IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

is much more different from his than you explain. Your signal path is quite complex, going from the computer, to a wireless Airfoil over to an Apple Airport Express, then traversing two different digital paths by being converted (out of the Airport Express) from toslink into a CO2, then to coax, and finally arriving at a DAC, etc. There are at least eight different connections that occur. I gotta think that takes its toll eventually. It doesn't surprise me that the Audirvana does good things to this signal path.

In the end it's all about the music, and it's a great thing that we have several players that allow great music to arrive at each of our speaker systems (or headphones). Ain't computer audio a PITA, er, sorry, wonderful!! :)

BTW, the Thetas and Vandersteens are no slouches...nice musical products.

• 2 weeks later...

HAVE to use the max setting (total memory minus 1 GB) he said that the setting is flexible up to the max, so if you want to set 4 GB for an 8 GB system you can! Or go for 7GB in an 8GB system, your choice. What is the pushback?

• 2 months later...

My Macbook 4GB (SSD) which plays PM and Amarra memory playback just fine, stutters with any/all music in Audirvana 0.6.0. When I deselect "max i/o buffer" and restart all is well. Weird. Also, debug says "playing standard 32bit float mode"...does this mean Weiss DAC2/Minerva (firewire) doesn't do integer mode (although it's checked and hog mode is on and working)?

I applaud your great strides since I last looked at Audirvana, and want very much to hear integer mode results (no serious listening yet). Thx

Ted

"Hello Ted

Don't know what the "integer mode" involves. I thought transfer via Firewire was in integer mode anyway, but maybe his integer mode is something else. I suggest to try the new player versions with the DAC2 and see what happens.

I do not see what should be gained with "integer mode". If a player is bit-transparent from file to DAC then it can't get "more transparent".

Regards,

Daniel"

and from Gordon Rankin, about integer mode and firewire.....

"......there is another issue with Firewire units. They just don't look the same at the driver level as USB devices do. They don't look like stereo units and they some of them support big enddian or little enddian (bit format MSB first or MSB last). This all has to be considered in a real application."

My debug info certainly shows like its a one channel DAC (although lord knows I can't read debug reports):

Audio buffer frame size : 14 to 4200 frames

Physical (analog) volume control: No

Virtual (digital) volume control: No

Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2

Channel mapping: L:Stream 0 channel 0 R:Stream 0 channel 1

1 output streams:

Stream ID 0x103 2 channels starting at 1

6 virtual formats:

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @192.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @176.4kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @96.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @88.2kHz