IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

@damien78 Great work! First impressions are:

- wonderful UI, now very close to Remote app

- too early for a solid sound impression, but there is more “air” ... great!

something to be addressed

- using filters on the right sometimes A+ crash ... it happens randomly 

- smart playlists are now missing the option to group some criteria, previously available with Alt key

- it seems that the search results are limited to tracks, albums, artists, composers ... no more all fields as before (“ensemble” for example)

and last but not least ... why not add the year tag in the filters?

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, damien78 said:

Thanks, and it is not just an impression :)

Filters: can you send me by PM the crash report? And if possible the steps to reproduce it?

Group in smart playlists: can you elaborate?

Search results: ensemble results are in the artists category, as before. What's new is when browsing the artists in your library, you can filter to view only the album artists, performers, ensembles, composers

Good point for Year.

It is now a criteria for filters. You'll get it with beta 17 released later today

@damien78

attached you can find

- an example of playlist configuration from A+ 3.2.16 (smart playlist.jpg)

- the crash report from macOS (audirvana crash.rtf.zip)

- the debug info from A+ 3.4.99 (debug info.rtf.zip)

You are right about search result. I use Yate to fill metadata and I fill the ensemble field with Minnesota Orchestra, for instance. As you are explaining up to .... sometime (I never noticed when) the ensemble value was written in the artist field too (and then searchable) but from sometime it is not written anymore in the artist field. I can see it in the artist list but not in the search results.

to better explain see the attached files:

ensemble.zip containing

- ensemble 3.4.99.jpeg

- ensemble 3.2.16.jpeg

- ensemble Yate.jpeg

smart playlist.jpg

audirvana crash.rtf.zip debug info.rtf.zip ensemble.zip

Stefano

My audio system

1 minute ago, stefano_mbp said:

@damien78

attached you can find

- an example of playlist configuration from A+ 3.2.16 (smart playlist.jpg)

- the crash report from macOS (audirvana crash.rtf.zip)

- the debug info from A+ 3.4.99 (debug info.rtf.zip)

You are right about search result. I use Yate to fill metadata and I fill the ensemble field with Minnesota Orchestra, for instance. As you are explaining up to .... sometime (I never noticed when) the ensemble value was written in the artist field too (and then searchable) but from sometime it is not written anymore in the artist field. I can see it in the artist list but not in the search results.

to better explain see the attached files:

ensemble.zip containing

- ensemble 3.4.99.jpeg

- ensemble 3.2.16.jpeg

- ensemble Yate.jpeg

smart playlist.jpg

audirvana crash.rtf.zip 23.66 kB · 0 downloads debug info.rtf.zip 2.51 kB · 0 downloads ensemble.zip 94.25 kB · 0 downloads

... about the crash: I selected a Conductor then erased the filter selecting All Conductors ... crash

Stefano

My audio system

@damien78

2 problems detected:

some of my albums contain more than one composer, in this case I fill the album artist with the name of each track composer

The behavior of A+ 3.2.16 and previous releases was to split the tracks grouping them for each album artist

In A+ 3.4.99 if the album artists in each album are more then two the behavior is the same but if they are just two the whole album is grouped under the last/second album artist

example:

track 1 “Claude Debussy” (composer), “Debussy, Claude” (album artist)

track 2 “Claude Debussy” (composer), “Debussy, Claude” (album artist)

track 3 “Claude Debussy” (composer), “Debussy, Claude” (album artist)

track 4 “Maurice Ravel” (composer), “Ravel, Maurice” (album artist)

In A+ 3.4.99 in this case the whole album is listed under “Ravel, Maurice”

In A+ 3.2.16 tracks 1-3 were listed under “Debussy, Claude” and track 4 under “Ravel, Maurice”

I cannot find a “rule”, it happens that sometimes, using filters, the artwork of some album is the wrong one, clicking on it to open the track list the artwork change to the right one

Stefano

My audio system

On 4/3/2019 at 5:50 PM, stefano_mbp said:

@damien78

2 problems detected:

some of my albums contain more than one composer, in this case I fill the album artist with the name of each track composer

The behavior of A+ 3.2.16 and previous releases was to split the tracks grouping them for each album artist

In A+ 3.4.99 if the album artists in each album are more then two the behavior is the same but if they are just two the whole album is grouped under the last/second album artist

example:

track 1 “Claude Debussy” (composer), “Debussy, Claude” (album artist)

track 2 “Claude Debussy” (composer), “Debussy, Claude” (album artist)

track 3 “Claude Debussy” (composer), “Debussy, Claude” (album artist)

track 4 “Maurice Ravel” (composer), “Ravel, Maurice” (album artist)

