IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

Everything was working fine for me up through 3.5.12.  That all changed when I upgraded to 3.5.15 today.  Now any track I select plays audio for about 90 seconds and then the audio basically quits.  The progress bar still shows the track being played and randomly about every 15-45 seconds about 1 second of audio is sent to the DAC through the end of the track.  So on the screen everything looks fine, but audio output is basically nill after 90 seconds.  This happens for every artist/track I've selected.

Any idea on what might be happening and how I might be able to solve it?  As I mentioned, everything was working great through version 3.5.12.  I didn't upgrade to 3.5.13 or 3.5.14, so I don't know exactly what version this behavior would have started for my system.

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

On 7/19/2019 at 9:04 AM, audiocanyon said:

Everything was working fine for me up through 3.5.12.  That all changed when I upgraded to 3.5.15 today.  Now any track I select plays audio for about 90 seconds and then the audio basically quits. 

I increased the memory for A+ and rebooted my MacMini.  Problem solved.  Working and sounding great again.  Why didn't I reboot to begin with you wonder..... I have no idea.

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is probably a really dumb question. When I select a playlist on my mac, there is a "select all" link that plays all of the albums/tracks in my playlis, and I can randomize them if I choose.  On my iphone remote, I haven't figured out how to "select all" for a selected playlist.  Is this possible?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Serpieri said:

The only way to select all from within the remote at the moment is to change your view from album to song list using the icon in the upper right of the screen.  You will see the option near the bottom within the list presented by pressing the ellipsis.

Thanks Serpieri!  I just tried it and .....SUCCESS!

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2019 at 5:53 AM, RunHomeSlow said:

Direct Mode Enable in Catalina with latest Audirvana.

I have change my text a bit to make it more clear, and add some pictures before and after the change. Here is the new link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqeai0fs8m5o5ey/AudirvanaCatalinaDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Thanks RunHome Slow!  I haven't upgraded to Catalina yet, but I've successfully used your direct mode instructions in the past and appreciate you updating them in case I do upgrade to Catalina in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I must have missed a few comments and was surprised to hear Direct Mode is no longer working with El Capitan - did I hear that correctly?  I'm using the Sierra OS and the Integer Mode is still indicated as "On".  Does Direct and Integer modes still work with Sierra with the IOAudioFamily-ElCapitan.kext file installed?

• 2 weeks later...

That is GREAT news. Hopefully it's not a fluke...

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this 12/31/2019 post by Damien in the Audirvana forum -

"Hello @Monty-SE, there is no difference between MacOS or Windows 10 version of Audirvana. The choice only remain in the OS you are used to and the one you prefer but in the case of sound quality with Audirvana you’ll get the same result with either of them"

I can understand this statement from the software perspective, but I'm curious if windows hardware has the same quality of audio signal processing that a Mac does, especially when considering the Direct Mode audio path.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 4:39 AM, lucretius said:

Windows users use either a WASAPI or ASIO driver for communication with a DAC/sound card. In exclusive mode, both WASAPI and ASIO drivers provide exclusive access and deliver an unmodified bit-stream to the sound device, bypassing the Windows system mixer (which can alter bits). In this case, the operating system has no effect on the quality of audio.  OTOH, use of a PC motherboard's onboard audio chip can have a negative effect on audio quality (it depends on the implementation); nonetheless, anyone serious about audio will not use the onboard audio chip -- external DACs are the preference followed by dedicated sound cards.

Thanks for the response.  I've got both Mac and Windows available so I might try Audirvana for Windows on laptop direct to my DAC and see if I can tell any difference.  I've been enjoying Audirvana with Direct mode on my Mac for a few years, but am always interested in tweaking audio quality. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, DonaldM said:

I have been using Audirvana for several years and I never liked the way it handled the meta data. The best thing to do is buy a little program named Yate and handle the meta data there.

I haven't used Yale so I can't comment on it, but I downloaded the free version of Metadatics a couple years ago and it's been a fairly powerful and easy to use tool for editing metadata.

• 6 months later...

Ok, this is a rookie question for sure.  On my phone remote I view my library by artist, and a album image appears to the left of each artist.  On my mac-mini, i've been viewing my library by album, each album dislays its image above the artist's name, so i can get to what i want right away.  Last week, i decided to view my library on my mac-mini by artist instead of album.  The library displayed the artists by name, but no image is displayed above each artist's name.  I was expecting a similar image for each artist the way i see it on my phone remote, but instead there's an empty black circle.

Is this normal, or am I missing a setup somewhere?

So is what I'm seeing on my mac-mini in library artist display mode, the black empty circles above the artist names, is normal?

My library is on my mac-mini, i'm not streaming anything.  I'll try rebuilding.. Thanks.

Rebuilding and defragging had no effect.  Does anyone else have any ideas on how to get my album image to show up in the library when "artist" is selected?

• 4 months later...

What's the best way for me to completely uninstall Audirvana 3.5.xx, including all of the associated configuration files?  I can't get album covers to show up in "Artist" library display mode and am wondering if a complete uninstall and reinstall may solve the problem.

• 4 months later...

This is probably a dumb question, but can I use the Android phone remote to access and play music from a mac installation of 3.5x?