IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

There are several Mac file renaming utilities that will change the extension on a batch of files at once, such as "R-Name" (free), "Name Mangler" (25-launch free trial) and "A Better Finder Rename".

Alternatively, this AppleScript will do it:

tell application "Finder"

set mySel to selection --List

repeat with myItem in mySel

if class of myItem is not folder then

ignoring case

if name extension of myItem is "aif" then

set name extension of myItem to "aiff"

end if

end ignoring

end if

end repeat

end tell

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Truly, would *love* to know - I've never found any ripper / player that gets track names, genres, album artwork, etc. more than about 40% correct. I have to "fix" each and every album I've ever ripped (over 3,000 to-date).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

audiozorro,

"Folder.jpg" solution works like a charm, thanks!!!

And thanks to everyone who helped also....

Jose.

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

Hello,

I have the problem since yesterday.

I, am not able to create a new playlist...(using apple losless)

If I start creating playlist after a few minutes audirvana will stopp.

If I create only one album, it is working correct!

After reboot the same problem.

Does anyone knows wahts happend?

Thanks and regards

Karsten

ripping.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-CD-Ripping-Strategy-and-Methodology

You really need another strategy and methodology if your rips are less than 40% correct.

I hate to say that my rips are 100%, but I would be hard pressed to say they are not 95% correct. And why wouldn't they be correct since I am only ripping what tens of thousands of other users have done before me and all that info are in the several online databases that dBpoweramp uses.

But my main point was to say that if you have a music library is 100% correct with all its data and you import that music library into iTunes, there is no excuse for the iTunes library not to be 100% correct. For iTunes to state that it cannot find album artwork that is on my computer only means that the iTunes import sucks. The iTunes programmers should be ashamed to expect users to manually do something that any decent computer program would do automatically. Importing and exporting this data is not rocket science any able Apple programmer should be able to accomplish what many other music players can do.

I had virtually given up on computer based audio because I was unhappy with the quality of playback using iTunes. Audirvana is a huge step up in playback quality.Im wondering if anybody with a knowledge of Objective-C programming has thought about writing a plug in for Front Row making Audirvana the default (or optional) music player?

Hi Damien,

I forgot to mention that I'm still getting the hiccup(audio drop-out) during the first moments of the first track played. Was there a fix that I missed?

Jose.

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

I had to go with Decibel since it (and the others) work well with the Hiface USB converter. Unfortunately Audirvana uses the max output of the Hiface (24/192) rather than the MIDI setting (for my DAC) of 24/96.

Oh well, perhaps someday…

Mac mini (\'10 8gb) -> M2Tech Evo -> Levinson 360S -> AI Mod3B-> VTL Compact 100\'s -> Marten Design Dukes

Have you tried just using one of the other settings? I.E., under "Forced Upsampling" just choose "None" (in which case it should use the bit rate / word depth of the source material) or "4x or 2x upsampling only"? No need to use "Maximum sample rate upsampling".

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi damien78

This project is pretty exciting stuff. An open source high quality Mac player that reads the metadata off WAV files. Like a few people here, i also prefer the sound of WAV over AIFF. Have a library of over 2500 albums all in WAV, and wont convert to anything else.

I don't own a Mac and not tried this software. I'm windows based right now. There are a few reasons i haven't gone down Mac avenue, but it's software like this that makes me take a second look.

Keep up the great work!!

Blaine

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

@Jhwalker

Thanks, I did try that but it get's a little crazy. Plays for a second then stops for a bit, and starts again... With the dac showing a 44.1 signal.

I was able to try it with a 24/48 converter and it sounds pretty good, unfortunately the hiface/decibel combo sounds better.

Mac mini (\'10 8gb) -> M2Tech Evo -> Levinson 360S -> AI Mod3B-> VTL Compact 100\'s -> Marten Design Dukes

That's odd - I have a M2Tech Hiface Evo converter (same driver as the base model Hiface) and everything seems to play at the correct sample rate for me. A note that integer mode appears to do nothing with this DAC - no indication nor sound difference whether on or off.

