IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

If you like it, the trick still works In Mojave 10.14.3 with A+ 3.5b11

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

15 hours ago, Jud said:

My reading indicates the Oppo supports input rates up to DSD512.  If that's correct, I would try upsampling to DSD256 (maximum available with Apple equipment feeding the DAC), if the iMac can handle it.  If it can, try the B8, B7, or C modulator.  If it can't, upsample to the maximum PCM rate available (I believe 384kHz with the iMac).

For Sox settings, you can see whether adjusting pre-ringing up or down from the default sounds better.  I also personally like to adjust the filter length as short as possible, but you may find it doesn't make a particle of difference.

I'd suggest leaving the other settings at default.

Jud, thanks so much for taking your time to research my issue. I followed your advice and seems to sound great. The OPPO205 DaC section has an "Up-sample DAC input" that I leave it on, I tried off but I do not think I can hear any difference.  Nevertheless I am wondering if the Audirvana is already upsampling to DSD256 and the Oppo is upsampling too the input coming from the Audirvana,  is this double upsampling too much or redundant??. Once again thanks

6 minutes ago, jorgitok said:

Jud, thanks so much for taking your time to research my issue. I followed your advice and seems to sound great. The OPPO205 DaC section has an "Up-sample DAC input" that I leave it on, I tried off but I do not think I can hear any difference.  Nevertheless I am wondering if the Audirvana is already upsampling to DSD256 and the Oppo is upsampling too the input coming from the Audirvana,  is this double upsampling too much or redundant??. Once again thanks

DACs don't upsample DSD, so if you send DSD256, the DAC won't touch it with any upsampling filters, just convert it to analog at the final analog filter stage.  (In some sense this is "upsampling," since analog has an infinite number of "samples." :) But it's not what people mean when they talk about upsampling.)

Edit: There is also a filter to remove the ultrasonic DSD noise.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

33 minutes ago, Jud said:

DACs don't upsample DSD, so if you send DSD256, the DAC won't touch it with any upsampling filters, just convert it to analog at the final analog filter stage.  (In some sense this is "upsampling," since analog has an infinite number of "samples." :) But it's not what people mean when they talk about upsampling.)

Once again, thanks so much for your help and patience. Have a good weekend

Hello all,

Wondering if anybody on a Mac Mini with no screen attached, using Apple Screen Sharing
is able to put A+ in his login items, and see it filling the screen when open after a restart ?

Mine opens like first image, but i have to ALT with green button, to have it like before filling the screen
like a want it in picture 2. All that was possible and still is with 3.2.16 on Mojave.

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 23.18.19.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 23.15.12.png

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

It should be going public beta... real real soon  :)

On 3/23/2019 at 6:51 AM, Jud said:

I have a DirectStream Junior DAC which, to my understanding, upsamples everything to DSD 1024.  I asked Ted Smith this question, and maybe I misunderstood the answer, but to my knowledge he said that the DSJ (and DirectStream Senior) do what they do regardless of what is sent to them DSD or PCM.  I was asking in reference to HQPlayer.

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

I have a DirectStream Junior DAC which, to my understanding, upsamples everything to DSD 1024.  I asked Ted Smith this question, and maybe I misunderstood the answer, but to my knowledge he said that the DSJ (and DirectStream Senior) do what they do regardless of what is sent to them DSD or PCM.  I was asking in reference to HQPlayer.

The DS upsamples all PCM or DSD to 28,224 MHz.

The maximum DSD input is DSD128.

IMO, it is not a good match for software upsampling (A+ or HQP).

https://www.psaudio.com/directstream-dac/

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

Thanks. I should know better than to make blanket statements, because there is always an exception.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, Jud said:

The filter to remove the ultrasonic DSD noise is in Audirvana?

4 hours ago, jorgitok said:

The filter to remove the ultrasonic DSD noise is in Audirvana?

It's in the DAC.  Sorry for not making that clear.

Part of conversion to DSD is "noise shaping," which pushes noise higher in the ultrasonic band. The DAC then has a filter which removes this noise.

Surely have a link here 😀

1 hour ago, damien78 said:

Here it is !!

The public beta is now available!

great - looks good at first glance! looking forward to testing it!

First question: will iZotope SRC be back?

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

Just now, AudioDoctor said:

Giving it a go now, has Direct Mode disappeared?

Not at all, but you need to have the right kernel extension from El Capitan

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

I may use A+ different than most folks.

Up until this beta, I would just find the file folder of flacs that I wanted to play and just drag the folder from my external hard drive to the A+ icon in the dock - the flacs in the folder would load automatically and start to play. Simple. (I don't maintain a library on A+ and just drag the folders (or individual flac files) as I need them.)

When I try that with a folder with the beta, I am getting this error message: "The document “Kenny Wheeler - Deer Wan (1978) [2016_HDTracks 24-192]” could not be opened. Audirvana Plus cannot open files in the “folder” format."

When I try to just drag a drop a single flac file, same (failed) result: The document “10 - You've Got To Stand For Something.flac” could not be opened. Audirvana Plus cannot open files in the “FLAC audio” format.

If this is true, that may be a deal killer for me. But probably I am just stupid. How do I play folders full of flac files or individual flac files now? Is drag and drop no longer an option.

I also tried dragging the folders/files into the play cue window - that still works on the A+ 3, but not the beta, it seems.

Please advise.

Thanks!

I am on a Mac (Mojave 10.14.4).

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer