their web page click support ask your question for your 'KEY'-I got my response and 'KEY' almost immediately try that with ROON and you would wait days and for everyone else if you just 'KISS' like my system everything works just fine no slowness(like ROON) or flywheels or crashes and the SQ is marvelous as is the GUI

6 hours ago, Marten said:

Version 3.5 came to early as official version.

hmh... not sure. For me it worked pretty well from the very begining. Small bugs are "okay"... at least nothing I would complain about.

What is not "okay", IMHO, is to change the processing pipeline (the order of processing steps that is) without telling us.

As a long time user of Audirvana I would expect that an update doesn't change the processing order ... but I somehow felt something changed and this is why I've asked Damien. Now, with the new order of processing steps there is no way to apply Dither after upsampling (in case we use upsampling to high rate PCM) ... and we are left with truncation distortion and without any option to fix this by ourselfs (the new processing order makes it impossible to apply a Dither plugin after SRC).

Dither is such a basic (and important) feature and I really cant' believe Audirvana doesn't provide decent Dither options. Turns Audirvana from a great product into an unusable amateurish product. Well, maybe it applies Dither "under the hood" ... but by now we don't know since Damien doesn't tell us.

Luckily 3.2.16 is still running ...

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

2 hours ago, Deedle said:

Hello.  I also have a Schiit DAC and am reading that it is best not to send anything to it upsampled.  Native is best.  Let it do the work that the upsampling software would do.  Not an expert on this business but am trying to get a grip on it.  So, I don't upsample either and thus the Izotope settings (and Sox) don't apply as I understand.  Cheers

In 3.5 put that at deactivated, no menu will appear

does anyone know why the new A+3.5 page shows 24/0 kHz Stereo MQA in lower left corner instead of saying 24/192 or 24/176  like when playing non MQA through my ME2 DAC? the left lower corner says FLAC MQA 24/96 kHz Stereo RG -2.2 dB both corners show either blue or green LED when playing MQA music as does my DAC.

Of course on my Gungnir it just shows 24/16, 24/48 or 24/96(no MQA) in the left side and always 176 in right lower corner. SQ seems alright just wondering why it shows 24/0 kHz.

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

hmh... not sure. For me it worked pretty well from the very begining. Small bugs are "okay"... at least nothing I would complain about.

What is not "okay", IMHO, is to change the processing pipeline (the order of processing steps that is) without telling us.

As a long time user of Audirvana I would expect that an update doesn't change the processing order ... but I somehow felt something changed and this is why I've asked Damien. Now, with the new order of processing steps there is no way to apply Dither after upsampling (in case we use upsampling to high rate PCM) ... and we are left with truncation distortion and without any option to fix this by ourselfs (the new processing order makes it impossible to apply a Dither plugin after SRC).

Dither is such a basic (and important) feature and I really cant' believe Audirvana doesn't provide decent Dither options. Turns Audirvana from a great product into an unusable amateurish product. Well, maybe it applies Dither "under the hood" ... but by now we don't know since Damien doesn't tell us.

Luckily 3.2.16 is still running ...

I’m unclear why a software developer  should tell us every internal change he has made. As for your concerns surely the proof of the pudding is in the eating: does the latest version sound better or worse than the previous? If better, or the same, what does it matter what changes have been made? However If the new version sounds worse, and there is clearly an issue and that would need reporting to Damien and in the meantime reverting to the last good version. And if Audirvana does sound good, as indeed it does, If that is without dither, then ckearly for not having dither doesn’t mean the program is rubbish ! Apologies if somewhere I have misunderstood your point.

Mac Mini - late 2012: core i5/2.5GHz/16GB/2x1TB SSDs/El Capitan, headless - Audirvana optimised, dedicated USB bus - USB Regen - Chord Dave DAC - tri-amped with Bryston amps - PMC/ATC speaker combo. (Detail in my profile.)

