IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

I have a DirectStream Junior DAC which, to my understanding, upsamples everything to DSD 1024.  I asked Ted Smith this question, and maybe I misunderstood the answer, but to my knowledge he said that the DSJ (and DirectStream Senior) do what they do regardless of what is sent to them DSD or PCM.  I was asking in reference to HQPlayer.

The DS upsamples all PCM or DSD to 28,224 MHz.

The maximum DSD input is DSD128.

IMO, it is not a good match for software upsampling (A+ or HQP).

https://www.psaudio.com/directstream-dac/

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 hours ago, rruffin said:

Anyone experimenting with the SOX setting in 3.5? Kinda feel lost without my old iZotope filters...

Someone on the Audirvana FB page is very happy with these settings:

Bandwidth 94,5%

Max. length 24000

Anti aliasing 100%

Filter phase 75

BTW, the feedback on the Audirvana FB page regarding SoX sound quality seems to be much more positive than here.

Matt

24 minutes ago, Jud said:

When you train yourself listening to something for years, then something else that sounds different may sound wrong.  Just raising that as a possibility.

Agree,

maybe there is just a little bit time and fine tuning needed to get even better results with SoX than izotope.

IMO, the four SoX settings make more sense than the five izotope settings.

Matt

2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Any comments on the 3.5 sound signature?  Any changes from previous versions?

Besides here you find some on the Audirvana FB page.

Matt

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

Do Audio Units work on DSD files?  I realize there's no real time usage with DSD, but do the AU's otherwise work with DSD?

Wave Arts Tube Saturator for example is extremely CPU intensive and works up to 192kHz depending on the CPU you use.

When combining Audirvana with WATS you have two softwares which are CPU intensive, not sure if this is a good idea.

Matt

1 hour ago, damien78 said:

Yes. We are in the process of updating the web site before announcing the release.

One suggestion for the web site:

Please, can you provide the manual of the latest version of Audirvana on the site?

At the moment there is the manual of 3.0 on the site only.

Thank you.

Matt

12 minutes ago, Jud said:

Won't make any claims regarding audible differences, but to some extent higher orders measure better than lower, and B measures better than A.  C is supposed to be identical to B7.

Thank you,

but a more extensive description from @mansr or @damien78 would be helpful.

Matt

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

@mansr has already provided extensive measurements. Considering where the noise levels are (with many of the modulators, -120dB or lower as I recall), I don't know if he would be offering descriptions of the sound.  If I have time, I will look for his forum posts with the measurements, unless someone beats me to it.

I am not looking for descriptions of the sound but how the three groups of modulators compare technically, how does A compare to B and to C.

Matt

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

The measurements will tell you that very precisely, though as I mentioned, my recollection is that B measures better than A, higher order (larger number) modulators generally measure better than lower order, and C is the same as B7.

You mean these?

• 3 months later...
On 7/24/2019 at 4:51 AM, AudioDoctor said:

It probably is, the T2 chip, other than being a security feature, also takes the place of a lot of previous discrete controllers on the board, one of which is the audio controller. This "feature" is why I moved to network functionality rather than direct USB.

Is there also an increase in SQ when moving from direct USB to network functionality with Audirvana?

Thanks

Matt

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, biosailor said:

I am streaming Audirvana from my Mac Mini to a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ropieee XL that is then connected to my Devialet Expert 120. Works like a charm (BTW the Raspi is FED with the new Shanti LPS). Since I like the sound so much, I am thinking of investing into Allo‘s new USBridge Signature. Does anyone know of the USBridge Sig will run properly with Ropieee XL? Thanks for any input!

Please ask this question at the USBridge Signature thread in the sponsored Allo section of this forum.

Matt

12 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Just ordered a USBridge Signature Player, will let you know how it works once it arrives! I‘m curious to see if the SQ of the USBridge beats the Raspi 4. 

I am very curious too about your impressions.

Please post in the USBridge Signature thread (Allo section).

Thanks

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

@damien78 and other Audirvana experts

Does Mac/Audirvana work in UPnP mode in the following settings?

1.) Mac: "Internet Sharing" in "System Preferences" is selected.

2.) Mac: The input is Qobuz streaming via WiFi.

3.) Mac: The output is one of the Thunderbolt ports with a direct connection of a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and then wired ethernet to a UPnP network player either a device from Sonore or the new Allo USBridge Signature with MoOde Audio as an UPnP renderer and output to an USB DAC.

Thank you:)

Matt

1 hour ago, Jud said:

What is the precise setup for #2? My MacBook Pro accesses the network by Wi-Fi. It has Audirvana running on it, and I have my Qobuz account connected in Audirvana settings. It works fine. Is that what you mean, or something different?

Jud,

yes from the input it is the same.

The output should be via Audirvana UPnP with a direct connection from MBP to an UPnP network player.

There is a thread on the Sonore section about "Internet Sharing":

@hytechrednek reported in this thread that the direct connection from Mac to the device offers better SQ.

The question is if this works with Audirvana via UPnP to non-Sonore UPnP devices as well.

Matt

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I notice in the thread you linked that @rickca was having trouble getting this to work with a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter. Wonder if he ever got it working? Have you been able to get this to work with a Sonore device?

At the end of this thread I asked @vortecjr and @barrows if it works with Sonore devices but I did not get a definitive answer.

So I placed this question in the Audirvana thread because @damien78 should be able to answer this topic.

Matt

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

Wow, Jud ... that was more than 3 years ago!  I never did get it working. 

The question is why?

When someone connects a Thunderbolt dock with Ethernet output to a MBP it is about the same as a direct Ethernet output.

Maybe @damien78 can chime in?

Matt

1 minute ago, Jud said:

I'm just wondering if there is something in the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter that prevents this from working. Have you tried with just an Ethernet cable?

It is all about buying decisions. The new MBP have Thunderbolt outputs only. So before buying all the devices I should know if it works.

Matt

2 hours ago, mazuly said:

Well I tried connecting my Mac mini to microRendu directly through ethernet and enabling internet sharing on my Mac and could not do it.

Having said that, I am really not that good in manual network setup and maybe network connection need to be setup manually.

Thanks,

would be really nice if @damien78 can give some advice.

Matt

14 hours ago, Jud said:

My MacBook Pro accesses the network by Wi-Fi. It has Audirvana running on it, and I have my Qobuz account connected in Audirvana settings. It works fine. Is that what you mean, or something different?

Jud,

can you please shed some light on your set-up with your MBP/Audirvana when you get Qobuz via WiFi to your MBP?

Do you listen then via USB out of the MBP or if not how is your MBP then connected to your system?

Thanks

Matt

@stefano_mbp

I configured the DNS address of the ethernet-thunderbolt connection with the router address (my router address is 10.0.1.1), 

Is this the address of your router where you get your WIFI from?

Thank you very much for trying.

Did you check the SQ as well, there are reports that the SQ seems to be better this way?

Matt

On 11/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, stefano_mbp said:

Yes, it is the router from where I get the WiFi connection, didn’t tried SQ ... you are welcome 

Stefano,

if you have time please share your impressions about SQ of the "internet sharing" configuration.

Thanks

Matt