In A+ 3.4.99 in this case the whole album is listed under “Ravel, Maurice”

In A+ 3.2.16 tracks 1-3 were listed under “Debussy, Claude” and track 4 under “Ravel, Maurice”

I cannot find a “rule”, it happens that sometimes, using filters, the artwork of some album is the wrong one, clicking on it to open the track list the artwork change to the right one

@damien78

after some troubles, A+ 3.4.99.17 freezed during some test whit filters, I restarted from 0. Deleted db, preferences and application. Then reinstalled 3.4.99.16 and migrated the db, at last updated to 3.4.99.17 and the 2 problems are gone (!!!), I suppose something went wrong during migration.

.... but ... the random crash using filters is still there

Stefano

My audio system

16 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

@damien78

after some troubles, A+ 3.4.99.17 freezed during some test whit filters, I restarted from 0. Deleted db, preferences and application. Then reinstalled 3.4.99.16 and migrated the db, at last updated to 3.4.99.17 and the 2 problems are gone (!!!), I suppose something went wrong during migration.

.... but ... the random crash using filters is still there

@damien78

... the problem about wrong Album Artist is here again, I added one album and suddenly all the albums with two different Album Artist in the tracks are grouped again under the last one Album Artist (but if I check the tracks with Yate there are still two different Album Artist)

You can find attached the same album as appears in A+ 3.2.16 and A+ 3.4.99.17

debussy-ravel - A+ 3.2.16.jpeg

debussy-ravel.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

On 4/5/2019 at 2:36 PM, stefano_mbp said:

@damien78

... the problem about wrong Album Artist is here again, I added one album and suddenly all the albums with two different Album Artist in the tracks are grouped again under the last one Album Artist (but if I check the tracks with Yate there are still two different Album Artist)

You can find attached the same album as appears in A+ 3.2.16 and A+ 3.4.99.17

debussy-ravel - A+ 3.2.16.jpeg

debussy-ravel.jpeg

@damien78

... I did some tests:

if all tracks with different Album Artist are in the same folder then the last Album Artist is used to group the album (the one of the last track)

if I split the tracks in two different folders, one for each Album Artist, then two different Album Artists are displayed under the right Album Artist group and the two albums, if I check metadata in A+, have each one the right Album Artist displayed

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, damien78 said:

That's correct, 3.5 now takes the folder into account when grouping tracks into albums.

This fixes the issue of the "Greatest Hits" and other albums with same title, and same album artist, or none that were wrongly merged.

When album artist is missing from the album tracks, the one that is common to 3/4th of the album tracks is picked as album artist.

@damien78

thank you for making this clear ... then "some" work to do to modify album folders according to Album Artist ... it's a hobby ... 

other problems

1) still crashing when selecting some filters

- I selected one Genre, then one Composer ... crash, reopened A+ and selected one more Composer, ok, deselected one of the   Composers ... crash

2) Smart playlists: I can enter a new smart playlist, it works, but if I try to change it no criteria is displayed (see the attached image)

change Smart playlist.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

14 minutes ago, damien78 said:

Playing like a charm with those settings on the 3 macs here

Quite weird.

Has anyone else tried legacy iZotope?

Just tried iZotope: cannot play anything, the error is.... see attached image

the settings are the same as RunHomeSlow, oversampling power of two, the dac is in my signature 

iZotope error.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

14 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

For me “date added” too and “date modified”

tomorrow I’ll test beta.20 for the crash

@damien78

installed beta.20

a) ... still crashing with filters (selected one Genre then one Composer .... crash), attached the crash report

b) the smart playlists with Added Date  and Last Modified Date still do not hold settings (but they work)

c) If I click on the play button/icon of an album nothing happens, I must open the album and click the play button of the first track

d) Still not working with iZotope settings, same error as reported previously

crash beta.20.rtf

Stefano

My audio system

2 hours ago, damien78 said:

b) fixed in beta 21 I'm releasing this morning

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the others

Can you send me your library database file so it can help me reproduce this issue?

It is the file AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite located in ~/Library/Application Support/Audirvana
To access ~/Library with the Finder, you can use its Go menu while pressing the option (or alt) key. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu.

You'd probably need to use a file transfer service as it will be too large for email.

