IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

Hi Damien78,

I just wanted to congratulate you for having both the skill and courage to take on such a major project.

Most impressive is the donation of your time for no commercial benefit and also your incredibly quick responses in fixing your "customers'" issues.

I hope the day comes when you can commit yourself full time to perfecting your player while continuing to offer it for free by attracting advertisers to your web site, as Chris C does here.

I have just spent the whole morning playing Audirvana and everything worked without a hitch, including the automatic changing of the sample rate. I played 16/44.1 files ripped from my CDs and 24/48 files from the Society of Sound using ALAC, AIFF and FLAC codecs. For a non technical person this says a lot about the ease of use of your player.

I was really seriously impressed with the sound. I listened to Diana Krall (live) and Charlie Winston, and their voices were very natural as if they were in the room with me. I was using a very basic and inexpensive system - 13" Mac pro with 4G RAM via USB into a DACport (24/96 by CEntrance) and then Akimate active speakers (combination of a 40watt built in Creek amp and Epos speakers). Total system cost is only around $US800 and shows that audiophile quality music is now readily available to all.

Jurgen confirmed that your player is bit perfect, and together with your buffering system which pre loads the file into RAM, supports my long held belief, shared by Linn in the 80s and Chris C of this site, that if can get all the information correctly off the source, and isloate any electronic noise or mechanical vibration, you can get great sound out of almost any amp / speaker system.

I note that a lot of contributors to this thread have confirmed that their "budget" systems got a great lift in SQ.

I found your playlist load and save mechanism quite easy to use so now all you really need to do is add some user friendly features. Like alot of people I use PCs for business and MACs for pleasure and do not live in either "camp", and suggest you have a look at J Rivers MC15's method of loading music - much superior and easier to use than iTunes.

Well done again and thank you very much for increasing my listening pleasure.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Hi Damien,

I really liked your reply to my blog - a loving family and interesting work is a terrific combination and beats $s anyday. Combine that with your Audirvana hobby and music and it "sounds" like youv'e got your life very well balanced.

The feature that I most like in J River MC15 player is its ability to nominate the folder locations where your music files are kept (i.e. the path to the files) and then automatically keep your player up to date when new files are added.

This is great because I keep my different rez files 16/44.1 and 24/96, and different codecs ALAC, FLAC, AIFF, AAC etc in diferent folder locatons so I don't get them mixed up.

It has an import facility that allows you to choose one of the following:

- add location of music files (using a browse function you

nominate the folder locations)

- automatically update music files

- update music files now

I believe iTunes only allows one file location at a time and you have to use the "automatically add to iTunes" facility which I find a pain.

IMO you are on exactly on the right track for audiophiles by focusing on SQ and keeping your player as simple and flexible to use as possible. A free player that plays all codecs with automatic changing of the sample rate to a high SQ is exctly what is needed and can be your own niche.

IMO you should continue to focus on three main areas:

- continue to improve and optimise SQ

- make your player as robust as possible

- make it easy for your "customers" to access their music

and then play it anyway they wish using smart playlists.

If you were able to combine J Rivers MC15 music management with iTunes user friendly smart playlist feature you would be on a real winner.

Personally I do not think you need to worry about offering a CD ripping facility as most audiophiles like to use dedicated software such as EAC and dbpoweramp. Intermediate users can continue to rip in iTunes and use it for their general listening and for synching ipods etc, and then share their iTunes music folder folder with your player when they want to do some serious listening.

i.e. customers can just rip to a specific file location and your player can simply read it from there.

With regard to Audirvana I note that when adding to a playlist the + button facility at the bottom LH corner works well but if I try and use the Load Playlist from the drop down menu the files stay "greyed out". Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your player, I am travelling at the moment and having a lot of fun with it and can't wait until I get home to Sydney and play it through my more sophisticated Benchmark DAC1 HDR and ADAM A7 studio monitors system.

All the Best

Hi Damien,

You were right .... I was tring to load audiofiles and not playlists using "Load Playlist".

What is generally referred to as "operator error".

I am on holidays on Australia's east coast, about 3 hours south of Sydney, and spent the day surfing with my 11 yearl old son and then listening through Audirvana to Bob Dylan's "Modern Times" and "Blood on the Tracks", Lloyd Cole's "Don't get weird on me Babe" and currently have Dianna Krall "Live in Paris" playing in the back ground as I write this.

I've had a great day thanks to your skill and generousity.

Hi Damien,

It is 8pm in Sydney and Christmas Day is coming to a close, whereas it is just starting in the US and Europe so have a good one.

• 1 month later...

Hi Damien,

How was your trip to the US?

I haven't blogged for a while but I have been following the thread with interest and see that you have been very busy keeping us all happy with our various demands on your time and expertise!

