IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

On 4/23/2019 at 1:30 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

You can try trashing is preferences:

Close Audirvana.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System... When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there, just do a ''cmd J'' to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom... click Show Library Folder and then you'll have access to the rest forever.

Go to the Main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder...
Trash All the files in that folder from A+ (that folder install SysOptimizer)
Go to the Main Library Folder... LaunchDaemons Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder from A+ (SystemOptimizer and prefs files)

Restart Mac. Restart Audirvana, it should ask to install SystemOptimizer at first track playing.

It took me awhile to test this fix (busy) but it took care of my issue.  Thanks again, @RunHomeSlow !

7 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

OK, I trashed Prefs again, Mac D 150 has Int Mode, no Direct Mode, DSD128.

Mytek is only getting DSD 64, no Int Mode, no Direct Mode.

Trashing Prefs previously got DSD 128 w/Mytek, not this time..

I don't know why I'm getting these inconsistencies.

see screenshot on next post

20 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

OK, this is weird-

My Mac D 150 has Direct and Integer Modes, but says it is NOT DSD capable, which of course it is.

Maybe I need to trash the Prefs, again, for the 3rd time.

Yes?

Direct and Integer are not listed for Mytek 192/DSD Dac.

It depends on which Mac OS you are running.  My old 2008 Mac Pro is dedicated to just music and Direct Mode plays fine with El Capitan.  Later versions of the OS need a workaround to enable Direct Mode.  Look around this topic & you'll probably find directions to bring a kext file from an earlier OS to those post-El Capitan.  

5 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Yes, Direct Mode still works on the latest macOS 10.14.5 beta 4 just released.

and Audirvana 3.5.6 latest too. For better sound or not, you'll have to decide on that point :)

Links for enabling Direct Mode back in Audirvana Plus (now not Plus) after El Capitan (10.11.6):
Just wait for the download button to appear…

Sierra Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

High Sierra Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3tdd82o79ps7c1/AudirvanaHighSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Mojave Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq8uvtuov6sudgw/AudirvanaMojaveDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Screen Shot.jpg

In my case I use an Exasound e-22 DAC which comes with a proprietary Mac driver from the company.  I'm thinking I still need this driver installed for the mac to recognize what hardware I'm using.  I can and do use Direct Mode.  Am I in effect using the Exasound driver to identify the hardware to the mac but then substituting Direct Mode to handle the sound?  I am doubtful I could take the Exasound driver off the mac and still play the music.  Would you agree I likely need both drivers?

3 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

The exaSound software should have no effect on Audirvana, regardless of whether Audirvana is using Direct Mode or regular Core Audio mode.

The exaSound software includes an ASIO driver and some software for controlling a few settings on the DAC (automatic shutoff time, maximum volume level, and toggling between ASIO and Core Audio).  I believe HQP is the only music player that uses the ASIO driver.  Audirvana uses Mac Core Audio (even in Direct Mode, just a much smaller subset of Core Audio).  Therefore, I expect Audirvana should work fine without installing the exaSound software, regardless of whether you use Audirvana's Direct Mode.  If you see the exaSound DAC in Audio MIDI Setup without the exaSound software installed, Audirvana should see it too.

Thanks!  That is more than I knew.  I knew about the ASIO & HQP, but had only guessed at how much Direct Mode might be standing in for the Exasound driver.  I probably won't test Audirvana without the Exasound driver for now - it's nice to be able to route hi-rez music seller's samples on various web pages thru the DAC.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an issue with the display of local folders on the left side of the display.  In the older version 2 I clicked on one of them and it opened showing all the playlists within indented a bit to the right.  On the left in album view version 2 showed the album covers.  In the new version 3.5.8 most local folders display no longer open to show playlists within.  All I have is the album covers to the right.  Anyone else see this?  FWIW these playlists were migrated from version 2.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, bnbayer said:

I don't see this. Low Level Playback Options only has memory allocated for tracks to preload. Where is Mute During Sample Change?

Low level playback options.jpg

I have more options showing under Low Level Playback Options as shown below including Mute During Sample Change.  I don't know why yours is more limited.

399.jpg

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

For what i know, i think when upsampling DSD, your safe volume setting, should be set at -3 dB

I've never really understood this, unless perhaps one almost maxes out volume.  It had been set at -3 in the past and I just ended up turning the volume a bit higher.  I haven't heard clipping or seen any other negative.  :)

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I believe it's to leave headroom for "intersample overs." When accurately reconstructing the waveform, though the samples themselves weren't taken at points of distortion, the reconstructed waveform might have segments between samples that would go into clipping unless volume was cut back a bit.

I'll set it back to -3.  Perhaps it will prevent issues.  Thanks Jud!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just updated to 3.5.27 and Qobuz is no longer listed at the bottom of the left hand panel.  The word Qobuz appears as the first entry under Playlists, but it no longer has "Discover" or any of the other normal categories.  Clicking on the word Quboz does nothing.  I looked at my streaming prefs & they are still fine.  I downloaded & re-installed 3.5.27 but nothing changed.  But wait, there's more:  I tried selecting from my local library & the entire app crashed.  I've attached the crash report.

crash report 3.5.27.rtf

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I am very pleased with 3.5.  Once I tweaked the audio settings to 99.5/30000/99/67 and set upsampling to DSD256 using B(6th order) I had sound every bit as good and actually superior to the older version.  About the only quibble I have is that many times when I do a search & make a selection, the "<" back button does not take me back to the results of the search.  But I'm overall quite happy with 3.5.28 .

On 12/13/2019 at 4:17 AM, MemoryPlayer said:

I will try my settings with B (6th order) and let you know!

Btw, the sound quality of this DSD128 album is unbelievable:

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/duke-ellington-indigos

Ok, further listening has me now closer to your settings in that I'm liking 99.5/30000/99/70 using modulator C.  When I bring the Filter Phase up near 100 like you the sound becomes somewhat shrill & fatiguing.  Of course, I'm sure we have different equipment & listening spaces, so that has to figure into our results.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Ghulamr said:

Hi all, I am new to Audirvana for windows and downloaded the free trail. The set up is primarily for my office which consists of windows 10 HP laptop, OPPO 105 (using the 2 channel DAC) and Rokitt KRK powered speakers. I am using Tidal music service. My DAC is not capable of MQA coding and neither is it DSD. 

Question: I am a little confused on the bit rate display on the bottom far right and left of the screen. Can someone please tell me what those are (I believe one is input from the source and other the output what the DAC is playing) but which is which? Thanks, 

The bottom left is the source rate.  The bottom right shows what rate you are upsampling to, if you are upsampling.