@damien78

just installed beta 21

a) still uploading on Google drive (3.04GB ....) As soon synchronized I'll send you the link

b) smart playlists with Added Date and Last Modified Date can now be edited and settings are hold 

b.1) new. smart playlist using "contain" criteria work random (if I set "Intrument" "contain" "Arpa" it work and display the right results but if set "Instrument" "contain" "Clavicembalo" it do not work and 0 results are displayed)

c) the problem occurs from the main Library window, if I'm in a subset from some search option (i.e. all Elgar, Edward albums then it work in the right way

d) still not working

a) ... still crashing with filters (selected one Genre then one Composer .... crash), attached the crash report

b) the smart playlists with Added Date  and Last Modified Date still do not hold settings (but they work)

c) If I click on the play button/icon of an album nothing happens, I must open the album and click the play button of the first track

d) Still not working with iZotope settings, same error as reported previously

Stefano

My audio system

@damien78

hello Damien,

as already reported, there is a problem with metadata search in 3.5: some Ensembles are not displayed in Search results.

I've just added a new album in which the Ensemble is "Insula Orchestra", as you can see in the attached images "Insula Orchestra" is  listed in Ensemble and Artist but the search result is null (... but it is listed in the Ensemble filter)

This happens with other Ensembles (some of them)

Browsing Audirvana DB with DB Browser for SQLite I could find that "Insula Orchestra" is checked as "is_ensemble" but not as "is_performer". I could find that other ensembles not checked as "is_performer" give null result in Search view ....

Going on in my research I could find that many ensembles appear in Artist track metadata too (I don't know why as I never fill Artist with ensemble name. I always, and only, put it in the Ensemble field) and they are listed in search results.

It should be noted that my Audirvana DB was migrated through the various versions of Audirvana starting from March 2014

I forgot to mention that the same ensemble is listed in search results with A+ 3.2.16 ...

Audirvana_metadata.jpeg

audirvana_search.jpeg

audirvana_db_browse.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

21 minutes ago, Nico said:

Audirvana collects the content of the fields "ensemble" and "soloist" in "artists". Unfortunately I must say. This feature exists since version 3 I guess. There are many controversal discussions about this feature earlier in this forum.

If you look inside the file with a tagging app you will see, that Audirvana does not wright the content in "artist" - it's just indicated. HTH.

Using Yate I can see the ensemble name inside the Artist field, not always btw.

I can remember that in some A+ 2.x.x versions the application (A+) was copying the ensemble in the artist field. I sent Damien a message about this behavior. It doesn’t happen anymore....

just found when it happened... A+ 2.5.99.12, November 2016 ... the Soloist content too was added to the Artist field

Stefano

My audio system

48 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Using Yate I can see the ensemble name inside the Artist field, not always btw.

I can remember that in some A+ 2.x.x versions the application (A+) was copying the ensemble in the artist field. I sent Damien a message about this behavior. It doesn’t happen anymore....

just found when it happened... A+ 2.5.99.12, November 2016 ... the Soloist content too was added to the Artist field

I did some more in-depth tests.

If you use the Audirvana metadata editor then the contents of the Ensemble and Solista fields are copied, written, into the Artist field. In fact so it turns out if I go to see the contents of the fields with Yate.
So the behavior of the application since version 2.5.99.12 has not changed.
But in this version (3.5.1) for the value of the Ensemble field the database "is_performer" flag is not updated to 1, so it is not shown in the search results ... this what I suppose

Stefano

My audio system

5 hours ago, Orko said:

Hi Damien, thank you for the new release. It’s looking and sounding great! However, I’m having a couple of issues with the iPad remote app:

1. The first 100 or so album covers are loading in the remote app Browser view but the rest aren’t. I have a large library (4500+ albums) and I thought it would simply need a little time to show all the covers but even after leaving it overnight, I find no progress. I’ve tried deleting and adding the library again and also a fresh install, but that hasn’t worked either. This is only happening in the remote app; on the Mac, the album covers show up fine. 

2. In the remote app Browser view, the side scroller that shows the alphabet is garbled. I cannot see A B C, etc, just scrambled gibberish. 

I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the remote app but that hasn’t worked. I’m using an iPad Pro 2nd Generation and a Mac Mini 2012. This is only happening with the new version; I checked with the earlier version and the remote app still works as expected. 