I have been using Audirvana on my MAC PRO (while traveling)and J Rivers on my PC in my office as my go to players.

Still very impressed with the sound of Audirvana and have no issues except sourcing the music files. Preparing playlists is a pain in Audirvana (bloody hell we are spolit lazy things)compared to J Rivers.

I wrote on this thread a couple of months ago that

"the feature that I most like in J River MC15 player is its ability to nominate the folder location(s) where your music files are kept (i.e. the path to the files) and then automatically keep your player up to date when new files are added.

This is great because I keep my different rez files 16/44.1 and 24/96, and different codecs ALAC, FLAC, AIFF, AAC etc in diferent folder locatons so I don't get them mixed up.

It has an import facility that allows you to choose one of the following:

- add location of music files (using a browse function you

nominate the folder locations)

- automatically update music files

- update music files now

I believe iTunes only allows one file location at a time and you have to use the "automatically add to iTunes" facility which I find a pain.

IMO you are on exactly on the right track for audiophiles by focusing on SQ and keeping your player as simple and flexible to use as possible. A free player that plays all codecs with automatic changing of the sample rate to a high SQ is exctly what is needed and can be your own niche.

IMO you should continue to focus on three main areas:

- continue to improve and optimise SQ

- make your player as robust as possible

- make it easy for your "customers" to access their music

and then play it anyway they wish using smart playlists.

If you were able to combine J Rivers MC15 music management with a smart playlist feature you would be on a real winner".

I really think you should stay clear of iTunes if you can - I can see no reason why users cannot continue to use iTunes for ripping and synching their Apple TV and ipods, or download in FLAC from B&W Society of Sound say, into certain folders and then simply have Audirvana point to those folders.

Thanks again for a great player.

Hi Jeff,

I also did not know that.

I jsust played around with it and I can now simply prepare a playlist using iTunes "Smart Playlists" or whatever and then simply load it into Audirvana by dragging the playlist into the Audirvana module and save it with the same name.

This is very cool and makes me wish I had not posted my earlier post, although I still think it is best long term for Audirvana to be independent of iTunes if possible and to follow the J River model for managing music files.

Thanks again for the great tip..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Damien,

Your a clever bastard to be able to do this.

Sound is really very very good - don't know how much I am influenced by the placebo effect but I am really enjoying your work.

One comment - the bottom rh side of the display is saying a file is 16 bit when it is 24 bit.

If I load a playlist by right clicking on folder and then "open with" audirvana the computerr freezes but it loads OK using File Load playlist from inside audirvana.

Appears that the CPU is working really hard - how do I check the load?

Thanks again .... donation on its way.

Hi Damien,

I think I have the same problem as clar2391.

When I play Charlie Winston or Gwyneth Herbert, artists recorded by B&W's Society of Sound at 24bit/48khz, Audirvana displays the following at the bottom right hand side of the display.

16/48 to 32/192 D/A oversampling converter.

In Audirvana preferences I have every box ticked and oversampling set to max, max memory set to 3072MB, and quality set to best.

I am using a MacPro 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo with 4Gig of RAM and OS 10.6.6 ... Audio Midi shows 192000.0 hz and 2ch-32 bit.

Despite this the sound is truly wonderful and I sincerely doubt that the file is being truncated from 24 bit down to 16 bit.

Hi Damien,

You are getting a lot of issues to deal with, which is very understandable in light of the monumental task you have set yourself.

I just wanted to reinfoce all the positive comments you have received and make sure you understand how much your hard work and creativity is appreciated.

Audirvana is a stunning piece of design, which fits my needs perfectly, and you should be extremely proud of what you have achieved to date.

Please give yourself a pat on the back and try not to get too overwhelmed with all the issues - remember to prioritise and then know them off one at a time mate.

Action speak louder than words so I have decided to double my donation as a show of appreciation .... you will receive this next week.

Nearly there!

Hi Damien,

I received your email acknowledging my donation. Thanks for that.

I also have a 16 bit issue:

The bottom right hand side of the Audirvana display is showing a file is 16 bit when it is in fact 24 bit.

It shows "16/48 to 32/192 D/A oversampling converter" for Society of Sound 24 bit downloads.

Audio MIDI Set up is showing 1920000 2ch-32 bit

I am using USB - M2 Tech Hiface - coaxial input of a Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

Is this just a display error or is Audirvana truncating 24 bit to 16 bit before oversampling, although It certainly doesn't sound like it.

For you guys who don't like being forced to use mediocre applications by the mega corporations of Apple and Microsoft, that can't;

1. automatically change sample rates or

2. play FLAC or

3. perform every possible processing (loading, decoding, SRC, integer formatting, ...) before playback

and who are now enjoying these benefits and the excellent sound quality of Audirvana, how about supporting Damien. I am sure any amount of donation no matter how small would be appreciated.