Just updated to 3.5.# (well, installed in parallel with 3.2.# just in case)... seamless transition in my case (I have no personal libraries, just streaming via Qobuz).  Using 3.2.# I preferred Izotope, with 3.5.# SoX seems to deliver a much clearer output, to my ears anyway.

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

18 minutes ago, Joerg D said:

I also have the 3.5 installed without problems. The sound has also gotten better. The GUI I like much better, the operation is good.
Many thanks to Damien

The sound and the GUI is ok, But my problem is the synching of the files from my NAS. There is something wrong in 3.5, that’s why I use 2.6 at the moment.

iMac 24 GB - Macbook Pro 8 GB - Sonos Sound system - 4x Sonos Play3 - Playbar - Sonos Amp 2020 - Audirvana via Airplay to Sonos.
Audirvana 3.5* on iMac, Iphone and Ipad

sonos-amp.jpg

@bobbmd: I have deleted all AV versions and freshly installed 3.5.5. However, synching doesn't work (approx. 50% of my library is being ignored). Up and until 3.2.X everything went smoothly.  

Synology Rackstation NAS > 2012 MacMini SSD 16GB RAM > Audirvana Plus > Ayon Stratos > Ayon Helios > Marten Miles V

10 hours ago, fourstrings1891 said:

That has unfortunately been the case for a long time. New versions/functions are rushed out before being thoroughly tested. 

So you're aware of the amount of testing done.  Please tell me how many people tested the private and public beta versions for how long a period then.

The number of variations of hardware and software environments the player must work in is uncountable.  It would be mind-boggling if there weren't any situations where things might go wrong that were not discovered during the extensive beta testing.  It happens to major corporations with hundreds of developers, and it surely happens in a program with a single main developer.

Should you be happy with bugs? Of course not. Help fix them by providing good, thorough bug reports.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, Deedle said:

Schiit is quite proud of their upsampling filters. But you can try both external upsampling with Audirvana and internal upsampling with your DAC if you care to, and see what sounds better to you.

8 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

As a long time user of Audirvana I would expect that an update doesn't change the processing order ... but I somehow felt something changed and this is why I've asked Damien. 

Hi c of a - Was it simply an unconfirmed feeling, or was there something more concrete?

Hello all - New to the forum here,

I upgraded to 3.54 a couple of days ago (now on 3.5.6).  Everything went well including synching of all music files.  So I've been testing everything, and so far I've found two minor problems that seem to be bugs.

1)   When you create a filter and keep the "Add Filter" column open, and then swap between Albums and Tracks the lefthand column (with Library, Playlists, etc.) gets squeezed up and you have to manually readjust the column size (even when you delete the filter). Note if you close the "Add Filter" column before you swap between Albums and Tracks then it seems to work okay.

2)  When saving an Audio Units preset if you save to type "Local" the following error message comes up:

1967339935_ScreenShot2019-05-01at8_17_30PM.thumb.png.24d139cb732cfe55071c1c87ee32c61b.png 

These are just very minor problems but they are repeatable on my system.  Perhaps someone else can verify on their system. Sorry if these have already been reported.

Thanks            

MacBook Pro (w/Audirvana) > ifi micro iUSB3.0 > Chord Qutest > Violectric HPA V280 > Ether C Flow 1.1 

11 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Yes direct mode and integer are working but not sox since you don’t upsample to anything

Okay thanks, I checked my settings and I already had upsampling disabled as I read that with Chord DAC's it does not make sense so there I have it.  Thank you for the Direct Mode instructions too.  Was easy and fast.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

9 hours ago, jimdukey said:

One thing I've learned, there's no possible way I would come up with a Product and sell it

over the Internet

Or post on Facebook or Twitter.

Too many nut cases out there.

And they are ALL Experts.

Amazing.

The difficulty there is to see the real experts from the nuts  :)

Speaking for me, copy_of_a as always been very responsive and help full with plugins choices and upsampling in A+ for details about Izotope, may times he helped people here and other threads...

i also think that Damien should not be alone now after being released on PC platform and now finally with 3.5 on Mac... He is too big now to be little  :)