@damien78

here some Remote App problems too (iPad 5gen 128GB iOS 12.2) :

1) I can see all my albums (my library is +10K albums) but loading time i very long, about 25 second for the first display then 10 seconds every two pages (having displayed 5 albums/raw they are 40 albums more or less). Going back and forth is slow too as it seems previously loaded albums are "forgotten" (maybe a too small buffer?) then they are reloaded again. Scrolling and going back and forth make the spinning ball appear on the macOS Audirvana application and mac CPU go up to 179%

This behavior is without playing anything, in Browser view and Albums view

2) it happened to me too but now I cannot reproduce it. It seemed the series of alphabet letters were displayed multiple times overlapping each other

BTW my crash problem with filters on A 3.5.4 is still there ....

Stefano

My audio system

• 2 weeks later...

@damien78

... some suggestions about the iOS app on iPad 

about the Playing view

- it should be fine to have the left banner bigger (the double?) to be able to read the tracks title without cuts, maybe a foldaway banner as in portrait mode

- why not a link/button to open the attached pdf booklet, going back and forth to the browse view is a little .... annoying (am I too lazy? 😉)

about Filters in Browse view

- here too should be fine to have the Year filter (thanks a lot for having added it to the macOS app)

about the iOS app on iPhone (iPhone 7)

- in the Albums view there is no way to hide the keyboard if you use the search feature, this is quite limiting 

.... the more you have the more you would like ....

btw ... I’m very happy with A3.5.x and the sound is fantastic! (... but the crash using filters is still here ....)

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, JML said:

In the Playlists, the first column is titled "TRAC" and one more letter can't really ruin the interface, to say "TRACK" (I hope).  I've been manually recreating playlists, because I cannot import playlists from iTunes and my previous playlists were emptied when I had to redo the database to get a missing album to appear.  [SIGH]

try to modify the column width

track.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dinamoe said:

v3.5.9 - Getting very unexpected digital-squibbly type noise at the start of .DSF or DSD iso files.  In prior versions it was maybe just an audible click or two.  Nothing as intrusive as this.  Tried using DSD/PCM v1.0 and 1.1 and same noises.

Anyone experience this?

try to activate/reactivate "Mute during sample rate change" in "Low level playback Options" under Dac configuration (in Audirvana of course)

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, sebassie said:

I left it alone in both cases.

Here is the complete story:

Both databases were from audirvana plus 3.2.16 and optimised before migrating them into Audirvana 3.5

Migration took a long time. I could speed it up by giving Audirvana max. priority (sudo renice -20 PID).

After migration the number of albums etc. were the same in Audirvana 3.2 and 3.5

When adding new albums (manual sync) all albums were added correctly but, as I said, the number of albums in the database dropped right at the start of syncing.

This was the result:

Database 1: 10.738 albums (3.2.16) versus 10.726 (3.5.7)

Database 2: 56.195 albums (3.2.16) versus 54.999 (3.5.7)

I repeated the whole migration process with version 3.5.9 and got the same result.

I have the same database in JRiver. The data are the same in JRiver and Audirvana plus 3.2.16

I had the same problem.

It is not a bug but a different way to manage albums with more than one album artist

Up to 3.2.16 Audirvana was splitting them in different albums, since 3.5.x it count in different way

for example: if an album has two album artists, let me say Schubert, Franz and Mendelssohn, Felix, the result in 3.2.16 was two albums but the result in 3.5.x is one album and the album artist resulting is Mendelssohn, Felix. In any case the album artist is now the last one ( the album artist defined in the last track of the album.

The same behavior is of course if you have more than two album artist, let me say three: up to 3.2.16 they were 3 albums and since 3.5.x they were 1 album

the solution to obtain the same album count than before 3.5.x is to split this type of albums in different fiscal folders

up to 3.2.16

Folder Schubert, Franz

Folder Album 1

Track 1 album artist Schubert, Franz

Track 2 album artist Schubert, Franz

Track 3 album artist Mendelssohn, Felix

Track 4 album artist Mendelssohn, Felix

result two albums, one for each album artist

since 3.5.x the result is one album with album artist Mendelssohn, Felix

to obtain the same album count you need to create this folder structure

Folder Schubert, Franz

Folder Album 1

Track 1 album artist Schubert, Franz

Track 2 album artist Schubert, Franz

Folder Mendelssohn, Felix

Folder Album 1

Track 3 album artist Mendelssohn, Felix

Track 4 album artist Mendelssohn, Felix

At the beginning of this thread, page 5 and 7, you’ll find my messages to Damien and the answer of Damien is few posts later, #174

hope this will help you

Stefano

My audio system