He has been extremely generous with his talent so it is pretty simple really - if we want him to perfect and debug Audirvana then we need to support him.

It is a very rare bird that has the technical expertise and audio knowledge to be able do what he is doing.

If they are not supported they will fly away.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Elcorso,

I find your earlier comments offensive and childish.

Quote:

"Really I can't enjoy music this way anymore, then should I return to iTunes, or play only reglar CD'S & SACD's?

Some app's developers run in order to get his "baby" as a winner, trying to improve it at us beta tester time expense, or even worst payed testers..."

I can visualise you stamping your foot as you say this.

Understand that Audirvana is a FREE open source player, which is being developed gratis by Damien for everyone's music pleasure.

He wouldn't be doing it if iTunes wasn't so limiting in sound quality, inability to automatically change sample rates or play the most popular universal codec ...FLAC. Audirvana does all this and more.

The idea of open source is that we all contribute by either helping him to write the code, support him financially through donations, or give him positive and negative feedback on issues... hopefully those without any technical knowledge, and who are using and enjoying his FREE player, will do 2 and 3 as a matter of decency.

Either do one or these three things or do as you suggest - go back to your CDs and iTunes with all its problems.

It's the Damiens of the world that create real improvements in the way we listen to music as well as freedom from being held hostage to the platforms of the mega corporations such as Microsoft or Apple.

I personally have had no issues with Audirvana and find it a revelation in sound quality ... if you study this thread you will find most problems (not all) are related to the various forms of DACs he has to cater for, and constant personal requests from people wanting this and that, more so than any real issues with the software itself.

Your doing a great job Damien ... we are all behind you except for only a few that don't get it and never will.

Enjoy your CDs Elcorso.

Dear Elcorso,

Thanks for your reply - glad to hear you were only joking and have done the right thing and supported Damien financially.

You certainly do not owe me an apology, however, maybe Damien. Have another read of your comments .. do you really think they are funny?!

I am certainly not looking for a fight, I just want to make sure Damien realises how much his work is appreciated and that he doesn't get the "sh....ts" with the constant demands for this and that.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my blog.

All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi khollister,

Can I suggest that you have a reread of your last blog and see if you can't find space for the words 'please" and "thank you".

I understand all the points you raise and they are valid, however, they read like a list of demands.

It is really important that we all remember when someone like Damien has the technical ability and courage to "have a go" at such an enormous (and important) task that they feel their work is appreciated and respected by others.

If you find the software "annoying to use" then maybe it would be best for you to wait until the development process is finished, however, as we all know in the real world that will never happen.

Hi khollister,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear you have supported Damien financially, as have I. Audirvana has provided me with an immense amount of musical enjoyment.

Please understand that I am simply concerned with the constant demands that are put on Damien for Audirvana to do this and that, and that he doesn't get the sh..ts or burnt out... He does also have a real job and a family.

That's it... not trying to be a dick or judgemental but as a financial contributor, user of Audirvana, and friend of Damien, I will make it my business to support him.

On another note this thread has been an incredible source of information for me and I am also very appreciative of those that contribute to it.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your tip on adding playlists etc already constructed within iTunes. Works great.

You were right about minding my own business - I obviously didn't realise how closely you were working with Damien.

You offer to write a "how to" manual is great appreciated.

Lesson learnt and please accept my apologies.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Damien,

Greetings from Sydney, Aus. Some feedback for you.

I have an M2 HiFace connected to a MacPro with 4G RAM playing into the spdif input of a Benchmark HDR DAC 1.

Audirvana preferences:

Audio System: exclusive access, max I/O buffer, integer mode

max memory = 3Gig from max of 4Gig

max spl rate = 192kHz

max spl rate switching latency = none

Audio Filters: Converter = tried both

Quality = Best

Forced Upsampling = tried all three

Everything is working perfectly and I am looking forward to the results of the compiler A/B test.

As always thanks a lot for your time and effort. I am really enjoying the music and learning a lot following the contribution from everyone on this thread.

Might be time for another donation!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi avuroski,

For what it's worth I am currently using a MacBookPro 2.66Ghz, OSX 10.6.7, 4G Ram, with Audirvana 0.8c via CEntrance DacPort into AkiMate powered speakers and also Sennheiser HD650 headphones without any problems.

Hi Avuroski,

You have done everything I would have tried to erase your clicking issue.

I'm sorry but I don't have a lot of technical expertise.

Maybe Damien or someone else with a computing background viewing this thread can give you some other ideas to try and fix your problem.

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi Damien and all,

Just confirming debug info for the Benchmark HDR DAC1 using the USB input (24/96) from a MacPro.

Audirvana rev 0.9.2 debug information:

"Currently playing in Integer Mode:

Non mixable linear PCM interleaved 24 bits little endian.....