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

BTW

I have just gone through all of my player SW (Amarra, PM, Decibel, Fidelia & Audirvana), and I believe I prefer Audirvana at this point! I would have had it near last place several versions ago, but it now has seems to generate the highest "goosebump" factor in terms of seeming real. While I sometimes prefer the timbre of Amarra, it truly does not have much of a soundstage compared to the others. PM still sounds "off" to me, Decibel is pleasant, but dull (no air) and Fidelia has an odd "hooded" quality to the midrange that accenuates apparent depth but does not sound natural to me.

Good job Damien. Now if we had the iTunes library browsing access and remote like Fidelia, this would be a win/win solution. I would even be willing to pay for a iOS remote app.

Contribution coming your way, dude.

Keith

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

@khollister

The difference is the DAC. Your Rega goes 24/192 (the max on the M2Tech) whilst my Levinson only goes to 24/96, which seams to be the problem...

I may have to buy either the EVO or the V-link in the very near future, based upon all this great feedback for Audirvana. :)

Ah - I gather you are upsampling? I am not. Never have preferred the sound up oversampling myself - always seems to screw with the soundstage and focus somewhat.

Even without up sampling I can't get the software to work with the hiface, however the Levinson sounds great up sampled to 24/96.

That's really bizarre, since both the "regular" hiface (the dongle) and the Evo use the exact same OS X driver and my Evo works. There must be something about the dongle Hiface that is the problem.

Its great to be able to drag a drop a folder of songs into the play list, but the play order is always wrong when dropping an album in.

I'd love to see "playlists" display the track number from tag or filename, and respect this order by default. Clicking on a playlist column should order the playlist on that item (one click for ascending, two for descending).

Thanks!

This new release brings the "Remember playlist" feature by auto saving the playlist upon exit, and reloading it the next time Audirvana is started. This is switchable in user prefs.

In addition, this is a stability release:

• Fix large playlists loading crash
  • Limit max I/O buffer size in Integer Mode to this mode max value
  • Restore display in highlighted color during track position seek (slider grabbed by the user)
  • Don't change float mode stream format if the candidate one is not 24bit and of same samplerate : this should fix the regression with the HiFace
  • Implement Integer Mode decoding for 24bit data low aligned in 32bit. Should help for such DACs

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Damien,

Thanks for the update, the playlist autosave is a welcome addition, however, a search box is needed just like in all the other players to narrow down a music selection, especially if a large number of songs is loaded.

There still seems to be a bit depth issue as well. Beofre starting Audirvana, Audio MIDI shows 16-bit. After Audirvana is started, Audirvana seems to force Audio MIDI into 32-bit, while the Audirvana's own screen shows 24-bit. So there are two different values shown in MIDI and Audirvana. The MIDI seems to be the correct one, as the 32-bit causes a problem for other apps to use the sound output. This has happened both with a DAC attached and without a DAC, so it is not a DAC issue. The 32-bit becomes "permanently locked" as no other application can undo it and the only way I've found to reset it is to do a PRAM reset/restart. Perhaps you or others are encountering the same. Thank you.

First of all, I'd like to say a huge thank you for what I think is THE best sounding audio playback software out there for the Mac. It's beaten everything I've tried out so far, and I like it even better still with the new facelift - very funky!

I have a query regarding the settings for the audio quality:

I am currently using the SRC libSampleRate set to 24/96, as most of my listening is 16/44.1 Apple lossless files upsampled.

What happens when I play a proper 24/96 audio file through these same settings? Does it try to upsample a 24/96 file to 24/96, or do the files get passed through un-changed? Or should I play 24/96 files using the Apple Core Audio setting instead? I hope this question makes sense lol!

Many thanks!

- John

27" iMac Retina 32 GB RAM / iTunes / Audirvana / Chord Mojo / Revox A77 mk.4 / Garrard 301 SME 309 / Naim Nac 12 & Nap 160 / Quad 34 & 606 / Mission M72 speakers.