Hog Mode is on ...

Devices found: 2"

I also plugged the M2 Tech Hiface USB/SPDIF converter into the MacPro and the coaxial input (192/24) of the Benchmark and the debug info confirmed it was NOT playing in integer mode.

Audirvana rev 0.9.2 debug information:

Currently playing in standard 32 bit float mode

Mixable linear PCM interleaved 32bits little endian ....

Hog Mode is on ...

Devices found: 2"

Hi bulmanxxi,

As this is a free open source player, and Damien has played virtually a lone hand, I am sure he would welcome your assistance if you have the necessary skills to write a search function.

He continually asks for help.

Personally I don't feel it is appropriate to comapre what he has achieved to those players who charge for their software and therefore have the required inhouse resources.

He has rightly, in my opinion, focused on sound quality, software stability and assisting those with more esoteric DAcs. In doing so he has produced a wonderful player that has given me an immense amount of pleasure.

The search function has been on Damien's to do list for a long time and I am sure it is simply a matter of dealing with the priorities as he sees fit, as well as go to work and raise a family.

If you are really pissed off by the lack of a search function a simple fix is to make a playlist in iTunes and then open Audirvana and:

1. click the + button bottom left corner of the playlist screen

2. select the Music button under Media in the new window

3. select the iTunes button and then select your playlist

5. point at the palylist and under "edit" select all" and select open

Now you can enjoy some music while you wait for the search function.

Hi Damien and sidssp,

Audirvana rev 0.9.2,

Currently playing in integer mode.

Non - mixable linear PCM ....

Integer mode is on

Devices found: 2

Keep up the great work Damien - I am getting a great deal of pleasure listening via Audirvana.

Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...

After listening extensively to Audirvana on my Macpro, I am finally changing over from PC and purchasing a new MAC mini as my main music server, and I have been pondering the following questions:

1. Music File Storage

If Audirvana first loads and decodes the music files into memory (RAM) prior to playing them, does that then mean it is irrelevant where the files are stored ... be it an internal SSD, external hard drive (connected via USB or firewire) or a NAS.

i.e. is the extra expense of an SDD drive no longer warranted using Audirvana?

If this is correct does it logically follow that installing my music files onto a NAS and then streaming them via wired ethernet to the MAC mini will not compromise sound quality in any way and be a cost effective way to go as Audirvana always loads and plays the music files from RAM?

2. Lion vs Leopard OS

I have been away from the forum for a while but picked up that integer mode no longer works due to upgrades made to the apple OS system. Is this the Lion OS they are talking about? Would this also apply to automatic upgrades to the OS on my MACpro I purchased 18 months ago? How do you stop the upgrades stuffing up integer mode?

What advantages if any does the leopard OS have over lion?

3. Should I convert my files from ALAC to AIFF

I like the convenience of ALAC for playback on my iPhone, due to its limited storage, and I want to avoid two libraries and I am not interested in compressing down to 128kps with iTunes. For those that can hear the difference between AIFF and ALAC files (I can't) can you still hear the difference when playing the files using Audirvana?

Reason I ask is that one explanation put forward for the sound difference is that ALAC files are decoded (uncompressed) on the fly with iTunes causing additional CPU usage and therefore extra electrical interference. I assume this is not the case with Audirvana as the are first loaded into memory (RAM) and then decoded.

Like everyone else I want the best sound for the lowest $ and don't want to buy all the extras if I don't have too and ideally I would buy the most basic MAC mini model and simply increase the RAM to 8G and connect it up to my NAS.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Guys,

Based on all your advice I intend to bite the bullet and 'do it once and do it right" by purchasing a Mac mini with the following configuration:

2.5Ghz i5, 8G RAM, 256G SSD

I will store the music on a NAS and stream it via ethernet.

Any comments?

I am very disappointed that integer mode will not be available with the new mac mini preloaded with Lion OS.

This is most probably a dumb question but will the OS (10.6.3) that came on disc with my 2010 MAC pro work on the Mac mini?

Jud you wrote:

".... it's pretty easy to install Snow Leopard to a partition on the Mini and set up Snow Leopard as the default that the Mini will boot into."

Can you steer me to a link or blog that can show me how to do this?

I find it increasingly ironic that whenever you finally think you have your head around your music system something comes out of left field (no integer mode in Lion) and blows it out of the water. Very hard to find one size fits all and we/I always seem to be finding work arounds.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to steer me in the right direction. Greatly appreciated.

Hi Roch,

Your idea of buying an older 2010 Mac mini with the original OS (and therefore integer mode compliant) is an excellent and simple solution and it is what I will do.

I will then upgrade to 8G RAM and install a SSD with the ramjet gear and should hopefully end up with an excellent music server at a very reasonable price.

Thanks again for the links.